• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Miami Heat

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were a real sports fan, which you're not, you'd know celebrating before taking care of business isn't a good idea.

I had a friend once who bragged and celebrated because he told her - that HER cooking was shitty and was the reason she was fat

I told he was a dumb ass for that one and was going to pay - He did not believe me

And then he wasn't laughing that night because he was forced to sleep on the bed and didn't any sex for a week :pound:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. People place longevity and stats as a reason for saying someone's the GOAT. I look at dominance. Lebron will always come in 2nd, at least in my opinion.

The best analogy I can come up with in terms of this debate is when people talk about best RB - Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders. People always talk about Smith being the rushing yards leader. Anyone with any knowledge would tell you that Barry Sanders was better. He didn't have the rushing yards because he left in his prime and didn't play as long as Smith did.

Jordan retired from basketball for nearly 2 years. And left when he was still without a doubt the best player in the league. Imagine if he had 3 more years under his belt of basketball what his stats may look like.

Yeah, and Barry Sanders did his thing playing for the Lions, so that's gotta give him some extra credit.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to lean towards MJ in the debate over GOAT...

That said, one important area that LeBron has MJ beat is in physical conditioning, particularly later in their respective careers. LeBron is a workout warrior who has taken immaculate care of his body... where MJ very noticeably put on some fat pounds that slowed him down into his 30's.

Late nights drinking and gambling probably didn't help MJ in that regard.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami really needs to play big. They need Kelly/Leonard out there at the same time with Bam. There is no reason at all why Hero and Duncan should be on the court at the same time. I understand that Duncan can spread the D, but he has been terrible on offense and his defense is just a back breaker. Nunn was embarrassing last night, you see why he fell out of the rotation. Crowder took some ridiculous shots, especially that deep 3. It made no sense.

But for me the killer last night was Butler taking that 3 at the end of the game. We were down 2, he hasnt shot a 3 in a few games. Drive it to the basket, hopefully you make it and get the and 1. instead he missed and it turned into a quick 3 for them. it was a 5pt swing and we were not able to recover. Im not blaming him because well he was doing everything himself anyhow, I just dont like that shot for him. it isnt part of his game. He makes the 2 and the game probably has a different outcome. Oh well, I guess. Hope Bam is loosened up and Dragin is ready to go, because the rest of the Heat have not been good (other than Butler).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was here yesterday with his usual drive by bullshit. Evidently you missed your chance...

You know what's funny? His nightmare won't end this season. Next season both the Lakers and Heat should be in the mix for the title. You think the Cavs can win 41 next season? Yeah me either. But they will turn everything around before the Heat.

#wiggylogic :crazy:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Lakers had the easiest walk to the Finals that I have seen.

Really? Remind me again who the Cavs had to face in 2016 to reach the Finals?
Oh yes, the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks.

So the 2016 Pistons and Hawks are better teams than the 2020 Blazers and Rockets?

This is pathetic even for you, one-nut.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's funny? His nightmare won't end this season. Next season both the Lakers and Heat should be in the mix for the title. You think the Cavs can win 41 next season? Yeah me either. But they will turn everything around before the Heat.

#wiggylogic :crazy:

41?

I highly doubt the Cavs can win 14 next season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami really needs to play big. They need Kelly/Leonard out there at the same time with Bam. There is no reason at all why Hero and Duncan should be on the court at the same time. I understand that Duncan can spread the D, but he has been terrible on offense and his defense is just a back breaker. Nunn was embarrassing last night, you see why he fell out of the rotation. Crowder took some ridiculous shots, especially that deep 3. It made no sense.

But for me the killer last night was Butler taking that 3 at the end of the game. We were down 2, he hasnt shot a 3 in a few games. Drive it to the basket, hopefully you make it and get the and 1. instead he missed and it turned into a quick 3 for them. it was a 5pt swing and we were not able to recover. Im not blaming him because well he was doing everything himself anyhow, I just dont like that shot for him. it isnt part of his game. He makes the 2 and the game probably has a different outcome. Oh well, I guess. Hope Bam is loosened up and Dragin is ready to go, because the rest of the Heat have not been good (other than Butler).

He's been scared/hesitant to take 3's and for good reason...he's been money on the mid range or floaters. That has a lot to do with AD, with his length and ability to block and contest shots is harder to get those mid-range/floaters off when he is the defender. Lebron and AD did a great job on him in the 2nd half for the most part. If you want to be a superstar you have to hit open shots, even if you are struggling shooting the 3. Why Giannis won't take the next step until he can at least get a somewhat consistent shot...he will even more unstoppable. Butler had his worst career season from 3 this year but he shot it better in the playoffs. He's been hesitant in the Finals but like I said, he was getting what he wanted for the most part...when it isn't that easy you have to be able to hit that wide open 3. If he makes it, we aren't talking about how that is bad shot selection (even though I don't think it was bad). He just missed, that's all.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late nights drinking and gambling probably didn't help MJ in that regard.

