• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NBA FINALS!!! SA vs MIA

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought that a teamed named the Heat couldn't actually handle playing in the heat?!?:laugh3:

Greatest post game comments:

Gatorade calling out LBJ on Twitter and telling him if he drank Gatorade, he wouldn't have to worry about getting cramps.

Tony Parker laughing at a reporter who asked him how he handled playing in the heat -- His response -- in Europe we don't get to play basketball games on air conditioned courts, so it didn't bother him one bit.

Yup, it gave me a new sig!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my experience most people are deficient in minerals, some of which are electrolytes the body needs for proper muscle functioning. Most of these doctors and trainers believe we all have enough of these nutrients but we actually do not, especially Potassium. It is surpassing that these athletes aren't strongly encouraged to eat high potassium foods constantly to keep their potassium levels high since they would be very susceptible to insufficient intake of this mineral along with calcium, magnesium, etc.

Yep, Sportsman. The electrolytes are so named because most of them operate in the biochemical milieu of the body as charged ions. Calcium is directly involved in muscle contraction/relaxation and potassium is involved in cellular homeostasis with the Sodium/Potassium transport pump. Magnesium is used in many enzymatic pathways as cofactors. All of the elcetrolytes create osmotic presure that holds or eliminates water when it becomes to low or in excess.

The tripping point for extreme cramps is deficiencies in electrolyte balance in conjuction with low water AND exterior heat. Guys with more muscle mass generate higher internal muscular temps. LBJ is a highly muscular guy. So he will be more susceptible to heat-induced cramps. When he seized up, there was no way he could continue. The mortis quality of his muscles would create great pain and near paralysis in his skeletal muscles which are structurally different than cardiac and smooth muscle. He would not be able to walk and running would be impossible

So the treatment and thus the prevention is fluids and electrolytes, stretching, and ice especially when an unplanned situation that occurred last night happens. I have worked with athletes here in Phoenix who routinely play in the heat and that is the regiment we used constantly. It works in nearly every case.

As I stated earlier last night, the Miami medical staff dropped the ball on this one both pre-game and during the rising temperatures. They should have had better nutrition as a matter of precaution and team appraoch pre-game (not just because they knew it would get hot which they didn't) and Spoelstra should have been rotating guys quicker and the cold sports drinks and ice should have been copiously flowing the minute it got hot and the word came down the AC was inoperative.

Last edited by a moderator:

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of this will matter when the Heat win Game 2 and then go on to win the series in Game 6.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I didn't sign up for this." - Lebron

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not suggesting the Spurs did the AC thing on purpose, they had to play in it as well. But I have been hearing reports that the Spurs practiced outside all week in the heat. Is that true? Any SA fan able to confirm that? If that is true, it does give them a slight adavntage and makes you wonder about the power failure.

The Spurs practice in an indoor facility. There is an outdoor pool, but not an outdoor basketball court.
San Antonio Spurs Practice Facility - San Antonio, Texas

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

I have started having problems with muscle cramps so I have done some research on cramps the last few months. Ultimately I changed my diet to increase potassium and it has helped immensely. Avocados and bananas all day and a very liberal use of salt.

In the same situation, I take Potassium Gluconate for a few days and I'm fine.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gatorade>>>>Powerade

Now Lebron knows.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Sportsman. The electrolytes are so named because most of them operate in the biochemical milieu of the body as charged ions. Calcium is directly involved in muscle contraction/relaxation and potassium is involved in cellular homeostasis with the Sodium/Potassium transport pump. Magnesium is used in many enzymatic pathways as cofactors. All of the elcetrolytes create osmotic presure that holds or eliminates water when it becomes to low or in excess.

The tripping point for extreme cramps is deficiencies in electrolyte balance in conjuction with low water AND exterior heat. Guys with more muscle mass generate higher internal muscular temps. LBJ is a highly muscular guy. So he will be more susceptible to heat-induced cramps. When he seized up, there was no way he could continue. The mortis quality of his muscles would create great pain and near paralysis in his skeletal muscles which are structurally different than cardiac and smooth muscle. He would not be able to walk and running would be impossible

So the treatment and thus the prevention is fluids and electrolytes, stretching, and ice especially when an unplanned situation that occurred last night happens. I have worked with athletes here in Phoenix who routinely play in the heat and that is the regiment we used constantly. It works in nearly every case.

As I stated earlier last night, the Miami medical staff dropped the ball on this one both pre-game and during the rising temperatures. They should have had better nutrition as a matter of precaution and team appraoch pre-game (not just because they knew it would get hot which they didn't) and Spoelstra should have been rotating guys quicker and the cold sports drinks and ice should have been copiously flowing the minute it got hot and the word came down the AC was inoperative.

So, you are saying he should have been drinking Brawndo?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What complete and utter bullshit. :L "No one's ever played basketball {gasp} with cramps before!"

Magic played a whole series with a torn hamstring.
Kareem played with blinding migraine headaches.
Bird played on a back that required he sleep in traction.
Isiah scored 25 points in one quarter on a broken ankle.
MJ played with a raging flu and a temperature of 102.

Lebron got cramps and had to be carried out like he was in the jungles of Da Nang. :L

As a fan of the game, I'm embarrassed. :L

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Have you ever gotten cramps before? No, you HAVEN'T! Lebron is the first ever! Bless his heart..."

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What complete and utter bullshit. :L "No one's ever played basketball {gasp} with cramps before!"

Magic played a whole series with a torn hamstring.
Kareem played with blinding migraine headaches.
Bird played on a back that required he sleep in traction.
Isiah scored 25 points in one quarter on a broken ankle.
MJ played with a raging flu and a temperature of 102.

Lebron got cramps and had to be carried out like he was in the jungles of Da Nang. :L

As a fan of the game, I'm embarrassed. :L

did I miss it, or has no one commented about a hockey player dying and wanting to go back into a regular season game? Figured that meme would be plastered here.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I didn't sign up for this." - Lebron

Damn right! Gets paid this much and he has to play in 90 degrees while having problems in the past with cramps.

I will say the Spurs are the smartest team in the NBA. :whistle:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn right! Gets paid this much and he has to play in 90 degrees while having problems in the past with cramps.

I will say the Spurs are the smartest team in the NBA. :whistle:

Yeah, because everyone knows basketball players quit on their team when they {gasp} get cramps!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real reason the Heat lost is Mario Chalmers. He should of just played for SA

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because everyone knows basketball players quit on their team when they {gasp} get cramps!

You can't move when you have cramps. What do you want him to do stand at the 3pt line and then 5 on 4 on defense.

Lack of sleep you can play.
The flu you can fight through to play.

But you can't play when you can't run or barely walk. I guess you just don't understand.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did I miss it, or has no one commented about a hockey player dying and wanting to go back into a regular season game? Figured that meme would be plastered here.

:pound:

The hockey player is refusing the defibrillator so he can get back on the ice as Lebron is brushing the tears away in the locker room cause he {gasp} got cramps! :L

"No one said anything about pain." - Lebron

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't move when you have cramps. What do you want him to do stand at the 3pt line and then 5 on 4 on defense.

Lack of sleep you can play.
The flu you can fight through to play.

But you can't play when you can't run or barely walk. I guess you just don't understand.

"Lebron is really tough, you just don't realize it. And he's better than MJ ever was cause he weighs 15 lbs more." - Shane

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't even about pain, it is about the fact he couldn't walk. :laugh3:

But you guys have at it, he will be back to dominate in Game 2