• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB All Star Salary Cap Draft: CHAT

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@UK Cowboy

I don't know the old time players as well as most of you guys, but I do know stats.

Batting average is the most overrated stat in the game. It is almost meaningless.

Which player is helping his team more:

player A: .250 BA and .400 OBP
Player B: .330 BA and .360 OBP

These are extreme examples, but a power hitter who strikes out a lot walks almost as much is quite valuable. Big Mac may have had 1596 K's, but he also had 1317 walks and 583 HRs in just over 6,000 ABs
He was a productive hitter to be sure, but this isn't the MLB draft of 1998, this is a mock where every 1B who has ever played is available, and there are only 11 teams, meaning 11 starters, so your extreme example doesn't really apply. The fact is, for the purpose of this mock, Mac will probably have the worst starting average of any starting 1B, and almost all of them will be power hitters as well. I also think you are seriously undervaluing average/contact hitting vs a low average/high strikeout hitter. It is in the nuances of the game, the unwritten stats(hidden yards if you will), but while the guy who strikes out a lot and has a lower average/high on base does help the team when he walks, the higher average player is also helping the team more by advancing runners, allowing the manager to hit an run(which you wouldn't do with a swing and miss guy), etc.

Add to that, the fact that in these mocks, the hitters won't be going against the #3, #4 and #5 pitchers they went against 60% of the time during their careers, but are facing not only aces every time, but in some cases all time aces, and that high strikeout/low average/high on base player is not much help at all, because the top pitchers aren't going to walk anyone nearly as much, and his strikeouts are going to go way up, so your .250/.400 example is likely a .220/.330 high strikeout hitter in this mock

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so I deleted all the chats in Pick Thread. That took 2hrs thanks jerks. Now where is Bolts?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babe Ruth, but I will only pay $13 for him

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a productive hitter to be sure, but this isn't the MLB draft of 1998, this is a mock where every 1B who has ever played is available, and there are only 11 teams, meaning 11 starters, so your extreme example doesn't really apply. The fact is, for the purpose of this mock, Mac will probably have the worst starting average of any starting 1B, and almost all of them will be power hitters as well. I also think you are seriously undervaluing average/contact hitting vs a low average/high strikeout hitter. It is in the nuances of the game, the unwritten stats(hidden yards if you will), but while the guy who strikes out a lot and has a lower average/high on base does help the team when he walks, the higher average player is also helping the team more by advancing runners, allowing the manager to hit an run(which you wouldn't do with a swing and miss guy), etc.

Add to that, the fact that in these mocks, the hitters won't be going against the #3, #4 and #5 pitchers they went against 60% of the time during their careers, but are facing not only aces every time, but in some cases all time aces, and that high strikeout/low average/high on base player is not much help at all, because the top pitchers aren't going to walk anyone nearly as much, and his strikeouts are going to go way up, so your .250/.400 example is likely a .220/.330 high strikeout hitter in this mock

I generally disagree with you about everything... Including how awesome of a poster Milk is, I have always claimed him to be milktastic, while you think he is sour milk...
But power is a huge thing, he is the definition of power... I see him to be a #5 hitter for these mocks, and there aren't many I would rather have than him... Plus he was cheap-ish...

Basically I am trying to say screw you UK, I hate you and I think you smell horrible... Plus, you really have to stop stealing my bike...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Rickey Henderson did not go in the first round, I really thought he would fall to me... I am now crying that he didn't... Milk really wanted Rickey, MIlk would have been amazing if Milk got Rickey...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know why I am terrible at gambling? because I will bet a BUNCH of fake money without looking at who is pitching. Like 1100 against pissed of Chris Sale........

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know why I am terrible at gambling? because I will bet a BUNCH of fake money without looking at who is pitching. Like 1100 against pissed of Chris Sale........

At least it's fake...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Rickey Henderson did not go in the first round, I really thought he would fall to me... I am now crying that he didn't... Milk really wanted Rickey, MIlk would have been amazing if Milk got Rickey...

I was debating taking him and Idk why I thought he would come back to me. I tried to go sorta cheap in the 1st two rounds for some reason.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally disagree with you about everything... Including how awesome of a poster Milk is, I have always claimed him to be milktastic, while you think he is sour milk...
But power is a huge thing, he is the definition of power... I see him to be a #5 hitter for these mocks, and there aren't many I would rather have than him... Plus he was cheap-ish...

Basically I am trying to say screw you UK, I hate you and I think you smell horrible... Plus, you really have to stop stealing my bike...
Thing is, I agree with you, in this mock he is a solid 5-6 hitter. My comments came because instead of posting his name, Lance and then Nos, Macs former agent, started listing his resume. He was a great power hitter, but not a top 5 1B starter in this, so middle of the road

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give you $50 for Babe

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree.

The fact that McGwire had almost as many walks as strikeouts says that he is a very patient hitter with as much power as anybody who has ever played. You are basically saying he will put up Adam Dunn numbers, which is foolish.

There are many great 1B bats, but McGwire is among the very best and he costs less than those possibly ranked ahead of him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will trade someone my 6th rounder AND 15 units for their 2nd round pick

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

The fact that McGwire had almost as many walks as strikeouts says that he is a very patient hitter with as much power as anybody who has ever played. You are basically saying he will put up Adam Dunn numbers, which is foolish.

There are many great 1B bats, but McGwire is among the very best and he costs less than those possibly ranked ahead of him.
Not debating he was great. Just saying that of 11 starting 1B, he isn't top 5. As to Adam Dunn numbers, look at it this way....if a .260 hitter today suddenly faced nothing but Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Jake Arrieta and Stephen Strasberg, then started over with Kershaw, he ain't hitting .260 anymore, he's striking out even more, and walking less. So yeah, Adam Dunn #'. Patience doesn't help if the are throwing strikes

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not?? I just assumed we could since we did last draft and it wasn't listed in the rules post...

I'm pretty sure Nos said we aren't..too complicated bc I tried to switch draft spots with Ritz using cap space.

I would do that trade but for my 3rd rounder and I would take less cash but oh well lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Bonds should have been more money...and Clemens. Like $30

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will trade $5 to allow us to trade money

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should be able to and I don't think it will be too complicated.