• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My review of the game

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The defense is playing very vanilla, almost conservative. They still have an aggressive attitude in appearance, but the lack of sacks and forced turn-overs this season says otherwise...

The D is living off window dressing, and most of the times it works. However when opposing offenses step up and play physical from whistle to whistle you can see the cracks in the defense...

Soap is not holding the point consistently and physical runners are gashing us because of it. I'm not sure how much they are or can rotate the nose, but something needs to be done. And I still think we need another pass rusher opposite Aldon. Brooks is playing well, but we need some fear generated from the left side...

Fangio needs to change things up a little at this point, teams are figuring our defense out...

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
St. Louis is getting better than 3 years ago! They came out and started putting it to us at first! I thought Alex played tough but the symptoms started to take over! Kap showed some speed, movement in the pocket, and some arm strength when needed. Special teams need to pick it up! I was watching the game on Fox didn't have time to go back and forth here! Go 49ers!!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the worst units were special teams, defense, coaching, and then, offense. I would put the blame on:

1. Akers - no matter what else happened prior, he could have finished the game right there with a win. He got a lot of credit last year, blame for one game that ends in a tie, isn't too much.
2. Special teams as a whole - missed kick and 2 fake punts. Didn't get to the 20 on several returns. Got the kickoff fumble, so it's better than Akers alone.
3. Defense - first two drives and the last regulation drive were killers. (Obviously when you isolate scores in a loss, they are mostly all killers.) Offense at least scored on their second attempt before Kaep had to be put in (in which he did well). Defense was better than special teams because it did well in overtime and after the second score.
4. Coaching - This could be higher than defense, but I felt there were special circumstances that made it harder on them, so I think they're a bit less blameworthy. Defense faced the same team as they practiced for. Not being prepared for the second fake punt when they did it before was a negative. Plus, it looked like a different formation, before the movement, but I could be wrong.
5. Offense - Smith could have slid better. I thought he was being too tough in taking that hit for no good. I thought we should have started the game better, too. Kaepernick did well enough that I wouldn't list him separetely on this list like I did Akers, even if it would be the last on the list. He was great on the ground and got better through the air as the game went on. The sacks were rookie sacks, as opposed to the sacks Smith takes.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: Just read that the concussion was from the quarterback sneak, not the ackward slide. I still think the slide was bad for him based upon how bad it looked, but damn, if we only had Hunter or Gore run for the first there instead of getting him injured. Matt Schaub got injured on a sneak a year or two ago.

Oh, and obviously the Offense didn't score on second attempt as I said. It was third, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon gets plenty of sacks without Justin Smith. The problem is that nobody else seems to generate any pressure. I feel like today was a loss. I mean, it was. Should have been a win. How many times could the Rams bail the Niners out!? Shouldn't have been as close as it was but the team got outplayed on pretty much every level. Aside from Andy Lee kicking balls inside the 5 like it was going out of style.

I was saying in another thread that I don't trust the defense when the game is on the line. Then today proved that over and over again. The Rams shot themselves in the foot more than the defense ever stopped them. Most frustrating sporting event I have seen in a long time. The tie feels worse than a loss to me for some reason.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: Just read that the concussion was from the quarterback sneak, not the ackward slide. I still think the slide was bad for him based upon how bad it looked, but damn, if we only had Hunter or Gore run for the first there instead of getting him injured. Matt Schaub got injured on a sneak a year or two ago.

Oh, and obviously the Offense didn't score on second attempt as I said. It was third, I believe.

So you think if we had Smith in there we would of scored more then 17 points the rest of the game? I have a hard time believing that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think if we had Smith in there we would of scored more then 17 points the rest of the game? I have a hard time believing that.

He's done it before, but that's not what I said. I don't want our starting QB to have a concussion. That's what I was referring to by saying I wish we got the first with a RB.

I am a Niner fan first, but I am also a Smith fan, so I won't try to hide my obvious fandom. Doesn't mean I think he would do it everytime or specifically this time, but I know he could. I mean, it's pretty fucking simple for a NFL QB to do it every once in a while. Consistency and doing it against the playoff teams (which STL isn't) is the harder part. Most QBs could do it from time to time, so I don't get what's so hard to believe that we could have done it this time. This just sounds like classic Smith bashing (which is not "hating"). From what I've seen from you, this is standard. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing that you say positive about Smith.

First, we were down 7 points when Smith went down - if he's not injured, who knows how many points STL would score. More? Fewer? A single possession could change the whole game. The only unchanged drive would be the STL possession before Kaep's first drive. We could have scored on Kaep's first drive or we could have thrown an INT. We could have had more time of possession with Smith in, we could have fumbled. Too many variables. Second, even if we were to suppose the same game, 7 points were from Gore after a kickoff return fumble. Alex is capable of scoring 10 points in three quarters.

Hats off to Kaepernick for what he did. He's my QB too when he plays. All I know is that we, if given the choice, should wish our players to stay healthy. If Harbaugh, when both are healthy, wants Keap in, great!

P.S. Yes, I know my posts are long... and about our QB.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep should start from here on out. I don't see how he can't, at least, play the same Alex plays on this team. Let's see what the kid's got.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep should start from here on out. I don't see how he can't, at least, play the same Alex plays on this team. Let's see what the kid's got.

To soon for this, not yet. If Alex is healthy I say he plays. I think a higher caliber defense like the Bears or Ravens would tear Kapernick apart. He did good today, I was impressed. But I am not ready to give him the keys just yet. Now if we were 2-7 I would be all for it, but not at 6-2-1, there is still plenty of life in this season and a playoff appearance to go.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's done it before, but that's not what I said. I don't want our starting QB to have a concussion. That's what I was referring to by saying I wish we got the first with a RB.

