• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My review/thoughts on the game

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've mentioned this before, but does it seem to anyone else like Kap drops WAY too far back sometimes? I haven't actually counted steps, but his seven-step drops take him back like 10+ yards, and make it very hard for his OTs to get the DEs past him. It seems like this is at least partially responsible for him getting forced up in the pocket, leading to frenetic runs, sacks, or rushed and ill-advised throws.

I think it's because most QB's do short quick steps to get the ball out, but Kap seems like he's taking full strides and with him being so tall he goes way back. His biggest problem when there is a breakdown he panics and looks at the rush and then tries to run, he's not like Brady, Manning, or even Matt Ryan where they side step and keep their eyes down the field. There were a couple replays that showed when Kap scrambled a few times and went no where or got sacked there was a guy or two open.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Dixon did look good as a FB and was making some nice key blocks. He looks more natural as a FB than he did as a HB

Iupati made some nice blocks and got down the field to get some second level blocks he was not making earlier this season. I hope that means his legs are healed up.

Brock is great and getting a jump on the ball when he reads the play. I just hope he doesn't fall for the fake and go like he did earlier this year.

49ers basically ran a defensive scheme that was like how Nolan used the 9ers back in the day. The crappy bend but don't break defense with no rushing and no pressure and give up a lot of first downs which in turn leads to points. When they blitzed they made big plays. Don't know why they were so afraid to do it more. Also rush 4 people not just 3. That made no sense what so ever.

Crabtree is looking better and better each week. That will be key for the super bowl run

Eric Reid looked good on that blitz. He got on Ryan in a hurry and made him rush that throw that Brock tipped and Bowman got the reward of a pick 6. He made some mistakes in tackling but otherwise played a good game.

Jerrod-Eddie and Dorsey tonight got dominated. They got no push what so ever and it lead to big runs. Every time they did get a good push Willis or Bowman made the play in the backfield. If there is a big space eating NT in the draft 9ers should grab him to be the Wilfork for the niners defense. That and a CB to replace Rodgers are all that are needed to be drafted fpr defense next year. Maybe a SS as well if they don't resign Hitner.

The offense still needs a fast WR to get deep on the edges to open up the rest of the field. Too many defenders get away with being able to be in the box to stop the run. The 9ers should draft like 3 of these types of players and then just have them battle it out.

Kaepernick needs to learn how to step up in the pocket. I saw him run out of perfect pockets and into defenders 4-5 times. Got to trust your blockers some. Gore will pick up that blitz. Step up and throw a strike.

Goodwin just flat out is not trying or just cant move. He gives up and just leans on people. That aint blocking and he is just plain worthless. He must go. If he was replaced tonight be Kilgore I would be happy.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree Vance is a great blocker & blocked great tonight. I'm worried about his F-ups when the ball is in the air, but you'd think that's fixable. I mean he's not going to trip all the time. And that first drop a few weeks ago was good defense as well.

The O-line did great except for Goodwin (again). That guy is Kyle-Williams bad.

Makes me almost wish the Niners would trade for Nick Mangonld in the offseason after the Jets franchise him, but that'd be a little crazy.

I've wondered about Alex Mack and if he could be pried away from Cleveland. He's a FA after this year. I don't know if I love the idea of paying big money to a center that hasn't been around this organization from the get go. Plus there's a number of current Niners that are going to get PAID or be asked to get paid big. My guess is that he might be looking to get something similar to Ryan Kalil - 6 years, $49M, $28M guaranteed and a $18M signing bonus. I wouldn't sign him for that but IF they decided they wanted to make a big signing splash on a center and I couldn't stop it, and if a young guy wasn't going to be it, Mack might be my guy.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That would be a video-game-like O-line w/ Mack on board. Maybe the best since the Chiefs back in the early '00 decade; possibly just as good. It'd be tempting.

They'd definitely have to cut Rogers & go with a rook at CB & let Brown go if that were the case. There'd be the issue of the other safety position too. But I could live with that. I want 'em to trade up for Bradley Roby anyway.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cam Inman:

SFPD told me several fans tried taking #Candlestick seats -- and at least one achieved in upper deck!

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance is a good blocker but we got him to catch the damn ball like Delanie and he has sucked this year, end of story

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, as an Atlanta fan of 46 years, I knew they were going to lose. They always do, after all. Is it any wonder why we don't fill the stadiums and arenas around here? After a half century of game after game after game like this, is it any wonder that we eventually lose hope for Atlanta pro sports teams?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People are so down on Vance McDonald and I don't see why.

Well thats easy. Just compare him to the other rookie TE's. He's one of the worst and he was drafted very high.

Off the top of my head, Eifert, Ertz, Reed, Willson, and Fauria have all been better and shown more.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Based on my relatively brief views, it looked like they were playing a lot of zone coverage, and that's what was hurting them in the passing game. Ryan was getting the ball out quickly in those soft spots. Gotta tighten that up.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on my relatively brief views, it looked like they were playing a lot of zone coverage, and that's what was hurting them in the passing game. Ryan was getting the ball out quickly in those soft spots. Gotta tighten that up.

