• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MSN's 9 Super Bowl records that could get broken tomorrow.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most interceptions by both teams in a game (6)

It’s happened twice before (most recently in 2003, when Oakland Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon threw a record five), and this says more about the caliber of each team’s defense than the participating signal-callers. New England and Seattle rank ninth and 12th, respectively in opponent interceptions thrown percentage, so the chance for numerous turnovers through the air is quite high.

Most games lost by a franchise (5)

loss would give the Patriots a 3-5 record in Super Bowls, dropping them into a tie for most defeats with the 2-5 Broncos. On the one hand, New England is not playing the New York Giants, so you’d think it would have a good shot at winning the game. On the other, Seattle is going to be gunning to become the first back-to-back Super Bowl winner since … New England some 10 years ago.

Most games coached (6) and played (6)

Here’s the good news for Bill Belichick and Tom Brady: They get to tie the records for most Super Bowls coached (Don Shula) and played (Mike Lodish, pictured making a stop) merely by showing up Sunday. (A win for the Pats would tie Belichick with late Steelers coach Chuck Noll for most wins, with four.) The caveat, though, is that everything has been so harebrained and weird leading up to this game that almost nothing that happens beforehand would surprise us at this point.

Most safeties in a game (1)

Call this one a crazy hunch, because there have been only eight safeties in Super Bowl history – including one last season -- but something weird is going to happen in this game and it might involve a blocked punt (both teams ranked in the top 10 this season in blocked punt percentage) or some other kooky event. Blessed are the opportunistic, for they shall smother the QB in the end zone for a crucial two points.

Longest field goal (54 yards)

That’s it? A measly 54 yards? (By Buffalo’s Steve Christie in Super Bowl XXVIII.) This seems like one whose time has surely come. Seattle’s Steven Hauschka (who grew up a Pats fan in Needham, Mass.) has hit from 58 this season, and New England’s Stephen Gostkowski has made it from 54 before. Given the warm, dry and calm weather forecast, kicking conditions will be impeccable.

Most receptions by one player in a game (11)

It’s happened four times, and this one is aimed squarely at New England. Julian Edelman and Rob Gronkowski have received a combined 53.5 percent of Tom Brady’s pass targets during these playoffs, and if the Pats want to use Gronkowski as some kind of decoy in the middle, that would leave all signs pointing to a monster day for Edelman, who already has 17 catches in two postseason games. Oh, and the last two players to tie this mark were Patriots (Wes Welker and Deion Branch).

Most firsts down by both teams (50)

During the regular season, Seattle and New England combined for about 43 first downs per game. And considering both teams were in the top 8 in third-down conversions this year, they’re quite adept at moving the chains when it’s especially important. 49ers-Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX and Titans Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV hold the current record.

Most fumbles by one team (8)

Hey, it all depends on how those balls are inflated. At least, that’s my understanding. Maybe it was errant PSI that caused the Bills to lose the grip eight times in Super Bowl XXVII.

Super Bowl records were meant to fall -- 9 that could Sunday

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most interceptions by both teams in a game (6) - I think it is a long shot. With the 2 DB corps, I guess it is possible, but I just don't see Brady or Wilson throwing that many, nor coaches allowing it.

Most games lost by a franchise (5) - I picked the Pats to win, but it wouldn't surprise me if they lost.

Most games coached (6) and played (6) - Who knows with the NFL now a days. They could say Belichick and Brady are suspended tomorrow due to Deflategate and records not tied.

Most safeties in a game (1) - Maybe. Both have alright punters. Seahawks is one of the best at inside 20.

Longest field goal (54 yards) - I would guess this is 2nd most likely to be broken (# of games coached and played can only be tied tomorrow). Not an easy kick though.

Most receptions by one player in a game (11) - This is the only one of these records I expect to be broken tomorrow.

Most firsts down by both teams (50) - I don't think so. These are some good defenses. I would actually be surprised if this gets broken.

Most fumbles by one team (8) - I understand this is a joke to Deflategate. Would be funny if it was the only one to be broken.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most Likely............Longest FG

I don't see many interceptions in this game. Certainly less than 6 combined.

I like #2, most losses by a franchise, bring on the 6th, please............Go Hawks.

#3 is just dumb.

Longest FG and Most Franchise Losses. Those will be broken tomorrow.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....Every SB record is achievable...

End of thread

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm DT had 13 catches in last year's SB...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver already has 5 losses so it cant be broken:suds:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible records that will be broken IMO:

- Largest set of tits to ever set foot on the field during a game.
- Most Bob Saget yogurt commercials.
- Most uses of the word "balls" by announcers during the game.
- Most Skittles consumed on the sideline.
- Most reach-arounds received in the NFL commissioner's private luxury box.

Quentin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that New England sets the record for most Super Bowl losses

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At halftime

Most interceptions by both teams (6) - just 1

Most games lost by a franchise (5)

Most games coached (6) and played (6) - Obviously reached for both

Most safeties in a game (1) - No threat of safeties

Longest field goal (54 yards)

Most receptions by one player in a game (11) - Vereen leads the game with 7 receptions, Danny Amendola has 4 receptions

Most firsts down by both teams (50) - NE has 14, SEA has 9

Most fumbles by one team (8) - No fumbles

Last edited by a moderator:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most interceptions by both teams in a game (6) - 3 interceptions

Most games lost by a franchise (5) - Maybe next year

Most games coached (6) and played (6) - Yeah

Most safeties in a game (1) - Nope

Longest field goal (54 yards) - Only 1 FG kicked (27 yards)

Most receptions by one player in a game (11) - Vereen had 11, Edelman had 9. Tom Brady threw 37 receptions which is a SB record.

Most firsts down by both teams (50) - 44 - NE 25, SEA 19

Most fumbles by one team (8) - none