• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My official Week 1 thread (Part 1)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you enjoyed my college football previews, then you're gonna enjoy this! This is the first weekly thread based on the 2014 college football season that I'll be doing, and you're invited to post on it with me!
Stay tuned as I begin my analysis.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday and Friday Top 10

The college football season starts TONIGHT! (Okay, it's Abilene Christian vs. Georgia State, but that counts).​

Now I'm thinking that for each week of the season, I should do a Top 10 of all the big games for that week, including the top game being hyped like a pro wrestling main event. This post will be a test of my new system (as I'm only doing tomorrow and Friday's games here), so without further adieu...

It's the Top 10 games of Week 1 (Part 1)!

(All times are Eastern)
10. UNLV at Arizona [10:30 Friday, ESPN] (Arizona and R-rod is ready to start the season against a Rebel team off their first bowl appearance in over a decade).

9. Temple at Vanderbilt [9:15 Thursday, SEC Network] (At least we'll find out a little bit about Vanderbilt's new quarterback and coach here).

8. BYU at Connecticut [7:00 Friday, ESPN] (An interesting test for BYU as they visit UConn and their new head man Bob Diaco, who I bet has something planned for Tayson Hill and that BYU offense).

7. Tulane at Tulsa [8:00 Thursday, CBS Sports Network] (Laugh all you want, but in my opinion this game's HUGE for both teams. Both the Green Wave and the Golden Hurricane are in need of momentum as they enter a new world in the AAC with hard schedules).

6. UTSA at Houston [9:00 Friday, ESPN U] (Don't sell this game short, either. Both the Roadrunners and the Cougars are aiming for championship gold in 2014, and they'll savor any ascension in the great state of Texas).

5. Bowling Green at Western Kentucky [7:30 Friday, CBS Sports Network] (This could be the sleeper game of this early slate, as the Falcons are looking to beat the Hilltoppers in the "Battle of the Bowling Greens").

4. Colorado State vs. Colorado {in Denver} [9:00 Friday, FOX Sports 1] (Since the year 2000, this has become an early college football staple... but the Buffaloes will be looking to create some distance between them and the Rams here).

3. Rutgers vs. Washington State {in Seattle} [10:00 Thursday, FOX Sports 1] (In CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Rutgers play their first game as a member of the Big 10, and they'll seek their first-ever win against the PAC 12 as they fight Washington State, who's just off their first bowl since 2003).

2. Boise State vs. Ole Miss {in Atlanta} [8:00 Thursday, ESPN] (It's Bryan Harsin's big debut as Boise's coach as he tries to do the impossible and fill the shoes of Chris Petersen. One thing's for sure here: How well Bryan has prepared his players for this nationally-televised game will dictate if Boise will hang with the steadily-improving Rebels).

And finally... at 6:00 on the SEC Network on Thursday...

The NCAA proudly presents... Our Main Event!

The highly-praised Gamecocks of South Carolina will look to make us believe the hype... as they take on a determined Texas A&M Aggies team with a lot to prove! The first big game of the 2014 CFB season is in SEC country!

Ahem... And that's how I'll do it this season! I now leave it to you guys...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1 predictions

I'll try to post to you guys about tonight's action, so don't worry about that. But before that, here's my Top 25 predictions for the entire week (The FBS vs. FCS games doesn't count, since I expect the FBS teams to handle business with those guys).

(1) Florida State 40 vs. Oklahoma State 19
West Virginia 10 vs. (2) Alabama 33
Louisiana Tech 9 @ (4) Oklahoma 44
(5) Ohio State 28 vs. Navy 22
Arkansas 14 @ (6) Auburn 39
(7) UCLA 34 @ Virginia 16
SMU 20 @ (10) Baylor 55
(16) Clemson 26 @ (12) Georgia 27
(14) Wisconsin 22 vs. (13) LSU 28
Fresno State 7 @ (15) USC 40
Rice 6 @ (17) Notre Dame 23
Florida Atlantic 7 @ (22) Nebraska 32
(25) Washington 30 @ Hawaii 10

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bawling: Sorry folks. The big mess in Ukraine has got me all messed up. So i'll retire for now and check back tomorrow to see what happened.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A&M vs. Carolina thoughts

Texas A&M Aggies vs. South Carolina Gamecocks - Recap - August 28, 2014 - ESPN

I honestly don't get this. I knew that Texas A&M was looking to prove something to the nation here, but 52 points and 680 total yards AT South Carolina? This could mean either the A&M players are that good, or that the Gamecock defense is that bad. And how about that sophomore QB Kenny Hill? 511 passing yards on the road in his first game playing Johnny Football... :10: for that kid.

