• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nash out for the season

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody else offered him a contract.

First off, it was a sign and trade. Also, the Knicks were pressing hard for him as well. The Raptors, Nets and Mavs were also very interested at the time.

The Knicks were equally high on Nash's list in a sign-and-trade scenario -- he's an offseason Manhattan resident -- and the Raptors were initially seen as the favorite for Nash's services after quickly registering a three-year, $36 million offer. The Brooklyn Nets and Mavericks also pursued Nash, Dallas in particular after the Nets won the Deron Williams sweepstakes Tuesday.

Steve Nash headed to Los Angeles Lakers in sign-and-trade deal - ESPN Los Angeles

Last edited by a moderator:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree with you that there was interest from these teams but only the Lakers officially made a move to get him.

Wrong again. It was the Lakers offer that was accepted. All of those other teams had various offers on the table. The only one that was actually pulled was the Nets when they ended up getting Deron Williams. Also, salary wise, the Lakers salary was actually less than others offered on a per season basis. The Raptors were going to pay him $12 million per season for 3 years and the Suns offered him $10 million per season for 2 more years.

In fact, when everything first started, the Lakers weren't even in the picture. Mitch Kupchak was actually shocked that the Lakers were able to get him.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a little late, there is already one of these....

giphy.gif

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, it was. However, at the time and coming off the season that he'd just had, there wasn't a GM in the league that wouldn't have done that deal.

I agree that most GMs in the Lakers situation would have made the deal.

I think the vast majority of other GMs not in the Lakers situation would never have given up whatever draft picks were involved plus that big of a contract.

The difference really is the the Lakers had the cash from I believe the L.O. to Mavs move, plus they knew to beat the Heat they would need a lot of pieces.
It simply was risk vs reward for a team that was focused on a championship.

It didn't workout. It happens.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the vast majority of other GMs not in the Lakers situation would never have given up whatever draft picks were involved plus that big of a contract.

The difference really is the the Lakers had the cash from I believe the L.O. to Mavs move, plus they knew to beat the Heat they would need a lot of pieces.

it is what it is. still, imo i think the Buss kids kinda had a fallback plan in place in case that moved didn't pay off...which is kinda what we're seeing right now. truth to tell i think it was smarter to go younger anyways. let's face it, that's gonna be the wave of the future anyhow in a manner of speaking...

it's kinda like i was saying on the Lakers boards. it's all about upward trends now...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much spot on. The Raptors wanted him, but that was mainly because he's a Canadian and they knew he'd put butts in seats. The Mavs were in a similar situation to the Lakers (championship aspirations) but weren't as close as the Lakers. The Knicks were interested, not sure why.

End of the day, the Lakers were willing to give up the most to get him because they were trying to get another title or 2 before Kobe retires. Like you say, risk vs. reward and it didn't work out. I guess it works towards "balancing the books" on similar moves they've made that did work out.:lol:

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nash has been done for the season for a few years. I'm glad. Just saying.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely hate it for him. He's been so close to being back several times, even looking like vintage Nash a couple games, but something would always come up. I can't imagine how unbelievably frustrating that must be for an athlete like him.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is what it is. still, imo i think the Buss kids kinda had a fallback plan in place in case that moved didn't pay off...which is kinda what we're seeing right now. truth to tell i think it was smarter to go younger anyways. let's face it, that's gonna be the wave of the future anyhow in a manner of speaking...

it's kinda like i was saying on the Lakers boards. it's all about upward trends now...

Every roster needs to have some talented youth. It was the Heats downfall and obviously the real reason James decided to move on.

That being said, I am excited so far from what I have seen out of Ennis and Shabazz.
The past couple years we lost some other talented youth because we had to keep the older 3 pt. shooters.

As far as the Lakers boards, c'mon Trojan. No reason for me to still be blocked.
Me and Ram are A Ok. I only try to offer fair praise/criticism of the Lakers.
I'm not getting personal with anybody, any more. Seems to be the same with others.
Makes for a much better board/season.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hear ya. btw, nice job of putting Phyllis Rivers in his place tonight, bro...

6 people left out of 44 in my survivor pool.
I went CHIEFS this week.
I refuse to let Romo knock me out.