• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Homestand: April 26th - May 1st

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Winning 8-1 is the same as winning 2-1.

Being dead last in many offensive stats doesn't mean they automatically can't make the post season and I doubt anyone is saying that.

It's just frustration over the continued year after year same issues. They aren't seeing many fast balls because as a team they can't hit breaking balls and lead the league in striking out on them. And they do not appear to be addressing it. They don't go after the big bats and do not appear to be coaching their way out of this.

For those old enough to remember, what would Lou have done with a lineup that collectively cannot handle breaking pitches?

I don't get how any fan can see the 40+ years of fan frustration and not understand how many need to see change to be as optimistic as they are.

Be as up and excited as you can. I envy it, but I cannot share it. Too many years of the same thing producing the same shortfall results to blindly give the benefit of the doubt that this year it will be magically different somehow.

But I of course hope it does end up different somehow. I want another 2001 type of summer or a squeak your way into the WS lucky break. Badly.

I won't lie I am an optimistic person, in my books when I judge Dipoto I see it as only being able to judge him since 2022. He took over in 2016 when Jack Z got fired and this team was no prospects and old under performing players on awful contracts. His first draft pick Kyle Lewis when he was called up was doing great and won the rookie of the year award and Evan White was on his way to being awesome. its unfortunate that Lewis destroyed his knee and White destroyed his hip otherwise I think the makeup of this team lineup would be different. Other than that Logan Gilbert and George Kirby look like All stars and when Julio Rodriguez was called up in 2022 he became a straight up super star, even guys drafted in the later rounds like Bryce Miller and Woo have been great. We made the playoffs and won a series inches away from the WS. There is no perfect GM in the league, bad trades and signings will happen but this team is built to win games. Unless we finish the season below .500 I believe JD has done a fantastic job.

I could never tell another person how to feel but still feeing raw about how bad things were all those years and not having a lineup with a payroll equivalent to the Yankees is toxic for your mental well being.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your offense is so anemic like the Mariners is and you consistently find yourself trailing 1-0 or 2-1 late in games you're gonna end up winning a few of them. The problem is how often they find themselves in that position in the first place.

I mean we won a lot more than a few of them lately. I am perfectly fine with winning quite a few of them if that's how its going to be I will take it.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Polanco acquisition was a mistake. We all knew it when it happened. He won't work out. But they will ride him another couple months before they give up.
Haniger's career year is in the rearview mirror. The most we can hope from him, IF he stays healthy all year, is 25 HR/75 RBI
JRod is ridiculously over-aggressive right now. If and when this stops is anyone's guess, but his current approach is not working. I mean, he can probably hit .270 with his current approach but that is because he swings so hard that he is muscleing ground balls pass the middle infielders which inflates his BABIP. But it won't produce power and RBI.
Garver is with a new team, new role as a full time DH, and new pressure of a 'somewhat' big contract. He'll hit eventually. He always has when injury hasn't held him back.
Raley is just a fucking joke mirage. He hasn't done shit since July first of last year. 220 ABs, 78 strikeouts, .214 BA, 6 HR, 21 RBI. After a hot start last year, MLB pitchers have found the hole in his swing and he has failed to make a counter adjustment.
Raleigh, Crawford, France - expect about the same production overall as last year. Maybe not quite as much from Crawford, maybe a little more from France.
Rojas - the wild card. Based on his history, I don't see how he can sustain what he has been doing. But, who knows.
Urias - see Polanco
Clase - don't know why they sent him down. They will ultimately DFA Raley anyway so why not give the kid playing time now.

I agree that the lineup isn't performing I will say for Polanco that he really is just a stop gap this year until Cole Young gets called up. But still so early into the season for them to turn things around. They don't have to be all stars just some progress at the plate and whoever doesn't then changes will be made. The most important thing is where we are in the standings if we are still in first place, above .500 I wouldn't touch anything to the roster.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more than fair to look at the totality of Dipoto's full career in the front office. He has one team in one season that was a playoff contender.

He can build a farm system. He has brought up talent.

He also isn't good at trades or free agency.

Name any batter they have acquired that improved while here over where they came from. Hell, Julio was pretty solid his rookie year and has been sliding every since.

Whatever their batting approach is collectively as an organization isn't working and shows no signs of improving.

Several players have left here and improved at their next stop. It's more than a trend.

They can manage pitching and that's it.

They don't need the payroll of the Yankees. I can give you a long list of the players they have picked up that were garbage. If you can get players for less that aren't horrible then great. Otherwise filling in a couple of key spots with a little higher quality would go a long way in improving the team.

Julio needs a mentor since we don't have a hitting coach worth a damn.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Circling Seattle Sports

@CirclingSports

INBOX:
@Mariners
have announced that Brad Smith and Kathy Surace-Smith have joined the teams ownership group, just the third new partners since July of 1992.Brad Smith has spent the past 30-plus years at Microsoft, while Kathy Surace-Smith is Senior Vice President at NanoString Technologies.Story to come.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm...

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
·
1h

Mike Ford has opted out of his contract with Reds. The Reds have a couple days to decide whether to add or release him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners win series at least.
So..
And Hancock...now .
Considered...not.so bad..

Lololoo..
Murphy 2...
Will...send..12s...crazy...
I predict..
Good luck .
Seahawks..
Nice work....for o-line..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like.the...end.of..my..
Rotation..frayed..

Like a delta.of a river...

Mississippi..delta..

And so do the..mariners..
Lololo

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas..A&m..#1..
Collage baseball ..
Good..pitching..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more.predict...

Pritchett
And..
D.j. James..

Both..from auburn..
Are just what..the secondary..needed...

So they had a good .draft..
Yeah..they did .
Lolololo..

Next .year..d-line .for sure..
Qb..prob not..
Mlbers..prob..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schneider hits a grand .
Salami..

Lololo..
Yep..nice..

And with..mr Howell..

Lovey .
Lol8loloo

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves 1,mariners 0..
Top o..3..

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haniger with a RISP Fail...

are we surprised?

Yeah, it's clear the higher-ups don't want us to do any more sweeping...This one's as good as Atlanta's.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get Haniger out of the outfield!!!! Another run on his tab.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-0 Atlanta now...Hancock is just no good when it comes to getting the third out.

Yeah, this one's over.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-0 Atlanta now...Hancock is just no good when it comes to getting the third out.

Yeah, this one's over.
The third out (would have been 2nd) was on Haniger. Catch the flippen ball.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I repeat! Get! Haniger! Out! Of! The! Outfield!!!!