• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Issues Blackmail Letter to Former Miami Players

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
"If you don't answer our questions, you will be considered guilty"

Hmmmm. Guess the NCAA never heard of the 5th Amendment, which is really irrelevent because they have no authority to compel former players to testify.

A desperate act.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link?

Also, the 5th amendment online applies to the US Justice system, not the NCAA "justice" system.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with nole on this. The NCAA is basically telling them that they have enough information to feel justified in punishing them, and they can either answer questions, cooperate to help sort the situation out, or they can simply be punished outright.

For the record, the justice system does do this in a way. Cooperate with us and become our informant or we'll seek prosecution.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Agree with nole on this. The NCAA is basically telling them that they have enough information to feel justified in punishing them, and they can either answer questions, cooperate to help sort the situation out, or they can simply be punished outright.

For the record, the justice system does do this in a way. Cooperate with us and become our informant or we'll seek prosecution.

Or...They can't prove the selacious crap Shapiro was selling and they want to make it a headline hanging.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? They want the big fish. The players can either cooperate and become the lesser evil or they can take all the heat themselves. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Remember, these are former players which the NCAA has no authority to compel to testify.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I guess there isn't anything to worry about dude....

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Then I guess there isn't anything to worry about dude....

Except that the NCAA seems to be willing to take the word of a convicted con man without cooberating evidence from the accused.

Don't get me wrong, I will accept what ever penalty they see fit for provable offenses.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit, I just realized that you're taking the, "We did nothing wrong" angle here.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you get nervous about the (govt agency not to be named) statement and cut it?

I didn't want to derail the conversation. I've been planning a thread in the politics board anyway.

Back to the point, though. I hate the "Win at all cost, look the other way as long as people are making money" element of America, and The U kind of embodies that. Maybe not now, but their whole image is based on it. I hate it with unbridled passion.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is going to be considered guilty? Miami, maybe. The former players, no. They can't do anything to former players. This is ridiculous.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I didn't want to derail the conversation. I've been planning a thread in the politics board anyway.

Back to the point, though. I hate the "Win at all cost, look the other way as long as people are making money" element of America, and The U kind of embodies that. Maybe not now, but their whole image is based on it. I hate it with unbridled passion.

Fair enough. I'm all for fair justice. We obviously did some things that are proven (and we already penalized ourselves for those). We will get some more sanctions, hopefully they will be for proven offenses not hear-say.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Who is going to be considered guilty? Miami, maybe. The former players, no. They can't do anything to former players. This is ridiculous.

Exactly.