I am a Niner fan first, but I am also a Smith fan, so I won't try to hide my obvious fandom. Doesn't mean I think he would do it everytime or specifically this time, but I know he could. I mean, it's pretty fucking simple for a NFL QB to do it every once in a while. Consistency and doing it against the playoff teams (which STL isn't) is the harder part. Most QBs could do it from time to time, so I don't get what's so hard to believe that we could have done it this time. This just sounds like classic Smith bashing (which is not "hating"). From what I've seen from you, this is standard. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing that you say positive about Smith.

You probably don't know what your talking about. I don't post often and when I do I don't bash players. Only time I say something negative about Smith is when he holds on to the ball way to long.

And I didn't say anything negative about him. Just that I don't think he could of scored more then 17 points like Kaep did.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing for sure, it looks like the coaches have incorporated Kap very much into the practices and playbook in terms of running the offenses. I wonder/hope Kap will now take it deeper in terms of film review, gameplanning, perparation(not sayin he wasn't) now that Alex had a concussion and may be forced back into the game....

It's a matter of experience for Kap, recognizing coverages, the blitzes and taking control. I DO NOT have a problem with Kap starting. But Prime got to work on his accuracy though. He could've put up bigger #s had he come close to his open targets.... i find this shocking IMO

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance Kaep should start, starting hiim would be throwing the season away IMO. He can run the football, we all know that but his passing leaves some to be desired.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance Kaep should start, starting hiim would be throwing the season away IMO. He can run the football, we all know that but his passing leaves some to be desired.

i wouldn't go as far as saying we're throwing away the season Shanahan!!! :nerd:

But in the event that Alex can't go healthy, I would not be too worried with Kap in the center... as long as he makes the right reads and don't get careless with the ball.

He needs to improve with in game accuracy but I bet after getting his feet wet, the nerves were dusted off and i'm sure the next go he'll be ready and calm.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though this Bears game is going to be a big one, a part of me is hoping Alex is out for next week just to see what Kapernick can do

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If a team shuts down Kaps running ability, which wouldn't be too hard to do when they are game planning for him and against a decent defense, it will be a disaster. Kap doesnt appear to make reads and is extremely hesitant with the ball. Kap looked down right scared to throw it some times

If we continued to start Kap, I believe it would cost us some games and potentially the season. IMO there will be just too many growing pains going that direction.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooner or later, if Kap is to be our destined starter, he's going to need to play regular season games.... but we'll see, if Alex clears and seems quite healthy, Alex will start.

But if that doesn't come true, I wouldn't be too worried about Kap. He needs to trust his throws and make them.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they need to make that decision quickly, given that Kap is 2nd string. If kap is going to play he needs as much time with the #1 offense as possible. I think Smith is a better starter at this point but based on yesterday I am optimistic about Kap being a starter, he was making some awesome throws out there.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably don't know what your talking about. I don't post often and when I do I don't bash players. Only time I say something negative about Smith is when he holds on to the ball way to long.

And I didn't say anything negative about him. Just that I don't think he could of scored more then 17 points like Kaep did.

That is negative, especially when Gore scored 7 of those 17 points off a fumbled kick return. I know you said "nore than 17", but 18 or more is within his abilities. We weren't down 17 and this wasn't the Giants we were playing. I like what Kaep did, but good play from Kaep doesn't mean Smith couldn't do it. It just means Kaep can. If that's enough to play Kaep in Harbaugh's mind, great. "Hard to believe" sounds stronger than "wouldn't bet on it," for example.

The Niners scored on Smith's last possession, when we were down 14. Then, there was a 3 and out by Bradford. Again, this wasn't against the Giants. Against middle of the pack teams, he can play from a defecit. I'm pretty sure Smith could pull out the same or more points, though doing it differently than Kaep. None of this is ringing endorsement for Smith; it's simply reasonable expectations after seeing him play. When people suggest that he cannot meet reasonable expectations that he's done before against a soso team, that is stretching it. Sure, he could come in and lose the momentum, but it's easy to believe that 10 points plus the Gore run was possible. When people overrate what Smith's done, that's stretching, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is negative, especially when Gore scored 7 of those 17 points off a fumbled kick return. I know you said "nore than 17", but 18 or more is within his abilities. We weren't down 17 and this wasn't the Giants we were playing. I like what Kaep did, but good play from Kaep doesn't mean Smith couldn't do it. It just means Kaep can. If that's enough to play Kaep in Harbaugh's mind, great. "Hard to believe" sounds stronger than "wouldn't bet on it," for example.

The Niners scored on Smith's last possession, when we were down 14. Then, there was a 3 and out by Bradford. Again, this wasn't against the Giants. Against middle of the pack teams, he can play from a defecit. I'm pretty sure Smith could pull out the same or more points, though doing it differently than Kaep. None of this is ringing endorsement for Smith; it's simply reasonable expectations after seeing him play. When people suggest that he cannot meet reasonable expectations that he's done before against a soso team, that is stretching it. Sure, he could come in and lose the momentum, but it's easy to believe that 10 points plus the Gore run was possible. When people overrate what Smith's done, that's stretching, too.

I think we definitely would have had more points by halftime because I dont think Smith would have missed Williams - but also because he absolutely picked them apart on his last drive, and Crabtree did the rest. He offense was just getting started when he went down IMO. I think that would've continued.

We probably win this game in RT with him - but that's no knock on Kap - he had a good 2nd half made some plays with his feet, and he put us in a position to win. That's all you can ask from your backup who is suddenly pressed into play.

If Kap is named the starter for next week and the Bears gameplan accordingly I do not think we stand much of a chance - they will force him to pass and force several turnovers. If they don't know who's coming he definitely has a better chance.