• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA is a joke today.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread would make sense if it was 2008.....NBA is actually starting to get good again. It was bad during the years of egos and me, me, me, but it is slowly climbing out of that selfish state and becoming more about rings.

As much as we all want to bash LeBron for surrounding himself with other all-stars, or going to a team and forming an all-star team, and other superstars doing the same, the motivation and idea behind it I can agree with. Players these days want to win championships, meaning it's becoming more about winning then their paychecks. I can accept that.

mid 2000's it seemed paycheck meant more then the W's.
You know, when a guy listens to you, I mean really listens......you make sense. With any subject that is NOT related in ANY way to Oregon Duck football that is....:D

Krispy Treat

3-6 Latvia
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I find funny is the flopping and the ref baiting. At least James Harden made it into an art.

I blame the Malice at the Palace.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funniest/most ironic part of your post is that you don't even realize that you will eventually be the old man yelling "Get off my lawn."

I already do this. Constantly. I avoid malls to prevent temptation from punching some kids in the face.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been watching since the early 1980's. The game now is just fine. Players today know how to play the game. They play defense. They hit midrange shots. You really think everyone back in the day sold out on defense every night unlike today's players? Come on now.

There's some beautiful basketball being played right now on teams such as Golden State and San Antonio. Great defense. Great ball movement. Skilled players.

I'll agree that Harden is a lazy piece of trash on defense though.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
different rules and different eras.

the Detroit bad boys couldn't play in this era as they would foul out every game.

Ill just enjoy what i like about it now.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes! One more than this year's squad. They had a lot of pride on defense according to the OP though.

So do the Washington Generals.

germanjohn

Splendiferous Puddin' Pop
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who grew up watching the NBA like me starting in early 70's was treated to a great sport. I was huge Laker fan but I loved watching many of the other teams as well. Defense was as exciting to watch as much as it has always been in the NFL. You couldn't wait to see how your team and it's players performed defensively vs the top scores on other teams. The game then was exciting and non stop competitive week in and week out. The NBA fans of today just have no clue as to how this " once" great sport is supposed to be played. Today's game.....nobody plays or respects the defense anymore, guys can rarely hit uncontested 10' jumps shots, all they do now is hit dunks and 3 point shots with hardly any contested attempts. Today's NBA is a joke and only those who used to watch it when they actually had pride on both sides of ball will know what I'm talking about. Harden is a perfect example of what's wrong with the NBA and if things don't start revert back to the elements that used to make this game so great, the league is doomed. Embarrassing. Need a new leadership from the top to save this sport from the lazy, spoiled thugs that are poisoning this sport.

The below image describes how I read your post

8efe52c96dcddc5e465801febdfb9fc82c2956ffd9427e37762f7aa9034d39a3.jpg

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like today's game. Much better as someone else said than the 70's when drug use was rampant.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only real change that I would like to see is players staying in college at least 2 & preferably 3 years. That would make it easier to recognize & have an identity with some of the players (like in football) and also possibly make some of the players more sound in fundamentals. Probably will never happen anytime soon.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And stuff like this is why older folks bitch about younger folks. You think that there's no way things could ever have been better than they are right now and that you guys invented everything.

Yes, things change, but not all change is good. While you won't see me complaining much about the changes in today's game, the overall level of play on both sides of the ball was at it's best in the 80's. It's no coincidence that the 2 best teams in the NBA right now, play closest to how teams played in the 80's.

The funniest/most ironic part of your post is that you don't even realize that you will eventually be the old man yelling "Get off my lawn."

I guess youth really is wasted on the young. Unfortunately, wisdom is also wasted on the old.

You're generalizing quite a bit in this post and putting words in my mouth.

I never once said there was no way it could've been better, I was able to watch the latter end of the 80's, the 90's, early 2000's, etc, and are there periods of time I miss? Hell yeah. But to say the game sucks right now and it used to be soooo much better is just a blatant lie/useless opinion. 20 years from now people will probably say the current game then sucks and they miss the battles of LeBron, Kobe, KG, Curry, Durant, Wade, Duncan, Nash, Dirk, etc, etc. if you look at the last 10-15 years of the game we've been pretty fortunate to witness some of these all-time greats even after MJ.

I like looking at things objectively without using emotion or nostalgia to make my opinions.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're generalizing quite a bit in this post and putting words in my mouth.

I never once said there was no way it could've been better, I was able to watch the latter end of the 80's, the 90's, early 2000's, etc, and are there periods of time I miss? Hell yeah. But to say the game sucks right now and it used to be soooo much better is just a blatant lie/useless opinion. 20 years from now people will probably say the current game then sucks and they miss the battles of LeBron, Kobe, KG, Curry, Durant, Wade, Duncan, Nash, Dirk, etc, etc. if you look at the last 10-15 years of the game we've been pretty fortunate to witness some of these all-time greats even after MJ.

I like looking at things objectively without using emotion or nostalgia to make my opinions.

Your opening sentence was "God I hate people like you." Then you went on to speculate and generalize that the OP doesn't like technology and every generation younger than him.