I won't bury South Carolina after one game, but they did take a hit, and now it's up to Spurrier to rally the troops. But we DID learn one thing from this game: I should have never put the Aggies behind Mississippi State in the preseason.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake Forest 10 vs. Louisiana Monroe 17

In my preseason picks, I thought that Louisiana Monroe's opener against Wake was critical in their plans for 2014. And lo and behold, the magic of the Duck Dynasty guys worked in their favor for their 2nd straight win over Wake.
And as for Wake, if there was any doubt over whether or not this would be a long year for them, you just got your answer.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowling Green vs. West Kentucky recap

Bowling Green Falcons vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers - Recap - August 29, 2014 - ESPN

Again, I know it's only 1 game and you can't make accusations about a team on just 1 game, but the Falcons looked lost against the Hilltoppers. Here's hoping they can fix things; otherwise my prophecy of them not winning the MAC East will come true.

As for Western Kentucky, great performance by Brandon Doughty (a school record 569 passing yards)! Now let's see him do that against Illinois next week; THEN we'll buy this team as a true threat.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Nova vs. Syracuse recap

Villanova Wildcats vs. Syracuse Orange - Recap - August 29, 2014 - ESPN

I know Syracuse won, but we needed double-overtime to do it? Against Villanova? By 1 point? :L

Let's just say the Orange's coach Scott Shafer will whip his wards into shape in the 2 weeks before Syracuse's next game (at Central Michigan)... or at least I hope so.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saturday through Monday Top 10

As the familiar sounds of the College Gameday theme comes through my house, it's time for me to deliver some knowledge. Yes, it's time for my first real Top 10 of the 2014 season!

Now in addition to my picks for the Top 10 games of the week, I'll give you my best "Group of 5" game to watch and the game that has the best chance to be a snoozer. So, without further adieu...

The Top 10 Games of Week 1 (Part 2)

(All times are Eastern)
10. California @ Northwestern [3:30, mostly ESPN2 but ABC in certain markets] (It's the Wildcats's first game since they kick-started the whole union issue, which then lead to the students getting more help with expenses by the NCAA, and then the major conferences wanted to make their own rules, and... well, you get the picture. Lost in all this mess is the Golden Bears, who NEEDS to take advantage of all this chaos to beat Northwestern and be taken seriously in 2014).

9. Arkansas @ Auburn [4:00, SEC Network] (I just heard about this on ESPN: A pizza place in Arkansas will sell discounted pizzas to customers if the Razorbacks do the unthinkable and beat Auburn. Honestly, I don't think the owner of the restaurant will have to worry about that).

8. Fresno State @ USC [7:30, FOX] (You folks in Southern California thought your problems were over when Sarkisian took over the team, did you? The Josh Shaw story has overshadowed what should have been a proud in-state game between teams that fought each other in a bowl game last year. So if Fresno doesn't have a QB that can step up right away {like A&M did}, it could be a long night for them).

7. Utah State @ Tennessee [7:00 Sunday, SEC Network] (Knoxville fans are on edge for this reason: Odds-makers see Utah St. as only a 5-point underdog on the road against Tennessee. Well, I have the Vols winning... by 5 points or less).

6. UCLA @ Virginia [12:00, ESPN] (Just my luck. As soon as I pick UCLA to make the playoff, ESPN says their schedule is the hardest in the nation. To be fair, starting at 9 A.M local time against a Virginia team desperate to show improvement isn't the easiest way to start your national title push).

5. West Virginia vs. Alabama {in Atlanta} [3:30, mostly ABC but ESPN2 in some markets] (Well, it's time for the "Nick Saban Revenge Tour 2014" to begin, as everyone will be nervous about the Tide due to their QB issue... and act surprised when West Virginia loses by 35 here).

4. Florida State vs. Oklahoma State {in Arlington} [8:00, ABC] (We all know the Cowboys have been treated like second-bananas in Arlington since they touched down. That'll chance VERY quickly if they make "Famous Jameis" sweat).

3. Miami @ Louisville [8:00 Monday, ESPN] :-)yahoo: The soon-to-be train wreck that is Louisville starts their run in the ACC against the already-train-wreck that is Miami. One thing's for sure: Whether it's a close game or a Louisville humiliation, the people are gonna watch).

2. LSU vs. Wisconsin {in Houston} [9:30, ESPN] (Wait a minute... This may not be the blowout I thought it was gonna be. LSU just settled on a starting QB last night, and Wisconsin will have the determination to boost the overall profile of the Big 10 with a major non-conference win).

And finally, at 5:30 on ESPN...

The NCAA proudly presents... Our main event!

A rematch of last year's epic encounter between... the reborn Clemson Tigers... and the payback-seeking Bulldogs of Georgia... between the hedges of Athens, Georgia!

Ahem... Now for the "mid-major" game of the week and the "bust of the week".

Mid-major game of the week: Ohio @ Kent State (In the crowded state of Ohio, these two teams will fight for a leg up in not just the state, but the MAC East division).
Game with the best chance to be a bust: Ohio State vs. Navy (People are so worried about the Buckeyes after Braxton Miller went down, but they should relax. Urban Meyer's still here, so they'll be fine... at least for this week).

And I'm done! Now excuse me, folks, I've kept College Gameday waiting for too long. Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!