• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Championship: 1987 Lakers vs. 2013 Heat

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A scarier sight would be Kevin Mchale defending that fast break waiting to give someone the clothesline.

Very true!!:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ]Kevin McHale Clotheslines Kurt Rambis - YouTube[/ame]

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. You guys are just haters. I am not a Heat fan, but I can appreciate a good team when I see one. This team is really good as is and again, they aren't close to 100%. Without Wade they are good, but not great. With him, they are special.

You probably agree with Sman that the Lakers would be in the Finals now if Kobe hadn't gotten hurt.

The Heat would not beat the '87 Lakers (even with a healthy Wade) because the Lakers are a complete team and the Heat are donut (big hole in the center).

That Lakers team could beat you inside, outside and with their fast break!! The Heat can beat teams with the fast break and outside. Even at 40, Kareem's skyhook was still all but unblockable and while most think of James Worthy on the break, he had devastating moves in the paint too!!

The Heat would win a game, maybe two because Lebron and a healthy D-Wade are great players, but the Heat just aren't complete enough to beat that Laker team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilt could block that sky hook

Yeah, I think he and Ralph Sampson (who was 7'4") are the only one's who ever blocked it!! The Heat don't have anyone who could though!!

I remember a great cover on either Sports Illustrated or Sport magazine that had Sampson blocking Kareem's skyhook and the header said: "When 7'2" isn't tall enough"!!

I'll never understand why bigs today don't learn that shot!!

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. You guys are just haters. I am not a Heat fan, but I can appreciate a good team when I see one. This team is really good as is and again, they aren't close to 100%. Without Wade they are good, but not great. With him, they are special.

You probably agree with Sman that the Lakers would be in the Finals now if Kobe hadn't gotten hurt.
Thats exactly what I said earlier. Everyone is viewing the 87' Lakers at their best and the 13' Heat through their so far unimpressive play and a hurt Wade. If you compare both teams at their full potential its a lot closer with Kareem pushing the Lakers over the top.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Give me more credit than that. I'm a fan of great basketball teams, not disparate collections of talent. If you remember, I predicted that the Lakers wouldn't win a single game in the playoffs and that they needed to swallow their pride and come back next year.

Repeat: The Heat wouldn't make it out of the Eastern Conference in 1995.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats exactly what I said earlier. Everyone is viewing the 87' Lakers at their best and the 13' Heat through their so far unimpressive play and a hurt Wade. If you compare both teams at their full potential its a lot closer with Kareem pushing the Lakers over the top.

That's honestly laughable, man. Kareem could ride the pine and Mike Smrek could come in and fill the lane and make some outlet passes and the Lakers would still sweep these guys. After Magic, Byron Scott and Big Game James, it's over. The next two players hardly matter as long as they can rebound and defend. Kareem has nothing to do with it.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's honestly laughable, man. Kareem could ride the pine and Mike Smrek could come in and fill the lane and make some outlet passes and the Lakers would still sweep these guys. After Magic, Byron Scott and Big Game James, it's over. The next two players hardly matter as long as they can rebound and defend. Kareem has nothing to do with it.
Who is going to get your rebound for the outlet? Who is going to score in half court set when they cant run?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily agree with that, but even if it were true that wouldn't automatically make the Lakers better. Magic is the one who creates problems for the Heat more so than Kareem.

I have never said that the Heat are better, just that you guys are seriously underestimating them because of Wade's poor play. When healthy, this team's speed and athleticism is unlike anything the '87 Lakers ever saw.

That's because they were that team. The Lakers would run the legs off these guys.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is going to get your rebound for the outlet?

Were you watching basketball in the 80s? Because your opinions tend to make me think you weren't. When you talk about that era you sound like I would if I tried to sound like an expert on the 60's Celtics. I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i did watch in the 80's and Lakers were the shit. I'm starting to wonder if you actually watched them. Don't try and avoid the question.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me more credit than that. I'm a fan of great basketball teams, not disparate collections of talent. If you remember, I predicted that the Lakers wouldn't win a single game in the playoffs and that they needed to swallow their pride and come back next year.

Repeat: The Heat wouldn't make it out of the Eastern Conference in 1995.

Disparate collections of talent? Just because these guys came together via free agency does not mean they aren't a team. Like you, I too am a fan of great basketball. Too many however are blinded by hatred of the way this team came together and the horrible PR moves that Lebron made 3 years ago.

As a Magic Johnson fan, it is shocking that you do not appreciate LeBron more. Most superstars are inherently selfish in the way they play (not necessarily a bad thing), but Lebron is the ultimate facilitator. He makes these guys a team and I for one am enjoying watching him develop as one of the true greats in the history of the game.

The MJ comparison is lazy. This guy is a combo of Magic and Pippen, with a developing dash of Karl Malone tossed in. Tell me the Chalmers to LeBron pick and roll with the lefty finish didn't look exactly like something Karl Malone would have done. Complete with the ungraceful fall at the end.

Hate if you want, but understating this team's potential just makes you look biased.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is going to score in half court set when they cant run?

If they aren't beating Miami with the fast break, then they beat them in the half court game. The Lakers could post Kareem, Magic, and Worthy up all day against the Heat. That's some seriously skilled size to exploit a significant weakness of Miami. If the Heat help out too much down low, Scott and Coop will drill three's on them. The Lakers weren't just a fast break team.

For those discounting a older Kareem, he still played 31 MPG and averaged 17.5 PPG on 56.4% shooting. He was still an effective player in 1987.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Lakers team could beat you inside, outside and with their fast break!! The Heat can beat teams with the fast break and outside. Even at 40, Kareem's skyhook was still all but unblockable and while most think of James Worthy on the break, he had devastating moves in the paint too!!

I should have read the previous page before my post. People forget how good Worthy was on the block. His post moves were almost as pretty as him gliding to hole on a fast break dunk.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they aren't beating Miami with the fast break, then they beat them in the half court game. The Lakers could post Kareem, Magic, and Worthy up all day against the Heat. That's some seriously skilled size to exploit a significant weakness of Miami. If the Heat help out too much down low, Scott and Coop will drill three's on them. The Lakers weren't just a fast break team.

For those discounting a older Kareem, he still played 31 MPG and averaged 17.5 PPG on 56.4% shooting. He was still an effective player in 1987.
He was saying without Kareem. I dont see any offensive or rebounding advantage for the Lakers with Kareem out. Only one person can post at a time and I dont see it being easy for Magic or Worthy to score in a half court set.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly!! People think of Worthy as a wingman on the Lakers fast break. They forget that he was also one of the best post players at the time as well. His post moves were unbelievably quick!!

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have read the previous page before my post. People forget how good Worthy was on the block. His post moves were almost as pretty as him gliding to hole on a fast break dunk.
I think Haslem could hang with Worthy. I dont think he would shut Worthy down but would make it difficult. Underrated defensive player. People need to wipe the mist of nostalgia of their glasses if they think it would be a cakewalk. I dont think so and I loved that Lakers team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was saying without Kareem. I dont see any offensive or rebounding advantage for the Lakers with Kareem out. Only one person can post at a time and I dont see it being easy for Magic or Worthy to score in a half court set.

Apparently you never saw them in a half court set!!

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kareem has to come all the way down the floor to post up I think?

If we allow the advancements in science to stand the Heat could be ok, if we allow the Heat to be what they were during their amazing run before the playoffs and remember that Kareem did not run back every possession on O the Heat could be ok.

As far as dynasty comparisons and dominance over the league there is not much comparison yet. Heat pull out one more somehow and what they have accomplished in a luxury tax era is imo more remarkable.