Him saying that the game sucks right now is an opinion, just as yours is that it doesn't. Yet, you decided to get all salty and go with personal attacks because the OP has an opinion that's different than yours (something else that younger folks tend to do).

Also, you need to get yourself a dictionary and look up the word "lie." Saying that the game sucks right now is no more a lie or useless opinion than you saying it doesn't. It is a difference of opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Plenty of people happen to have the same opinion as the OP, just as many people have the same opinion you do.

And your claim that you like to look at things objectively and without emotion or nostalgia is laughable considering that that your post was pretty much the exact opposite of that.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opening sentence was "God I hate people like you." Then you went on to speculate and generalize that the OP doesn't like technology and every generation younger than him.

Him saying that the game sucks right now is an opinion, just as yours is that it doesn't. Yet, you decided to get all salty and go with personal attacks because the OP has an opinion that's different than yours (something else that younger folks tend to do).

Also, you need to get yourself a dictionary and look up the word "lie." Saying that the game sucks right now is no more a lie or useless opinion than you saying it doesn't. It is a difference of opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Plenty of people happen to have the same opinion as the OP, just as many people have the same opinion you do.

And your claim that you like to look at things objectively and without emotion or nostalgia is laughable considering that that your post was pretty much the exact opposite of that.

I would've been less harsh in my OP but when his closing sentence was this, "Need a new leadership from the top to save this sport from the lazy, spoiled thugs that are poisoning this sport." Does that not SCREAM to you that this guy is insane? Like what in the actual hell is he talking about?!

Maybe I rushed to make an assumption but I wasn't the only one saying he sounded like an old man that yells GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN YA DAMN KIDS. That's the impression I got from him.

And to say younger people tend to personally attack people with different opinions is hilarious, because that is a trait that older generations are literally known for. Stubbornness, afraid of change, etc. Not saying you are or he is, but that's the stereotype. My generation is pretty damn accepting and tolerates a lot of shit some I like, some I don't, but that's for another day. I guess the league is just filled with thugs, right? lol.. also hilarious since the guy is an NFL fan based off his logo.

And to be honest, I hate the whole "generation" talk, it's usually a topic that is best for the Politics board, so I'll end it here. I'm done. *Sting drops mic*

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've been less harsh in my OP but when his closing sentence was this, "Need a new leadership from the top to save this sport from the lazy, spoiled thugs that are poisoning this sport." Does that not SCREAM to you that this guy is insane?

No. There are a lot of people who have the same opinion. Things may not be as bleak as he suggests, but let's not pretend the league doesn't have it's issues or things that need to be addressed by leadership. It's funny that people are on here posting everyday about issues with the league, the refs, players getting in trouble/acting entitled, quitting on their teams, etc. Yet, you want to attack someone for pointing it out and saying something needs to be done.

Maybe I rushed to make an assumption but I wasn't the only one saying he sounded like an old man that yells GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN YA DAMN KIDS. That's the impression I got from him.

And as I pointed out, a few years from now, you and the others who posted that stuff will be the ones yelling "Get off my lawn." You and the others certainly didn't do anything to enhance your own credibility since there was very little refuting any of the points he made.

And to say younger people tend to personally attack people with different opinions is hilarious, because that is a trait that older generations are literally known for.

That's pretty funny considering you were the first to respond with a personal attack and the others calling him an old man yelling get off my lawn are guilty of it as well.

My generation is pretty damn accepting and tolerates a lot of shit some I like, some a don't, but that's for another day.

Being "accepting" and "tolerating a lot of shit" isn't always a good thing. Some things shouldn't be accepted or tolerated and all change isn't good. For example, the league changed dramatically from the 80's to the 90's and most people don't think it was a good change...which is why it changed again in the 2000's.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perspectives are interesting. I first starting watching the NBA as a kid because basketball was my dad's favorite sport. He completely stopped watching in the late 90s, in large part because of the way the game was officiated. Players like Shaq were allowed to use their braun to outmuscle opponents and skill was becoming less important. That really turned him off.

I find it funny when people criticize the state of the league today. The 2016 season will be viewed in history as one of the very best of all time. Eras are remembered in history for their very best teams, not the mediocre ones.

In 20-30 years when we all look back at 2016, we will remember the record setting Warriors, the nearly as good Spurs and the Cavs led by the best player of the current generation. These are good times!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perspectives are interesting. I first starting watching the NBA as a kid because basketball was my dad's favorite sport. He completely stopped watching in the late 90s, in large part because of the way the game was officiated. Players like Shaq were allowed to use their braun to outmuscle opponents and skill was becoming less important. That really turned him off.

I find it funny when people criticize the state of the league today. The 2016 season will be viewed in history as one of the very best of all time. Eras are remembered in history for their very best teams, not the mediocre ones.

In 20-30 years when we all look back at 2016, we will remember the record setting Warriors, the nearly as good Spurs and the Cavs led by the best player of the current generation. These are good times!

Agree with all of this. I like basketball...period. While I think the NBA was at it's best in the 80's, I have found things that I like/enjoyed with every era that I have seen, including this one.