• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors vs Golden State Warriors

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Toronto won their series because they did the opposite. Decided Giannis would not beat them.

The difference is, Giannis isn't the complete player that Kawhi is. He doesn't shoot that well outside the paint and he isn't as good at finding the open man when doubled.

I do agree though, that it may be a little early to change their strategy.

The reason their defensive strategy didn't work was because the other guys hit their shots...so maybe put the pressure on them again. If they continue to respond well, then change it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is, Giannis isn't the complete player that Kawhi is. He doesn't shoot that well outside the paint and he isn't as good at finding the open man when doubled.

I do agree though, that it may be a little early to change their strategy.

The reason their defensive strategy didn't work was because the other guys hit their shots...so maybe put the pressure on them again. If they continue to respond well, then change it.

Their transition defense was absolute dog shit last game too. Lots of things went wrong defensively with missed assignments and just some bad closeouts.

Overall I think the strategy is sound. It's to make the other players beat you. The only problem is that these guys are professionals too and you have to still do your job relatively well against them. Kawhi is the head of the snake to stop. But that doesn't mean you play 3 on 4 defense the rest of the way.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just how it is
Goes with the dynasty. It's a fair trade off. Patriots fans Yankees fans Lakers fans etc

If the warriors did it without kd (even if they upgraded from awful Barnes to horford) and avoided their ignorant self righteous, anti American pontification, they’d be far different than those 2 examples

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their transition defense was absolute dog shit last game too. Lots of things went wrong defensively with missed assignments and just some bad closeouts.

Overall I think the strategy is sound. It's to make the other players beat you. The only problem is that these guys are professionals too and you have to still do your job relatively well against them. Kawhi is the head of the snake to stop. But that doesn't mean you play 3 on 4 defense the rest of the way.

Agree. A lot of the reason that the other guys were hitting their shots is because they were open. Most NBA players are going to shoot well when left open.

If they can do that with guys closing out better, then maybe you look at changing.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Toronto has some pretty good and underrated role players though. Gasol is an experienced vet, Ibaka has been dogshit but he has been there done that. Green can knock down big shots. Siakam, as he proved last night, is a very dangerous weapon. Lowry in the past struggled but you certainly can leave him open bc he is a threat and a playmaker. It seems like both Iggy and Kawhi aren't 100% but I really don't think doubling is the solution, this isn't Portland. This is an experienced team with right now the best player in the game. Let Kawhi drop 50 on you...that was their strategy with Lebron and it worked most of the time. Toronto is just a better team Cleveland was as a whole, especially defensively, I don't think there is a right strategy but if you do have a plan it better work or you are toast. It just didn't work last night. I really don't think offensively the Warriors were bad, they were actually pretty damn good. Defensively not the best but a lot of it had to do with that strategy of doubling, Kawhi found his guys and they made shots. Transition defense wasn't the best like you mentioned but Siakam is a long, scoring forward...the dude can play.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one scenario... You can prepare your ass for the bail out at home..

They could still get bailed out my the refs at home with the touch fouls they are accustomed to...

They laid 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes of the game on Harden and 3 fouls in the 1st quarter... Took him totally out of the first half totally..

Rockets fans complaining about the refs remains one of the funniest things on the interwebz.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the warriors did it without kd (even if they upgraded from awful Barnes to horford) and avoided their ignorant self righteous, anti American pontification, they’d be far different than those 2 examples
*big liberal Bernie Sanders eyeroll*

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must not watch the Warriors. Fast paced team and yes high turnovers is not unusual for them.

Clippers series
G1: 21
G2: 22
G3: 12
G4: 13
G5: 8
G6: 10

Rockets series
G1: 12
G2: 20
G3: 8
G4: 11
G5: 15
G6: 17

Portland series
G1: 14
G2: 16
G3: 13
G4: 15

14 is their average. High turnovers is their norm so not really sure that is adding in anything bc with their fast paced offense turnovers are going to happen and they are okay with that. Excuses.

The Raptors are unlike any team the Warriors have faced this postseason, they play defense and they have size. They have a ton of guys that can switch. Toronto have guys that can create their own shot not named Kawhi.

Seriously? You know nothing about me but presume that I do NOT watch the Warriors. FYI, I was at the Cow Palace in 1975 for Game 2 of the finals. I'm a season ticket holder and I've watched the team for DECADES. That's point #1.

#2 -- I never said 17 TO was "unusual for them;" I only pointed out that they made those turnovers. Buy your own math (I didn't check) they were 20% over average. That's 3 possessions in a fairly close game. That's not nothing.

#3 -- I didn't "excuse" the loss. But as I actually HAVE watched every game this year I can tell you that when they are engaged they don't make silly turnovers. When they are unfocused, they do.

#4 -- I take nothing away from the way Toronto played. I'm disappointed with the W's transition defense and the turnovers. I expect Kerr to make adjustments.

Now quit being a sensitive tool. It's uncalled for.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Drake was a cannuck and that's why he liked the Raptors.

Oh Tweezil, you are a character; never change.

Translation: I'm avoiding the issue altogether; I'd rather make personal attacks.

Admit you were banned Nolan.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? You know nothing about me but presume that I do NOT watch the Warriors. FYI, I was at the Cow Palace in 1975 for Game 2 of the finals. I'm a season ticket holder and I've watched the team for DECADES. That's point #1.

#2 -- I never said 17 TO was "unusual for them;" I only pointed out that they made those turnovers. Buy your own math (I didn't check) they were 20% over average. That's 3 possessions in a fairly close game. That's not nothing.

#3 -- I didn't "excuse" the loss. But as I actually HAVE watched every game this year I can tell you that when they are engaged they don't make silly turnovers. When they are unfocused, they do.

#4 -- I take nothing away from the way Toronto played. I'm disappointed with the W's transition defense and the turnovers. I expect Kerr to make adjustments.

LOL far from sensitive little guy. I gave my opinion and pointed out facts, you sound like a fucking tool was my point. Taking away credit from Toronto when deserved all the credit here. Plain and simple.

You "adding" in the fact makes no sense the W's making a bunch of turnovers is pretty common, that is the type of game they play and compared to the possessions that is how the NBA is being played in general especially for fast-paced teams like the Warriors. But it is even more common when you play a top defense like Toronto, this isn't the Cleveland defense they faced the couple years. BTW most of the turnovers were FORCED turnovers.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation: I'm avoiding the issue altogether; I'd rather make personal attacks.

Admit you were banned Nolan.
Little Tweezil, you are amusing since you returned from your banning.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if anyone is an expert at being a sensitive tool, its tweezil.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you plan on having kids you may end up having to put down roots. Maybe where to raise kids can be the tie breaker

We're a dog family (have 3 of them) and we're in our 30's and still like to travel. Don't see kids on the horizon considering we've been together for 10 years and never wavered. But yeah, I've been to Austin and that's where I'm leaning.