• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My kingdom for a horse

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Cam Talbot appears to be that horse. I'm not saying that Henrik Lundqvist is going to be demoted to backup duties, but now one has to ask, "who's the better goalie?"

Career wise, there's no disputing that Lundqvist has had the better career. He's been a Vezina finalist 5 times in 8 seasons, he won the award in 2012, he's been carrying the Rangers on his back year after year, and he's become an icon of the grand stage which is Madison Square Garden.

At the same time, what has he done lately & what will he do going forward. Even tho he's had a very impressive career, we have to remember that he's 31 years old and he will be 32 when his contract expires. Even great athletes have a tendency to hit their decline after reaching the age of 32. It might not be hard to replace him. We're seeing a goalie that's been an AHLer his whole career, only got a chance because Martin Biron could no longer live up to the duties of being a backup, and now he's consistently outperforming Lundqvist on a regular basis. From win loss percentage, goals against average, save percentage, & shutouts, there's no denying that Cam Talbot has been the better goalie for the Rangers so far this season.

Does this mean Cam will make Hank into a backup and take his place as the new Rangers' starter? Probably not. We have to remember that Lundqvist has a better reputation, more recognition, and serves as a greater draw. For this reason I believe the Rangers will stand by Lundqvist this season & beyond.

At the same time, I have questions about the contract situation. As many of you know, this is Henrik Lundqvist's final year under contract and he's been rumored to have asked for as much as $8.4 million per season for 8 seasons ($67.2 million total). Even before the emergence of Cam Talbot, I would've said that's a ridiculous request, but knowing his statuture, he just might get it. Now with Cam Talbot showing that replacing Lundqvist might not be as difficult as it originally seemed. For this reason, I would expect the Rangers to make their offer less than what they would have been before. Could this tear the 2 sides apart to the extent where Lundqvist doesn't re-sign with the team? I'm not too sure, for the first time ever I don't know how confident I an about the Rangers & Lundqvist continuing their relationship following this season.

Wondered what Ranger fans think. A lot of Ranger fans appear loyal to Hank, but is this the best way to go about it for the coming years?

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First great write-up D, some scenarios are going to surface from this Ranger tandem. I think Hank is declining, the focus problems are obvious now, even msg broadcasters have pointed the problem out, and its been going on for 3 years now.

When Hank came into the league he DID shutdown teams but when you get smashed by 5 goals then turnaround and shut a team down you have to ask whats going on. He would be a great backup for the Rangers but at the same time Sather and AV can not ignore what Talbot is doing at the beginning stages of his career. I hope Hank stays with the Rangers but we are talking about wins and postseason, I hope AV goes for the wins.

Keep an eye out for scrivens in LA, he would look good in Red/White and Blue?!?!

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in between a rock and a hard place right now with this. Can't ignore what Talbot has done so far but if they really want him to be the starter, I want to see him start 8/10 games and see if he can handle the full work load as the starter. It's a lot easier to play every 3-4 games than it is to start 4-5 games in a row. This will be itneresting to see what they do with Hank coming up as a FA and Talbot being 4 years younger and playing the way he is.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are a lot of things to consider. On one hand, Hank has been a phenomenal goalie for the Rangers all these years, and maybe they do owe him something in return. On the other hand, if Hank goes on the decline and Cam is capable of filling in, then the Rangers would be better off letting Hank go, keeping Cam, and having a lot more cap space over the next 8 or so years.

I don't think this is an easy decision, but I'm beginning to think that Cam is looking like a more and more viable option as every game passes.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I got bad news for you stealth, as much as I would love to see Ben Scrivens play for team USA, he's unfortunately a Canadian.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in between a rock and a hard place right now with this. Can't ignore what Talbot has done so far but if they really want him to be the starter, I want to see him start 8/10 games and see if he can handle the full work load as the starter. It's a lot easier to play every 3-4 games than it is to start 4-5 games in a row. This will be itneresting to see what they do with Hank coming up as a FA and Talbot being 4 years younger and playing the way he is.

