• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My review of the game

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If it wasn't a Super Bowl or bust season I would be all in for CK to start but right now every win is important so I believe Smith is the better option in this situation.

I think CK can handle the job but just watching him it's clear it's going to take some tough games and losses before he puts it together.

I'm all in for CK to start in 2013 where he can take all the reps in with the 1st string in the offseason programs and he'll be that more of a polished product on the field.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team shuts down Kaps running ability, which wouldn't be too hard to do when they are game planning for him and against a decent defense, it will be a disaster. Kap doesnt appear to make reads and is extremely hesitant with the ball. Kap looked down right scared to throw it some times

If we continued to start Kap, I believe it would cost us some games and potentially the season. IMO there will be just too many growing pains going that direction.

In the first couple series, yeah. But in the 2nd half I didn't really see that at all. That throw to Manningham and the throw to Davis over the middle come to mind. It was a 3rd and 18 I think and Kap gunned it to Davis over the middle and he caught it and we were a half a yard short, we went for it and got the 1st. If Smith was in the game I don't think he can make that throw, not enough arm strength and I think he would of been to scared too.

As the game went on, he got more confidence and got better. The rest of the 1st half wasn't good but his 2nd half was great. Probably only 3 or so incomplete passes. And made some great throws that led to points. He gave us a chance to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is negative, especially when Gore scored 7 of those 17 points off a fumbled kick return. I know you said "nore than 17", but 18 or more is within his abilities. We weren't down 17 and this wasn't the Giants we were playing. I like what Kaep did, but good play from Kaep doesn't mean Smith couldn't do it. It just means Kaep can. If that's enough to play Kaep in Harbaugh's mind, great. "Hard to believe" sounds stronger than "wouldn't bet on it," for example.

The Niners scored on Smith's last possession, when we were down 14. Then, there was a 3 and out by Bradford. Again, this wasn't against the Giants. Against middle of the pack teams, he can play from a defecit. I'm pretty sure Smith could pull out the same or more points, though doing it differently than Kaep. None of this is ringing endorsement for Smith; it's simply reasonable expectations after seeing him play. When people suggest that he cannot meet reasonable expectations that he's done before against a soso team, that is stretching it. Sure, he could come in and lose the momentum, but it's easy to believe that 10 points plus the Gore run was possible. When people overrate what Smith's done, that's stretching, too.

I think you are just trying to turn what I said into something negative about Smith. I don't think Smith sucks or we would of lost for sure if he did stay in. But its hard as a fan, watching him for as long as we have to believe he would of made some of the plays Kaep did that led us to points. Its not that he is a bad QB because Smith is pretty good. Wasn't being negative about him and I haven't in the past. I feel like Kaep has more talent then Smith does and I like seeing something different then the same thing for 8 years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In the first couple series, yeah. But in the 2nd half I didn't really see that at all. That throw to Manningham and the throw to Davis over the middle come to mind. It was a 3rd and 18 I think and Kap gunned it to Davis over the middle and he caught it and we were a half a yard short, we went for it and got the 1st. If Smith was in the game I don't think he can make that throw, not enough arm strength and I think he would of been to scared too.

As the game went on, he got more confidence and got better. The rest of the 1st half wasn't good but his 2nd half was great. Probably only 3 or so incomplete passes. And made some great throws that led to points. He gave us a chance to win.

it isn't surprising Kap didn't start off with a bang, but agree he played better in the 2nd half. overall thought he did a good job considering his first extensive action.

if Alex isn't ready, i'd go ahead and play Kap next game. as in all injuries, prefer players don't rush back too soon.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question... in terms of playoff seeding are we ahead of the Giants? We have the same amount of wins but they beat us head to head but we have less losses. Anybody know how it works?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Question... in terms of playoff seeding are we ahead of the Giants? We have the same amount of wins but they beat us head to head but we have less losses. Anybody know how it works?

SF is ahead of the Giants right now. If the 49ers were to finish at 9-6-1 and New York were to finish at 9-7, the 49ers would finish ahead of them by a half of a game. Same thing if the 49ers finished 10-5-1 and New York were to finish at 10-6. And so on........

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is playing very vanilla, almost conservative. They still have an aggressive attitude in appearance, but the lack of sacks and forced turn-overs this season says otherwise...

Man, remember in the pre season when everyone was saying this? But we all thought that it was just because they didn't want to give anything away to the Packers so it was done on purpose. Maybe that wasn't completely false?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
essentially that half game matters in the loss column by the looks of it.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF is ahead of the Giants right now. If the 49ers were to finish at 9-6-1 and New York were to finish at 9-7, the 49ers would finish ahead of them by a half of a game. Same thing if the 49ers finished 10-5-1 and New York were to finish at 10-6. And so on........

we're ahead of the giants

OK cool. Thanks guys. I thought it would be something like that, but wasn't sure.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To soon for this, not yet. If Alex is healthy I say he plays. I think a higher caliber defense like the Bears or Ravens would tear Kapernick apart. He did good today, I was impressed. But I am not ready to give him the keys just yet. Now if we were 2-7 I would be all for it, but not at 6-2-1, there is still plenty of life in this season and a playoff appearance to go.

The Rams are not a bad a defense. 14th overall and 13th against the pass. The Ravens are 26th against the pass and the Bears are 9th.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rams are not a bad a defense. 14th overall and 13th against the pass. The Ravens are 26th against the pass and the Bears are 9th.

yesterday, the Rams defense played well. its too easy to think our O is bad and Kap isn't the starter, but their D was also GOOD.

if Kap has to go, then play him. wouldn't worry about who he plays against, Bears D notwithstanding. the Bears do have a solid D, but we have to look at our situation first.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this makes sense, i would imagine the bears defense having more "issues(if)" in planning against Kap than vs Alex.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst performance by far of the year. Inexcusable to get whipped like that at home. The Rams won that game and just got jobbed by the refs.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this makes sense, i would imagine the bears defense having more "issues(if)" in planning against Kap than vs Alex.[/QUOTE]

I would think a simple pass rush up the middle would put an end to any chance Kaepernick had of being successful. He had happy feet every time he was pressured. I'd much rather have Smith's experience in there against the Bears. Once Kaepernick settled down against the Rams he did a fairly credible job though. A little better than I thought he would do.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are just trying to turn what I said into something negative about Smith. I don't think Smith sucks or we would of lost for sure if he did stay in. But its hard as a fan, watching him for as long as we have to believe he would of made some of the plays Kaep did that led us to points. Its not that he is a bad QB because Smith is pretty good. Wasn't being negative about him and I haven't in the past. I feel like Kaep has more talent then Smith does and I like seeing something different then the same thing for 8 years.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on certain things, but we probably agree more than disagree.

We wouldn't have called the same plays with Smith as we did with Kaepernick. So Kaep's skillset is not directly related to whether we'd score with Smith's skillset. This is why I think we'd score 17 points or more with Smith playing with Smith's style (7 of them non-QB related). If Smith were forced to play Kaep's plays, sure, he would struggle, but the gameplan isn't exactly the same. That's why presuming he wouldn't have scored it like Kaep is irrelevant, because he might have scored as much as Kaep with different plays. But, I don't think either of us will convince the other, so we should just move on. I just wanted to clarify what I meant, not say you were necessarily wrong. Just different opinions.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its much easier for a back up to come in during a game and be successful than it is when the opposition knows he will be starting an upcoming game and has time to prepare for him. I'd hate to see what happens if kaepernick starts against the Bears.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its much easier for a back up to come in during a game and be successful than it is when the opposition knows he will be starting an upcoming game and has time to prepare for him. I'd hate to see what happens if kaepernick starts against the Bears.

who starts isn't dictated by who we play, it is our own team situation. if Alex is ready to go, then great.

but if he isn't, i wouldn't 'rush' him back because we're playing the Bears. so if Kap has to start, so be it. of course we can't expect All Pro play, but what options do we have?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this makes sense, i would imagine the bears defense having more "issues(if)" in planning against Kap than vs Alex.[/QUOTE]

I would think a simple pass rush up the middle would put an end to any chance Kaepernick had of being successful. He had happy feet every time he was pressured. I'd much rather have Smith's experience in there against the Bears. Once Kaepernick settled down against the Rams he did a fairly credible job though. A little better than I thought he would do.

Oh I would want Alex back there if healthy but if not, as long as Harbs/Roman don't get too fancy or too exotic with designs, I'd imagine they'll put Kap in the best place to succeed.

We can't leave him on the island to start off, I'd imagine the gameplan would be more run oriented and PA and none of that QB design gimmicks.

If Kap can be accurate, that would push back the bears LBs into coverage. His velocity and arm is beyond that of Smith's but the accuracy wasn't there yet on deep throws. towards the end of the game it was.

Its going to be a learning experience that Kap needs and we as fans must go through. Now our defense will need to pick it up and play to the challenge too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh I would want Alex back there if healthy but if not, as long as Harbs/Roman don't get too fancy or too exotic with designs, I'd imagine they'll put Kap in the best place to succeed.

We can't leave him on the island to start off, I'd imagine the gameplan would be more run oriented and PA and none of that QB design gimmicks.

If Kap can be accurate, that would push back the bears LBs into coverage. His velocity and arm is beyond that of Smith's but the accuracy wasn't there yet on deep throws. towards the end of the game it was.

Its going to be a learning experience that Kap needs and we as fans must go through. Now our defense will need to pick it up and play to the challenge too.

ST's is always important but in this case, very much so.

on paper, a low scoring defensive game, so all field goals are important.