• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, looks like coach was right about Joe Burrow...

give the man a cigar...

Fire Smoking GIF by VVS FILMS

As a completely unbiased NFL fan I think the Bengals should trade Burrow to an NFC team.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer is done after this season.....he'll be the next Trojans coach.

Or the LSU Tigers HC....

I don't expect him to be successful, very few CFB coaches are successful in the NFL. And before I say this next thing in no way am I comparing these two coaches. It's just an example of a CFB coach making the jump to the NFL and struggling mightily. Jimmy Johnson lost his first eight games and went 1-15 his first season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No but I was starving after eating the butter butters.

Then the munchie's got you bad. Thankfully I don't get the munchies, just end up with cottonmouth.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it'd be a good fit. Tomlin would have cache and being a SB winner is definitely ideal in getting immediate respect. Having said that, USC is similar to Miami in terms of needing a reset on culture; Tomlin I feel would have issues around re-shaping the culture that's plagued USC (just like Miami). He never has been known of running a tight ship and that's needed in CFB. Also, recruiting and having to gravel to 18 year olds is a huge gut check.

I'm not so sure. In the NFL, he understands that he's dealing with grown men, many of whom are making more money than he is. That alone changes the player/coach relationship. In college, he doesn't have to deal with that.

Sure, they're 18-22 year olds, which I agree, can present it's own challenges. But I think that most would stay in line because they know that going to USC and being coached by someone at Tomlin's level, could all but guarantee them getting to the NFL.

Plus, he doesn't necessarily have to be the "hammer", so to speak. He can assign a coach that the players like. For example, if I were taking over at USC, I'd do whatever I could to get Donte Williams to stay...he's a great recruiter, the kids love him and he's already been working to address the accountability issues that were never dealt with under Helton. In fact, if he had any head coaching experience....I'd be in favor of him getting the job.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect him to be successful, very few CFB coaches are successful in the NFL. And before I say this next thing in no way am I comparing these two coaches. It's just an example of a CFB coach making the jump to the NFL and struggling mightily. Jimmy Johnson lost his first eight games and went 1-15 his first season.
Kingsbury is bucking the trend of CFB coaches failing in the NFL....

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure. In the NFL, he understands that he's dealing with grown men, many of whom are making more money than he is. That alone changes the player/coach relationship. In college, he doesn't have to deal with that.

Sure, they're 18-22 year olds, which I agree, can present it's own challenges. But I think that most would stay in line because they know that going to USC and being coached by someone at Tomlin's level, could all but guarantee them getting to the NFL.

Plus, he doesn't necessarily have to be the "hammer", so to speak. He can assign a coach that the players like. For example, if I were taking over at USC, I'd do whatever I could to get Donte Williams to stay...he's a great recruiter, the kids love him and he's already been working to address the accountability issues that were never dealt with under Helton. In fact, if he had any head coaching experience....I'd be in favor of him getting the job.

The thing is though, you have to have balance. Everything starts at the top, if you're passive as a coach, that can tend to have a trickle down effect in college. CFB teams tend to take on the persona of the HC. It's one of those debates we could have for hours and there'd be no indication of who's right though? Just a matter of perspective.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was kinda hoping Tua would work out, but clearly that ain't happening...

We don't know how to build around him. Not going to label him a bust, but I always knew we'd have to have an elite OL around him; the Phins don't have that, and I seriously doubt they ever build an OL like that with this management in place.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingsbury is bucking the trend of CFB coaches failing in the NFL....

Kingsbury's a difficult one to gauge in CFB. He was coaching in a conference where Texas Tech is probably the 4th most liked team in the state of Texas alone (behind TAMU, UT and TCU). It's difficult to get recruits to want to come out to West Texas (Lubbock).

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingsbury's a difficult one to gauge in CFB. He was coaching in a conference where Texas Tech is probably the 4th most liked team in the state of Texas alone (behind TAMU, UT and TCU). It's difficult to get recruits to want to come out to West Texas (Lubbock).
You can't argue with his success with the Cardinals, especially this season. He's doing a hell of a job.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we really know for sure is that USC will likely fuck it up. They’ve made one good hire over the last 40 years and at the end of the day Pete Carroll was their 2nd or 3rd choice for the job.

It's certainly possible.

Pete wasn't even on the radar until he happened to be on campus visiting his daughter. If memory serves, she was on the volleyball team or something and he was there for a match. Mike Garrett was getting desperate and offered him the job.

The last 2 athletic directors were idiots. Pat Haden was dead set on re-creating the Pete Carroll era and hired a couple of guys from that era while ignoring their obvious issues. Ironically, Kiffin would be a great hire now. Jury is still out on Sark. Neither was ready at the time. But Haden hired them anyway.

Lynn Swann had no desire to actually work, he just liked being able to say that he was the USC AD. Just about everyone I know believes that the only reason he hired Helton was because he didn't want to do the work of a real coaching search.

None of the last 3 had any experience as an AD, but the President at the time wanted "SC guys". Now we have a President and AD that have no previous USC ties and the AD actually has experience as an AD and hired the coach that has Cincy unbeaten and sitting at #2 in the rankings.

In other words, we finally have an AD who knows how to be an AD. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is though, you have to have balance. Everything starts at the top, if you're passive as a coach, that can tend to have a trickle down effect in college. CFB teams tend to take on the persona of the HC. It's one of those debates we could have for hours and there'd be no indication of who's right though? Just a matter of perspective.

Yes and no. If you have a coach that handles the accountability of players and the players know he has the backing of the head coach...the players will comply.

One of the reasons Tomlin has had the success he has had and lasted as long as he has is that he knows how to adjust to his players which typically means not only on the field, but off of it as well. I'd think/hope that he'd do the same in college.

Obviously, we won't know how it would work out unless/until he actually got hired and that's a longshot, imo.