• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Draft Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post all Heat related draft info here on this thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami has had two confirmed visits with players at the NBA rookie combine:

1) Devin Booker

2) Kelly Oubre Jr

Devin Booker, SG, Kentucky

Booker has been anointed as the draft's best shooter, and according to Sam Vecenie of CBS Sports, he had a solid few days at the combine, easing concerns about this lack of athleticism. "He's extremely quick coming off of screens, and also is very slippery against defenders. This type of score also points to some potential defensive upside, the side of the ball where Booker showed quite a bit of weakness this season" says Vecenie.

Kelly Oubre Jr, SF, Kansas

According to Jason Lieser of the Palm Beach Post, here's what Oubre said about his meeting with Riley:

"It was great, he’s a legend who has coached greats in the past, and seeing what he knows about the game of basketball is something I would never take for granted. I listened to every single thing he said. I asked him a couple questions, also, to see if I could pick his brain for things I need to know about my future. Oubre continued by saying "One of the things that stuck out to me was he said, ‘If you want to play for us, you've gotta be in the best shape of your life.’ I like to run and gun. If I’m running, I’m scoring in transition, and that’s what I do best."

Now Oubre might have one of the highest potentials in the draft. He isn't gifted offensively but he is a shutdown defender against wing players (one of Miami's major flaws last season, sorry Luol Deng,) is 6-foot-7 and has a 7-foot-1 wing span! The likeliness is the Heat would still want to pick Stanley Johnson from Arizona, but the team didn't meet him at the combine, so maybe Riley thinks Johnson is out of the Heat's range.

So which other players talked about possibly playing for the Heat next season?

Stanley Johnson, SF, Arizona

Johnson has already declared himself the best pick of the NBA Draft, and says what makes him stand out is his ability to "score from all three levels pretty well," Johnson continued by saying on defense, he plays hard, smart, and is a "nasty competitor." All these qualities are what the Heat look for, and my bet is if he's available at 10, Miami will pick him.

About being a possible Heat pick:

"To have guys like Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng and Hassan Whiteside on the team and be on a team that already knows they want to win next season - bringing my contribution to that team would be great."

Frank Kaminsky, PF/C, Wisconson

Now Kaminsky didn't play at the Combine because he says considering he was already named National Player of the Year, he didn't think anything he did at the Combine would top that. But Kaminsky did compare his game to Chris Bosh and even said he would "love" to be Bosh's understudy.

So there you have it folks. To recap, if Miami ends up at #10, they'll probably have Stanley Johnson as their preferred pick, and if he's not available; look for the Heat to draft either Devin Booker or Kelly Oubre.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope that Marty Booker is picked by the Heat. He seems one-dimensional as a shooter, but I feel that he has a high ceiling, and he addresses a need as far as 3-pt. shooting goes. Mind you, I don't watch college basketball often, so I could be wrong in labeling him as just a shooter (similar to Reddick).

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK, the mock draft link you posted is something I hope the Heat don't do - DraftExpress: Mock Draft

I'm not a fan of Kaminsky. I feel that he has to fill out and is too skinny for the pros. what does everyone else think?

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaminsky will not be a star, dont think draft gurus or anyone within the game are expecting such a thing either - It is more realistic to believe the kid will be a more than capable role player on the right team.