• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors vs Golden State Warriors

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Montalban and @tzill

giphy.gif

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really need to completely adjust a gameplan over 1 game? Especially THIS adjustment. Seems like Toronto won their series because they did the opposite. Decided Giannis would not beat them. Doesn't mean that's the right thing to do as Toronto supporting cast might be better than the Bucks.

You really don't think Siakim simply played out of his mind and the D didn't matter? The D was why a 48% shooter and 30% from 3 in the playoffs shot 82% and 67%?

It isn't 1 game. It is 5. Golden State employing a very similar game plan to the one that didn't work for Milwaukee.

Toronto had far too many wide open shots. Not going to win many Finals games giving away easy looks like that.

It wasn't just Siakam either.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their transition defense was absolute dog shit last game too. Lots of things went wrong defensively with missed assignments and just some bad closeouts.

Overall I think the strategy is sound. It's to make the other players beat you. The only problem is that these guys are professionals too and you have to still do your job relatively well against them. Kawhi is the head of the snake to stop. But that doesn't mean you play 3 on 4 defense the rest of the way.

It was not just transition.

Raptors were getting shots without a GS defender within 10 feet in the first half.

I don't care who the shooter is, you can't give away that much space. Players failed to make second efforts to rotate out, instead just letting Siakam, Gasol, Etc have the easy shot. That won't cut it.

I am not saying to leave Kawhi's defender on an island with no help, but I do think the way to beat Toronto is the exact opposite of the stategy being deployed.

Don't let the others gain confidence by leaving for them open. Make them work for theirs and see how many contested midrange shots Kawhi can make.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is, Giannis isn't the complete player that Kawhi is. He doesn't shoot that well outside the paint and he isn't as good at finding the open man when doubled.

I do agree though, that it may be a little early to change their strategy.

The reason their defensive strategy didn't work was because the other guys hit their shots...so maybe put the pressure on them again. If they continue to respond well, then change it.
No doubt Kawhi a better offensive player but as we both said might be too early to change their plan. Thought I also heard entire Toronto team his 60%+ of contested shots. Sometimes guys just make shots. Opposite can happen and they could miss open shots off of bad D.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't 1 game. It is 5. Golden State employing a very similar game plan to the one that didn't work for Milwaukee.

Toronto had far too many wide open shots. Not going to win many Finals games giving away easy looks like that.

It wasn't just Siakam either.
who else was it? Ibaka, Green and Lowry shot poorly as well. Gasol was decent at 6-10 and VV at 5-8, but VV can go 1-10 just as easily when uncovered.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was not just transition.

Raptors were getting shots without a GS defender within 10 feet in the first half.

I don't care who the shooter is, you can't give away that much space. Players failed to make second efforts to rotate out, instead just letting Siakam, Gasol, Etc have the easy shot. That won't cut it.

I am not saying to leave Kawhi's defender on an island with no help, but I do think the way to beat Toronto is the exact opposite of the stategy being deployed.

Don't let the others gain confidence by leaving for them open. Make them work for theirs and see how many contested midrange shots Kawhi can make.
Would not be surprised if the plan is have Siakam have the "easy shot", depending where it's from. For instance, most teams will give Draymond the easy shot. Occasionally he makes them and you live with it. And the few times he hits them you are probably among the many calling for a change in the defensive plan.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, whatever
OK, then I'll make them for us. We can stick to your rules. all injuries are created equal. Kyrie 5 games, Bogut 1-2, Durant, OG. No matter.

So no advantage this series for either team per, well, you.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 143,961.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone give a semi logical reason for there not being a fn game tonight?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL far from sensitive little guy. I gave my opinion and pointed out facts, you sound like a fucking tool was my point. Taking away credit from Toronto when deserved all the credit here. Plain and simple.

You "adding" in the fact makes no sense the W's making a bunch of turnovers is pretty common, that is the type of game they play and compared to the possessions that is how the NBA is being played in general especially for fast-paced teams like the Warriors. But it is even more common when you play a top defense like Toronto, this isn't the Cleveland defense they faced the couple years. BTW most of the turnovers were FORCED turnovers.

I "added" in the TOs b/c that's something they can control. Similar to how I "added" transition defense. My point was their lack of focus. Toronto took advantage, as a good team will do.

Per Second Spectrum, of the 17 TOs, 5 were forced.

again, I take nothing away from Toronto. They played well.

What I object to you coming in hot with "I guess you don't watch Warrior games," as I'm pretty confident I've watched a ton more than you. You can disagree with my observations, but you don't need to be a "fucking tool" doing it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will never forgive me for punking him out at the Giants game a few years back in San Francisco. It won't happen.

Dude, just answer the question and leave your fantasy bullshit off the board.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, just answer the question and leave your fantasy bullshit off the board.
You are froggy since they let you back on the board. No one is impressed. So you got banned, who cares?

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I’m in Vegas and it’s bullshit!!

Go to Phat Tuesdays, get a couple of those big frozen drinks they have with a shot of Everclear added...

won't be long before you forget what basketball is.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Joshua, heavyweight boxing champ, just lost in a monumental upset hours after posting a picture with Drake, making it clear that the Drake Curse is still alive. Raptors gotta be nervous going into game 2 Sunday night

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Joshua, heavyweight boxing champ, just lost in a monumental upset hours after posting a picture with Drake, making it clear that the Drake Curse is still alive. Raptors gotta be nervous going into game 2 Sunday night