• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock Draft w/ A.S.potential trade

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The second 3rd rounder would be a 2014 pick. That was the scenario brought up by the guy who started the thread.

rather we not trade our 2014 3rd rounder, under this scenario i'd trade the Lattimore pick instead.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Desmond Trufant is going to be around in the second round. No need to move up in the first to get him. Get him early in the second though by trading a 3rd and our 2nd

so in essence, you would be trading the exact same thing I was suggesting, outside of the 3rd next year to hope the player would be there several picks later?

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
rather we not trade our 2014 3rd rounder, under this scenario i'd trade the Lattimore pick instead.

so, two third round picks and a second round pick in this years draft?

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Oh and I hope Detone Jones is not our first round pick.

I don't think we have to worry about that. He's not in the draft.

ohhh.. you mean Datone Jones... What are your opinions on him and why don't you want him to be our first round pick? Would you consider him in the second round if he was available?

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also, I would prefer to have Johnathan Banks, but I don't believe he would still be available at 28.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our 2nd rounder is at #31 in the second(63ovr), so imo it would be too much to give up 63 ovr AND 65 over AND a 3rd next year. I think NE would be up for doing however the 63 ovr, 75-78ovr(whatever carolina ends up being), and our 3rd next year.

That is wrong. They are drafting 61st overall 29th in the second. 2 teams lost their second round pick. Browns to the sup draft and the Saints had one forfeited for bounty scandal.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so, two third round picks and a second round pick in this years draft?

if this class is more depth than top end, we should be ok with three to four picks within 3 rounds? any more and we REALLY increase the odds of losing rookies? or we end up cutting a decent vet?

there are players we want EVERY year, so i'd want that 3rd in 2014.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if there is a QB or pass rusher they REALLY want, i'd try to move up in the 1st? "easier said than done" and this isn't a likely scenario. if there were one of these guys, we couldn't trade high enough.

earlier i read an article saying this class is weak the top, but full of depth? if so, then consider moving up a 3rd into the 2nd round? use the extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th if necessary?

if we end up standing pat (no decent trades available), then look to trade our 4th, 5th, and 6th into 2014.

First, there's not. Second, we just saw our starting QB get off to arguably the best start any QB has had in the history of the league, and you want to use a first round pick on the position? What in the world for? To ride the pine behind Kap?

Not to mention that in the span of six years our current coach has turned a nobody at a minor college program into an NFL player, a good college player into the consensus #1 pick in the NFL draft, a widely regarded bust into a solid NFL starter, and a talented player from a gimmick system into a guy who led his team into the super bowl. Seems like he might be able to find a tolerable backup.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there is a QB or pass rusher they REALLY want, i'd try to move up in the 1st? "easier said than done" and this isn't a likely scenario. if there were one of these guys, we couldn't trade high enough.

earlier i read an article saying this class is weak the top, but full of depth? if so, then consider moving up a 3rd into the 2nd round? use the extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th if necessary?

if we end up standing pat (no decent trades available), then look to trade our 4th, 5th, and 6th into 2014.

First, there's not. Second, we just saw our starting QB get off to arguably the best start any QB has had in the history of the league, and you want to use a first round pick on the position? What in the world for? To ride the pine behind Kap?

Not to mention that in the span of six years our current coach has turned a nobody at a minor college program into an NFL player, a good college player into the consensus #1 pick in the NFL draft, a widely regarded bust into a solid NFL starter, and a talented player from a gimmick system into a guy who led his team into the super bowl. Seems like he might be able to find a tolerable backup.

Yeah, not sure where Deep is going with his idea but this post covers my initial response to it as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
where i'm going with this?

to remind us we shouldn't overlook the QB position, no guarantee Kap is the guy for the next 10 years. if you see a franchise QB and he can be had (late 1st), you draft him. you can just think i have Kap so totally forget QB. Kap could get hurt or later on, he might be difficult to re-sign.

if Harbaugh thought there was another "Kap", but no one else sees it like him, would you pass?

but if there isn't one, then this shouldn't be an issue.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

to remind us we shouldn't overlook the QB position, no guarantee Kap is the guy for the next 10 years. if you see a franchise QB and he can be had (late 1st), you draft him. you can just think i have Kap so totally forget QB. Kap could get hurt or later on, he might be difficult to re-sign.

if Harbaugh thought there was another "Kap", but no one else sees it like him, would you pass?

If there is a franchise QB to be had you do what the Rams did and you sell the pick to the highest bidder.

There is no guarantee that CK is the guy the next 10 years but there is even less guarantee that a QB taken in the 1st round is. At least with Kap there is a high quality body of NFL work to go on.

What you do is draft a raw talented QB in the later rounds, try to develop him, and if you're successful you can flip that 5th or 6th round investment into a 2nd round one.

Also our window is open right now. Granted you don't throw away the future for the sake of the present but you do need to lean more on being proactive in winning today not building for a future of maybes.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

There's never a guarantee that a guy is "the guy" for the next 10 years. Should any team with a franchise QB burn its first pick - or more, as you've suggested trading up - on another QB? Should the Pats have been taking QBs with high picks for the last decade? Should Indy? That's just silly.

Furthermore, your entire premise that Harbaugh should take another Kap seems to suggest that Kap has more or less arrived.

Since we're living in hypothetical world here, what would you do if Harbaugh thought that there was a "Kap" type of guy available at 20, Deep? Would you trade our first and second round picks for him?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If there is a franchise QB to be had you do what the Rams did and you sell the pick to the highest bidder.

There is no guarantee that CK is the guy the next 10 years but there is even less guarantee that a QB taken in the 1st round is. At least with Kap there is a high quality body of NFL work to go on.

What you do is draft a raw talented QB in the later rounds, try to develop him, and if you're successful you can flip that 5th or 6th round investment into a 2nd round one.

Also our window is open right now. Granted you don't throw away the future for the sake of the present but you do need to lean more on being proactive in winning today not building for a future of maybes.

Totally agree with the first bolded section.

And Deep was arguing the sentiment that you state in the second bolded section last week. It would seem he's changed his mind?

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
my thread got hijacked!!!

lol, jk.... always time to have the franchise qb question. I think that right now we are in an enviable position. We have an incredible talented player with an NFL arm. Are there certain aspects that other prospects may always have on him? possibly. But there are going to be things that he always has on other players. I think that we have a player that can lead us for an extended period of time(7-10years) and can take us with Harbaugh, Roman, and Chryst to where we can go.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The question then becomes what if we see another F-QB in the '14 draft and another one the '15 draft and so on? Do we just keep drafting them? When do we stop?

So, I guess my answer to your question is no. No, I wouldn't draft a QB in the 1st, or for that matter the 2nd and probably not the 3rd or 4th either. I'm certain Harbaugh can find an adequate back-up QB in the late rounds.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

u better watch your mouth! :lol:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's never a guarantee that a guy is "the guy" for the next 10 years. Should any team with a franchise QB burn its first pick - or more, as you've suggested trading up - on another QB? Should the Pats have been taking QBs with high picks for the last decade? Should Indy? That's just silly.

Furthermore, your entire premise that Harbaugh should take another Kap seems to suggest that Kap has more or less arrived.

Since we're living in hypothetical world here, what would you do if Harbaugh thought that there was a "Kap" type of guy available at 20, Deep? Would you trade our first and second round picks for him?

Any thoughts, Deep?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The difficulty with flipping a QB for a 2nd round pick is usually that QB has to show he can play in regular season NFL games with real bullets flying. Or at least play in a few regular season games and play well to create the illusion that the QB is good.

Kolb, Cassel, Flynn all fall into category and then the team trading for the QB usually gets fleeced.