Best drinking story I ever heard was about Larry Bird.

I forget the team, but apparently the Celtics were on the road and Bird goes into a bar. Some of the regulars recognized him and started buying him beers figuring they'd get him drunk and he'd be hung over the next day for the game.

So, he proceeds to drink every beer they bought him, thanks them on the way out and then drops like 45 on their team the next night. lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
41?

I highly doubt the Cavs can win 14 next season.

They never won 14 or less ever in a season...so I will take that bet

Come On Reaction GIF

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been scared/hesitant to take 3's and for good reason...he's been money on the mid range or floaters. That has a lot to do with AD, with his length and ability to block and contest shots is harder to get those mid-range/floaters off when he is the defender. Lebron and AD did a great job on him in the 2nd half for the most part. If you want to be a superstar you have to hit open shots, even if you are struggling shooting the 3. Why Giannis won't take the next step until he can at least get a somewhat consistent shot...he will even more unstoppable. Butler had his worst career season from 3 this year but he shot it better in the playoffs. He's been hesitant in the Finals but like I said, he was getting what he wanted for the most part...when it isn't that easy you have to be able to hit that wide open 3. If he makes it, we aren't talking about how that is bad shot selection (even though I don't think it was bad). He just missed, that's all.
Agreed that 3 by Butler was a good shot. He just missed

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the risk of pissing off Lakers fans, I have respect for Vogel. I don't have much for Pelinka. Everyone knew that AD wanted to be traded to the Lakers. He didn't exactly pull off making a great fantastic roster. Lebron and AD are just that damn good.

Yes and no. AD wanted to go to the Lakers for sure and he "poisoned the well" so to speak to help it happen, but the Pels didn't have to trade him to the Lakers (some even said that there was no way they would), so him getting to the Lakers (at least this year) wasn't quite a slam dunk.

Then, while the Lakers were waiting on Kawhi, a lot of the players that they were targeting to fill the rest of the roster started signing with other teams. I mean. I really don't think Dwight Howard, Avery Bradley and Quinn Cook were at the top of their wish list. So, considering what was left to work with and where they are, I have no complaints.

I'm not saying he's some great GM, we'll find how good he really is when if/when he looks to tweak the roster during the off season and what he's able to put around AD when Lebron eventually retires. But all things considered, he's done a good job. Especially compared to the criticism he received.

Pretty sure Vogel was his hire (which he was criticized for) and Vogel has turned out to be the perfect coach for the Lakers. He was also criticized for hiring Jason Kidd which has worked out great.

Chemistry is a real thing (as we saw from the Clips with their lack of it) and Pelinka put together a roster that has had great chemistry. Playing alongside Lebron is part of it, but we also know that not everyone is cut out to play alongside a star. So, at the least, Pelinka had to make sure that he got players that would fit well together.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has the league decided when next season will start yet?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant compare the 2. They are different players...if LBJ plays for another 4 years I think 1a 1b is legit and most will agree but there will always be those people that loved 90’s bball and will never back down...MJ was declared GOAT after 3 titles for some and they cant appreciate how the game has changed. MJ had the best prime but there is a reason we have never witnessed a player dominate for this long.

MJ couldnt last 3 more years, why do you think he retired for a year. Kareem is the only player could have the same dominant, long prime like Lebron and he was a big man.

Neither Smith or Sanders are the GOAT RB so lol

Also, the landscape of the 90s was set up for 1 dominant player to rule.

In the 80s it was 2 teams, but talent was so spread out and this was before players were forming super teams.

Once the Bulls assembled, it would have taken a prime super team to beat them and none ever materialized.

My guess is that had LeBron played in that era with no MJ and a Pippen/AD caliber side kick, his teams would have been similarly dominant.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the landscape of the 90s was set up for 1 dominant player to rule.

In the 80s it was 2 teams, but talent was so spread out and this was before players were forming super teams.

Once the Bulls assembled, it would have taken a prime super team to beat them and none ever materialized.

My guess is that had LeBron played in that era with no MJ and a Pippen/AD caliber side kick, his teams would have been similarly dominant.

Right, agree. The "super teams" that were materialized were losing steam and that's when MJ and Bulls went on their historic title run. Magic retired and the Lakers were all but done. The Celtics were getting older and Bird retired a year later. The Pistons dominated MJ in their prime but they ultimately couldn't keep up the same core and MJ + Pippen were just too much. The Knicks with Ewing didn't have enough but they gave a hell of an effort. The Bulls were a vastly superior team.