• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Nashville Predators at Philadelphia Flyers 1/16/14 | 7:00pm

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

"Ultimately, it was hard to be too upset over the outcome. Of much greater concern right now is the way the Flyers have backslid defensively since December. This has been a team-wide issue and not just one of the defensemen and goaltenders.

On many nights, the Flyers have scored enough to compensate for mediocre defensive play and a stretch of average goaltending. In last night's game, Mason played well enough to deserve to win. Overall, though, the team's goaltending of late has been so-so.

Early this season, the Flyers were getting outstanding goaltending, decent (but not infallible) defense and zero offense. Now they are doing well offensively on most nights, but have been recently getting subpar team defense and average goaltending."

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

"Ultimately, it was hard to be too upset over the outcome. Of much greater concern right now is the way the Flyers have backslid defensively since December. This has been a team-wide issue and not just one of the defensemen and goaltenders.

On many nights, the Flyers have scored enough to compensate for mediocre defensive play and a stretch of average goaltending. In last night's game, Mason played well enough to deserve to win. Overall, though, the team's goaltending of late has been so-so.

Early this season, the Flyers were getting outstanding goaltending, decent (but not infallible) defense and zero offense. Now they are doing well offensively on most nights, but have been recently getting subpar team defense and average goaltending."

This is all true and I mentioned a lot of it in my post-game summary. It is at least nice to see Mase stand on his head again, although to a much lesser extent, he did fail to close it out in the shootout. That said, while Meszaros has been an absolute stud offensively as of late, the whole team needs to get better at winning puck battles along the boards, blocking shots and clearing the zone once they do have possession. Nashville cycled the shit out of us in this game and allowing 37 shots (a lot of them high quality chances) is just not acceptable. The puck was deep in our zone for far too much of this game.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers have to improve their defensive play - all this offense is taking attention away from this subpar defense they've had for the last 3-4 weeks - I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them win games 2-1 for a little while as long as the defense gets back on track because they're really going to need it

Also, I wish the players would quit talking about how they need to quit getting behind in games and having to come back, and just do it for once - if it means changing things so you don't get behind in games early, that's what you have to do - teams always have to make adjustments and the Flyers might have to do something about that

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are getting behind early in games because we don't get going offensively early in reaction to getting aggressively forechecked to death and then our defense seems to take nearly a period and half just to get anywhere respectable. We have scored first in the first period once or twice in the last 8-10 games.

It also appears the Flyers are enamored with the good goalies we have since some of these players were around when our goalie situation was atrocious for several years. Looks like they rely so heavily on Mase and to some extent Emery they just lolligag for the first period before they realize they actually have to play some hockey to win the game. This is eventually going to bite us in the butt and we will see more of these come-from-behind contests like last night.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are getting behind early in games because we don't get going offensively early in reaction to getting aggressively forechecked to death and then our defense seems to take nearly a period and half just to get anywhere respectable. We have scored first in the first period once or twice in the last 8-10 games.

It also appears the Flyers are enamored with the good goalies we have since some of these players were around when our goalie situation was atrocious for several years. Looks like they rely so heavily on Mase and to some extent Emery they just lolligag for the first period before they realize they actually have to play some hockey to win the game. This is eventually going to bite us in the butt and we will see more of these come-from-behind contests like last night.

Yeah they need to play better in front of the goaltender - can't have these bad habits re-occur - this team needs to get back to playing strong defensive hockey, it's not like they haven't done it before

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they need to play better in front of the goaltender - can't have these bad habits re-occur - this team needs to get back to playing strong defensive hockey, it's not like they haven't done it before

yep.

as good as the simmonds/hartnell/schenn line has been offensively, they're very weak defensively. and i'm still not seeing the 2-way play from giroux and voracek that we've seen in the past. giroux drifted lazily back on d a few times last night that i noticed. those two guys need to set the tone for 2-way play at 5 on 5.

i'm still worried about this team 5 on 5. during the long road trip / winning streak it was more of the PP being ridiculously good and the defense being adequate than it was 5 on 5 domination. they still seem to panic under heavy pressure and that worries me.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep.

as good as the simmonds/hartnell/schenn line has been offensively, they're very weak defensively. and i'm still not seeing the 2-way play from giroux and voracek that we've seen in the past. giroux drifted lazily back on d a few times last night that i noticed. those two guys need to set the tone for 2-way play at 5 on 5.

i'm still worried about this team 5 on 5. during the long road trip / winning streak it was more of the PP being ridiculously good and the defense being adequate than it was 5 on 5 domination. they still seem to panic under heavy pressure and that worries me.

As I said, I wouldn't mind them winning games 2-1 for a while now, if it means grinding out wins they need to do that - I like scoring like anyone else but there's a line that has to be drawn and this team is going to have to play better defensively

They better not take the Isles lightly these next two games - they're playing very well right now and I wouldn't want to get in a run and gun with them - they got some horses

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, I wouldn't mind them winning games 2-1 for a while now, if it means grinding out wins they need to do that - I like scoring like anyone else but there's a line that has to be drawn and this team is going to have to play better defensively

They better not take the Isles lightly these next two games - they're playing very well right now and I wouldn't want to get in a run and gun with them - they got some horses

Couldn't agree more. With any of that.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers & Islanders will be a fun game to watch. Giroux vs Tavares, Voracek vs Vanek, Simmonds vs Okposo. Lot's of star power on both teams.