• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Money has gone fast!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uribe = $7.5 million
Wilson = $10 million
Haren = $10 million

So $27.5 million is gone like that. I am not all entirely against it.

I am scared that we will feel we are done after signing a couple of bullpen arms. The rotation is still shakey given the massive question marks with health for Bills, Beckett and Haren. Haren appears to be fine, but I have no faith in Bills and Beckett at this point. I still think we need the following:

Tanaka = 3rd or 4th starter
2 bullpen arms
1 utility infielder

I think that would be a good offseason. No need to trade for Price or trade Kemp.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of solid bullpen arms available....plus we have kids that can throw out of the pen.

Tanaka is not getting posted... let that go. I think we could go after another low end guy to throw in the mix with Beckett and Billingsley. Someone like Paul Maholm or Phil Hughes.

As for utlity IF, I read Michael Young wants to come back for 1 year. Sign him, very versatile. Also looking at the list of options, I say look at someone like Ramon Santiago or Cesar Izturis... both speedy, gritty versatile guys...

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers have plenty of money and they'll need it to extend Kershaw and Ramirez.

Dodgers need a middle reliever (Jamie Wright) and another LHRP (J.P. Howell).

Dodgers need to fill out the bench. I'd like the Dodgers to check out Jeff Baker. The guy destroys LHP.

I'd pass on Hughes. Maholm might be a 5th Starter candidate, but he doesn't excite me much.

I'm sure Kasten and company have some moves in mind.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
110505_dollar_money_605_ap.jpg

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, worried about the payroll.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of solid bullpen arms available....plus we have kids that can throw out of the pen.

Tanaka is not getting posted... let that go. I think we could go after another low end guy to throw in the mix with Beckett and Billingsley. Someone like Paul Maholm or Phil Hughes.

As for utlity IF, I read Michael Young wants to come back for 1 year. Sign him, very versatile. Also looking at the list of options, I say look at someone like Ramon Santiago or Cesar Izturis... both speedy, gritty versatile guys...

Nope, Tanaka is now available:

Y! SPORTS

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, worried about the payroll.

I am not worried about the payroll but I don't want to try to buy the World Series either. With Tanaka becoming available, he must be the next signing. Kershaw must be extended as well of course.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not worried about the payroll but I don't want to try to buy the World Series either. With Tanaka becoming available, he must be the next signing. Kershaw must be extended as well of course.

In this day and age it doesn't matter how a team wins the WS. Buying one or not, it's still a WS win.

I hope Tanaka is available as you suggest. If the Dodgers landed him they would be real hard to beat.

Dodgers are signing J.P. Howell to a very reasonable deal. Excellent signing.

Now we need Jamey Wright to sign, possibly one more BP arm, and a bench player or two.

Things are shaping up.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ummmmmm.... what? You wouldn't want to buy a World Series? What do you think these teams are paying their players to do?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmmmm.... what? You wouldn't want to buy a World Series? What do you think these teams are paying their players to do?

I would rather build through the Farm System like the team that beat us, the Cards. I would rather field a team like the Cardinals rather than the Yankees. We are clearly taking the Yankees approach. We have no choice at this point given the poor drafting under McCourt, I was just saying its my preference to not out spend all other teams.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather build through the Farm System like the team that beat us, the Cards. I would rather field a team like the Cardinals rather than the Yankees. We are clearly taking the Yankees approach. We have no choice at this point given the poor drafting under McCourt, I was just saying its my preference to not out spend all other teams.

Signing free agents in the way that the Dodgers have is a clear indication that this club is trying to contend now while building for the future. Having this huge, overpriced payroll means that minor league talent gets to develop. Young, promising players aren't traded away when things are done this way.

The big trades that were made did not cost much in terms of prospects - the Dodgers took on bloated salary players in order to trade less away in terms of minor league talent. Look at the Nolasco trade - all the Dodgers sent were relief pitchers. The players that were sent to Boston were probably the best in terms of talent, but look at them now. Jerry Sands just got DFA'd by the Pirates. Josh Lindblom (Victorino trade with Philly) was cut from the Texas Rangers.

I'd say it's important to look at the big picture, and to understand that this team is trying to have it both ways - win now and build for the future through the development of young players.

If you go back to what Kasten first said when he came aboard, this team has followed the plans to a T. This is what he said they'd do in his first press conference at Dodger Stadium:

1. Improve fan experience (lowered parking fees, upgrades to the Stadium, fan outreatch programs)
2. Improve the club for today - contend now (Made the NLCS in second full season, winning record both years. Missed WC2 by one game in 2012)
3. Improve the minor league system (the only notable talent that has been traded were Rubby De La Rosa who was injured, and Allen Webster who hasn't done much)
4. Expand International scouting and player development (see: Yasiel Puig, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Onelki Garcia, Julio Urias, Alex Guerrero, Jose Dominguez, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator: