• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My draft grade

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If I was simply told going into this draft that our first three picks would be DE, CB & OG in some order, I would have been thrilled without even knowing the names. Other than OLB these were the biggest needs going into the draft. However, these are high risk, high reward choices. Even Warford, while a pretty safe pick, was not as safe as Barrett Jones. But we shot for the moon. We didn't play it safe with a Dee Milliner, Tank Carradine, Barrett Jones draft. But I like that we took a chance with Ansah, Slay & Warford. If it pays off it's going to pay off big time.

Day 3 of the draft was a mixed bag for me. I hated the fact that OLB was not addressed AT ALL this entire offseason. Not in free agency. Not in the draft. I wonder if Mayhew & Schwartz realize that Levy/Palmer is by far the worst starting OLB duo in the entire NFL. And there is zero depth behind them.

I know we can't fix everything at once. But I think there was a missed opportunity in the 4th round, and even the 5th round to do something at OLB.

I would have traded up to get Greene from Rutgers in the first round. He would have started from Day 1 at OLB for us. Or at the very least, instead of trading down to get a punter I would have used the high 5th round selection on OLB.

However, the DE from South Carolina has nice upside. Yet another raw athlete, but the extra depth at DE will be nice.

Seems like the Lions were set on getting their punter in Round 5 no matter what. They had their sights set on 2 different punters, not sure if they got their favorite, but at least they traded down to get an extra pick in the process. He better be a special punter because these guys are all over the place in free agency. Seemed like an odd pick for a team without any good OLB's.

They used the extra pick from Seattle on a WR, which is fine. I'm glad they waited until the 6th round this time to take a WR. By then there were no good OLB left, so I'm glad we went WR. The odds of a 2nd round & a 6th round WR having any impact is about the same. So, looks like the Lions are finally learning. Only thing I disagreed with is the player choice. Ryan Swope is who I would have loved at that spot in the 6th round. He was a steal!! I really don't know why none of the GM's fell in love with Swope's game. They must not have watched him play and just noticed his skin color. He's awesome!! And he's proven!! He's would have been a sure thing to make the team and contribute and probably start. Instead we took YET ANOTHER raw athlete with very little experience and college production. I never even heard of the kid from Virginia Tech. I like his size and potential, but that's all I can say.

I did like the RB choice. A lot. I think Reddick will give us a nice versatile RB foursome - Bush, Leshoure, Reddick & Bell. I like it!!

I also like the TE choice. At that point in the draft it's a total crapshoot. But I think the Lions know what they got in the Bama TE. He can't run. But we won't need him to. He's simply a great 3rd TE option in goal line situations either as a receiver or a blocker. He's a tremendous blocker so when he's on the field it will be like having a 6th OL.

I think 8 of the 9 draft picks have a shot to make the team. Maybe even the final pick as a special team guy. That's pretty good I guess.

I just really hope Reiff surprises and shows that he is capable of being our franchise LT. And I hope Hilliard does the same at RT.

That way we can use our TOP THREE DRAFT PICKS NEXT YEAR ALL ON LB'S!!!!!!!!

My goodness our LB's are going to kill us this year. I like a lot of what we did this offseason. But I would be shocked if we made the playoffs this year with the LB's we have. That's okay. We prob weren't going to make the playoffs this year no matter what we did. The NFC is LOADED!!!! But if we address LB next year I think our future could be bright. I said we couldn't fix everything at once. And that's true. That's what I'm reminding myself so I don't get too upset about the OLB position.

Overall - solid draft with the potential to be a great draft.

B+

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Once again, I meant 4th round when saying I wished we traded up to get Greene.