• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Misc. preseason observations

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He did not trust our O-line...Haas is no dummy.

He did not want to compete with anyone to be the starter and he knew that the 49ers were bringing Alex back. The Titans were getting rid of Young and Collins was gone so he knew he had a better shot to start there.
They also gave him more money then the 49ers were willing to give him.
Those things combined with the O-line situation and coaching cleared the way for him to be a Titan.

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ponder's problem is that he's only able to throw dink & dunk stuff. A "good" game for him was 5.18 YPA.

Newton's
had the same problem because his intermediate & long range accuracy have been horrid so far.

We run the so-called West Coast offense. Which you obviously know requires 5.18 YPA and not much more. It's all about the YAK which is why Mc Nob is going to fit in here until ponder is ready. Ps. I didn't realize how fast the kid was.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We run the so-called West Coast offense. Which you obviously know requires 5.18 YPA and not much more. It's all about the YAK which is why Mc Nob is going to fit in here until ponder is ready. Ps. I didn't realize how fast the kid was.

It requires more than 5.18 ypa. And YAC is included in YPA. The key to the WCO is the QB getting the ball to the WR in a position to gain YAC.

In years where Montana attempted more than 25 passes he never averaged less than 6.6 YPA.

In his years as a starter in SF, excluding his last year (84 attempts) Steve Young never averaged less than 7.2 YPA.

Now, you are probably thinking to yourself that Montana and Young are two of the best to ever play. So lets look at Jeff Garcia.

Garcia, in his years in SF, never averaged less than 6.3 YPA, despite those being some atrocious team.

5.18 will not cut it in a WCO.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It requires more than 5.18 ypa. And YAC is included in YPA. The key to the WCO is the QB getting the ball to the WR in a position to gain YAC.

In years where Montana attempted more than 25 passes he never averaged less than 6.6 YPA.

In his years as a starter in SF, excluding his last year (84 attempts) Steve Young never averaged less than 7.2 YPA.

Now, you are probably thinking to yourself that Montana and Young are two of the best to ever play. So lets look at Jeff Garcia.

Garcia, in his years in SF, never averaged less than 6.3 YPA, despite those being some atrocious team.

5.18 will not cut it in a WCO.

I can't think of any offense where 5.18 YPA will cut it?

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walsh drew up the offense around backup Virgil Carter, a quarterback with an accurate but limited arm. So instead of going vertical, Walsh went horizontal with a lot of short routes, plays designed to stretch the defense from sideline to sideline. He forced linebackers and safeties to cover more area and then exploited them.
Virgil R. Carter Only had 6.45 YPA

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Walsh drew up the offense around backup Virgil Carter, a quarterback with an accurate but limited arm. So instead of going vertical, Walsh went horizontal with a lot of short routes, plays designed to stretch the defense from sideline to sideline. He forced linebackers and safeties to cover more area and then exploited them.
Virgil R. Carter Only had 6.45 YPA

6.45 is significantly better than 5.18. You said 5.18 is all one needs for a WCO.

Find a QB who was successful in any version of the WCO with a 5.18 YPA over a season.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did not want to compete with anyone to be the starter and he knew that the 49ers were bringing Alex back. The Titans were getting rid of Young and Collins was gone so he knew he had a better shot to start there.
Those things combined with the O-line situation and coaching cleared the way for him to be a Titan.

And how did you come upon this?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how did you come upon this?

Because the notion that he didn't want to play in SF just because of our OL makes no sense. It's not as simple as you and others are making it seem.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the notion that he didn't want to play in SF just because of our OL makes no sense. It's not as simple as you and others are making it seem.

Maybe not...but if you're Haas and are fragile and see our swiss cheese O-line and you get a similar offer from Tennessee, you don't think that could be the tie breaker?

We both have new HC's, decent RB's, and if anything I'd give our receivers the edge seeing as how Britt might have been headed to jail when he made his decision. Locker's a rookie but no one said he had no shot at starting.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds about right. The O-Line concern was something that mattered to him, but I'm sure not having to compete for the starting job also played an equal part in his decision making process. Oh, and of course the more money.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not...but if you're Haas and are fragile and see our swiss cheese O-line and you get a similar offer from Tennessee, you don't think that could be the tie breaker?

We both have new HC's, decent RB's, and if anything I'd give our receivers the edge seeing as how Britt might have been headed to jail when he made his decision. Locker's a rookie but no one said he had no shot at starting.

It's not like Tennessee's OL is great at pass-blocking, either. I'd be willing to bet that Harbaugh's statements backing Smith as our starting QB had a lot to do with his decision to go to Tennessee. Maybe even contract issues.

The notion that he chose the Titans over the 49ers just because of OL sounds ridiculous.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Below are Hasselbeck's comments. You're right, Clyde, there were other reasons, but the O'line certainly seems, by these comments, to have been one of a main reasons.

This NFL.com story is a reminder that the Niners pursued Matt Hasselbeck, who would have certainly entered the quarterback competition with Smith and Kaepernick.

Hasselbeck said his choice came down to the Titans and the 49ers. He chose Tennessee, in part, because he hit it off Titans coach Mike Munchak and preferred the Titans' offensive line, which allowed 27 sacks last year, tied for the sixth-fewest in the NFL. (The 49ers allowed 44 sacks, tied for 26th).

The ability of a team's offensive line to keep a quarterback intact is a particularly relevant issue for Hasselbeck, 35, who has missed 13 games since 2008 due to a variety of injuries.

"My decision came down to San Francisco or Tennessee," Hasselbeck said. "At the end of the day, that was my decision, and San Fran would have been attractive for a whole bunch of reasons ... but at the end of the day, I think my conversation with (Munchak) and the offensive line here and a lot of stuff ... just felt really good about it.

"To be honest, maybe it was on the rebound and I just got dumped. I got a call from (Munchak). I was just like, 'Oh, man, it feels good to be wanted,' but I think at the end of the day, this was a good opportunity."

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the presumed commitment to Smith was the biggest deterrent for Hasselbeck.

How healthy have Titans QBs stayed behind that OL the last few years? Our OL has been pretty bad, but the Titans haven't been very good either.

All that being said, they only gave up 27 sacks last year (I looked it up after typing the above).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the most PC answer Hasselbeck could've said. I just don't believe that he moved all the way East to play under a defensive minded HC rather than stay West and play under Harbaugh just because he was scared to play behind our OL.

I think Harbaugh's premature commitment to Alex Smith was the biggest factor.