PLus lack of pass rush hurt as another poster mentioned. It reminded me of the Nolan years. We should have blitzed a few more times, especially with Atlanta's suspect OLine

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, as an Atlanta fan of 46 years, I knew they were going to lose. They always do, after all. Is it any wonder why we don't fill the stadiums and arenas around here? After a half century of game after game after game like this, is it any wonder that we eventually lose hope for Atlanta pro sports teams?

Lets be honest though... they put up a hell of a fight. Considering the struggles of the team this year, you should be proud of that effort. Just to be in a position to win a game like that... Shows they still have fight and you have a lot of young players rising up. I was pretty impressed by them.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've wondered about Alex Mack and if he could be pried away from Cleveland. He's a FA after this year. I don't know if I love the idea of paying big money to a center that hasn't been around this organization from the get go. Plus there's a number of current Niners that are going to get PAID or be asked to get paid big. My guess is that he might be looking to get something similar to Ryan Kalil - 6 years, $49M, $28M guaranteed and a $18M signing bonus. I wouldn't sign him for that but IF they decided they wanted to make a big signing splash on a center and I couldn't stop it, and if a young guy wasn't going to be it, Mack might be my guy.

Pozz I live in Toledo Ohio and listen to the Cleveland sports station quite often. They said Alex is as good as gone. He doesn't want to be there any more.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pass rush wasn't very strong tonight... ATL did something new with their WRs n TEs lining up tight... throwing a chip or a shove to add extra time then take off, thats something that I thought was really effective against our edge rushers...

i thought that was an interesting and successful ploy considering our DBs were hot mess last night.

Aldon, get hungry.... where's that push!!!

we got lucky at the end and the game shouldn't be closed as it was... but the W is a W.... rather disappointing performance IMO but maybe we needed this without actually losing.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You... doubting? Never! ;)

There are also games where we are favored and you think we're dead before kickoff.

Man, I can't help it. These guys drive me crazy.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Davis get shut out last night? I only remember him clumsily stepping out of bounds on a ball he should have had and dropping another pass from Kaepernick that, in his defense, was poorly thrown.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pozz I live in Toledo Ohio and listen to the Cleveland sports station quite often. They said Alex is as good as gone. He doesn't want to be there any more.

Yikes!

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anthony Dixon did look good as a FB and was making some nice key blocks. He looks more natural as a FB than he did as a HB

Iupati made some nice blocks and got down the field to get some second level blocks he was not making earlier this season. I hope that means his legs are healed up.

Brock is great and getting a jump on the ball when he reads the play. I just hope he doesn't fall for the fake and go like he did earlier this year.

49ers basically ran a defensive scheme that was like how Nolan used the 9ers back in the day. The crappy bend but don't break defense with no rushing and no pressure and give up a lot of first downs which in turn leads to points. When they blitzed they made big plays. Don't know why they were so afraid to do it more. Also rush 4 people not just 3. That made no sense what so ever.

Crabtree is looking better and better each week. That will be key for the super bowl run

Eric Reid looked good on that blitz. He got on Ryan in a hurry and made him rush that throw that Brock tipped and Bowman got the reward of a pick 6. He made some mistakes in tackling but otherwise played a good game.

Jerrod-Eddie and Dorsey tonight got dominated. They got no push what so ever and it lead to big runs. Every time they did get a good push Willis or Bowman made the play in the backfield. If there is a big space eating NT in the draft 9ers should grab him to be the Wilfork for the niners defense. That and a CB to replace Rodgers are all that are needed to be drafted fpr defense next year. Maybe a SS as well if they don't resign Hitner.

The offense still needs a fast WR to get deep on the edges to open up the rest of the field. Too many defenders get away with being able to be in the box to stop the run. The 9ers should draft like 3 of these types of players and then just have them battle it out.

Kaepernick needs to learn how to step up in the pocket. I saw him run out of perfect pockets and into defenders 4-5 times. Got to trust your blockers some. Gore will pick up that blitz. Step up and throw a strike.

Goodwin just flat out is not trying or just cant move. He gives up and just leans on people. That aint blocking and he is just plain worthless. He must go. If he was replaced tonight be Kilgore I would be happy.

Will Tukuafu had 12 plays at fullback. Anthony Dixon had 11. Quinton Patton saw 18 snaps as No. 3 WR, but did not see a pass thrown his way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I noticed Patton was routinely the first guy down the field to congratulate someone on a completion. Would be nice to actually start using him as a receiver....

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Patton was routinely the first guy down the field to congratulate someone on a completion. Would be nice to actually start using him as a receiver....

I also noticed that he didn't seem to know where to line up on several plays and Kaepernick had to direct him to a spot.