• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Rules Memphis FR (#1 Recruit) James Wiseman Ineligible

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be my first post, but as a Memphis Tigers fan, I feel that I should talk about this issue from my own biased opinion.

This is a totally unique situation, and it's a shame that James Wiseman should have to suffer for it. Penny Hardaway is considered a booster because he made $1,000,000 donation to the University of Memphis in 2008. The donation was not for the basketball or football teams, but to help the university build a sports hall of fame, and at the time he was not involved in coaching at any level.

in 2010, Penny volunteered to coach in his childhood neighborhood when his mentor and coach at Lester Middle School, Desmond Merriweather, was seemingly on his deathbed. Merriweather survived and Penny coached the team to the state championship. Merriweather moved on to East High, and Penny continued to coach at Lester for free.

In 2012 Penny started his AAU program and since has helped many young players not only succeed on the court, but in the classroom as well. James Wiseman's is not the only family Penny helped with living expenses during his years with Team Penny. I know it opens up a whole new can of worms, but how can a man be ostracized for giving of his time and money to help poor children achieve their goals both on the basketball court and in life in general?

This is where the rubber hits the road. The NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to punish a coach and a player for actions that would seem to further the fulfillment of their organization's stated mission. James Wiseman was a straight A student at one of the most prestigious prep schools in the nation before he moved to Memphis and transferred to East High. Penny Hardaway made a significant donation to his alma mater long before he ever thought of coaching. It's hypocrisy in its highest form.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be my first post, but as a Memphis Tigers fan, I feel that I should talk about this issue from my own biased opinion.

This is a totally unique situation, and it's a shame that James Wiseman should have to suffer for it. Penny Hardaway is considered a booster because he made $1,000,000 donation to the University of Memphis in 2008. The donation was not for the basketball or football teams, but to help the university build a sports hall of fame, and at the time he was not involved in coaching at any level.

in 2010, Penny volunteered to coach in his childhood neighborhood when his mentor and coach at Lester Middle School, Desmond Merriweather, was seemingly on his deathbed. Merriweather survived and Penny coached the team to the state championship. Merriweather moved on to East High, and Penny continued to coach at Lester for free.

In 2012 Penny started his AAU program and since has helped many young players not only succeed on the court, but in the classroom as well. James Wiseman's is not the only family Penny helped with living expenses during his years with Team Penny. I know it opens up a whole new can of worms, but how can a man be ostracized for giving of his time and money to help poor children achieve their goals both on the basketball court and in life in general?

This is where the rubber hits the road. The NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to punish a coach and a player for actions that would seem to further the fulfillment of their organization's stated mission. James Wiseman was a straight A student at one of the most prestigious prep schools in the nation before he moved to Memphis and transferred to East High. Penny Hardaway made a significant donation to his alma mater long before he ever thought of coaching. It's hypocrisy in its highest form.

If you are connected with a school, don't provide financial assistance to potential athletes until their amateur eligibility has passed.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying. I still think that the bottom line is that Penny is being unfairly ostracized. He was not in coaching at all when he made the donation in 2008 and was not the Memphis coach when he gave
Wiseman's mother the money to move.

Again, I'm biased, but I still think Hardaway is a good person who has consistently given of his money and his time to help others and was somewhat ignorant of the rules.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying. I still think that the bottom line is that Penny is being unfairly ostracized. He was not in coaching at all when he made the donation in 2008 and was not the Memphis coach when he gave
Wiseman's mother the money to move.

Again, I'm biased, but I still think Hardaway is a good person who has consistently given of his money and his time to help others and was somewhat ignorant of the rules.

None of this has anything to do with the violation.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I see you are a Ducks fan. Should Chandler Lawson be declared ineligible because he played on Team Penny and at East High?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I see you are a Ducks fan. Should Chandler Lawson be declared ineligible because he played on Team Penny and at East High?

Did Penny give him or his family any money?

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UofM gave his father a job. So I gueshe would only be ineligible at UofM.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course Penny gave his family money, he gave everybody money. It's called charity. The sorry bastard has $50 million in the bank, and he likes to give his money away.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course Penny gave his family money, he gave everybody money. It's called charity. The sorry bastard has $50 million in the bank, and he likes to give his money away.

Feel free to post any evidence that Penny gave Lawson money.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am being sarcastic. I am sure Penny gave the Lawsons shoes. Shoes paid for by Phil Knight.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am being sarcastic. I am sure Penny gave the Lawsons shoes. Shoes paid for by Phil Knight.

Every college basketball athlete at a major program gets free shoes. The schools have marketing agreements with shoe companies for that express purpose.