If Hank can win the upmost percentage of his starts there wont be an issue on who starts......the real problem are his focus issues and now they have surfaced within Ranger media. I mean look at the shot by Chara and Hank saw it alll the way without a screen or deflection. This has happened way too much in his past 3 years

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hank can win the upmost percentage of his starts there wont be an issue on who starts......the real problem are his focus issues and now they have surfaced within Ranger media. I mean look at the shot by Chara and Hank saw it alll the way without a screen or deflection. This has happened way too much in his past 3 years

That's always been a problem with Hank, he will stop the most difficult shot in the game and make spectacular saves, but ones he should eat up and simple, he doesn't. Lately he's been having a lot of problems with rebound control and that has let to goals, but i'm still not ready to give up on him. Not after all he's done for this team, he's been the most consistent player on this team since the last lockout.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always been a problem with Hank, he will stop the most difficult shot in the game and make spectacular saves, but ones he should eat up and simple, he doesn't. Lately he's been having a lot of problems with rebound control and that has let to goals, but i'm still not ready to give up on him. Not after all he's done for this team, he's been the most consistent player on this team since the last lockout.

Its like this nobody is giving up on Hank, the only thing Hank has to do is get to an above 500 performance mark which means WIN, then there wont be a starting role issue it becomes mute. But if he maintains this see-saw record AV will have to go with Talbot because at the moment he gives the Rangers the better chance to win towards a post-season

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Talbot should be handed the job because I will go with the career over a few starts, but considering where this team is and where it needs to be to win a cup I would not be angry if we traded him at the deadline to get picks and prospects so we can be better going forward.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is that I've always been a stats guy,

and when I look at this,

# GOALIE GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO SA GA SV% G A PIM
30 HENRIK LUNDQVIST 20 19 1100 2.51 8 11 0 2 553 46 .917 0 1 0
33 CAM TALBOT 8 7 444 1.49 6 1 0 2 198 11 .944 0 0 0

2013-2014 Regular Season Stats - Points - New York Rangers - Statistics

and then compare it to this

Lundqvist, Henrik » $6,875,000
UFA
Talbot, Cameron » $562,500
RFA
New York Rangers Salary Cap Chart

It really makes me wonder if the Rangers would be better off trading Hank at the deadline.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, the Doobster doesn't mean to start any sort of goalie controversy. I'm just really SHOCKED how right on stealth was about Cam Talbot. I thought he would be better than Biron, but better than Hank? Wow...

Props 2 Stealth

:suds:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who you feel is the better goalie, the fact remains that the Rangers have been a better team when Cam Talbot starts. Him and Chris Kreider have been the 2 biggest sparks for the team's turnaround.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who you feel is the better goalie, the fact remains that the Rangers have been a better team when Cam Talbot starts. Him and Chris Kreider have been the 2 biggest sparks for the team's turnaround.

true and that has been the case and yes that is my opinion because this is a message board discussing Talbot and Lundqvist, Im pretty sure AV doesnt know I even exist

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true and that has been the case and yes that is my opinion because this is a message board discussing Talbot and Lundqvist, Im pretty sure AV doesnt know I even exist

Yup, but if even I am willing to admit Cam Talbot deserves to start over Hank right now, then it's not a surprise AV realizes it. I just wonder if he'll get fired for this like Bruce Broudeau & Dale Hunter did did for demoting Ovechkin to the 3rd line a couple seasons back. Keep in mind the Rangers are paying Hank a lot more money than they're paying Cam.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm no Ranger fan, but if this happened to my team I would sort of be concerned. It would be the equivalent of some no name AHLer coming out of nowhere to outshine Sid & Geno on a nightly basis. Would really make my head spin.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, but if even I am willing to admit Cam Talbot deserves to start over Hank right now, then it's not a surprise AV realizes it. I just wonder if he'll get fired for this like Bruce Broudeau & Dale Hunter did did for demoting Ovechkin to the 3rd line a couple seasons back. Keep in mind the Rangers are paying Hank a lot more money than they're paying Cam.

True, This is going to get quite interesting