• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor movement

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of hijacking Cal's signing thread, I thought I'd create a new one to track minor league player movement.

1. Max Ramirez was signed after the Astros DFA'd him and is on Fresno's roster. If I were Jackson Williams, I'd be a bit worried.
2. Ishi was put on the Fresno DL with shoulder surgery and is expected to miss most of the rest of the season.
3. Francisco Peguero was moved up from San Jose to Richmond; and James Simmons was dropped from Fresno to San Jose to make room for The Bullet.

Moves probably on the horizon:

a. Duvall and Adrianza from Augusta to San Jose -- they are both hitting well and Flores and Haney are not distinguishing themselves in A+
b. Sanford from Augusta to San Jose -- Reichard is vulnerable
c. Joseph from SJ to Richmond -- Monell is doing ok, so the org may decide to leave Tommy in SJ for the rest of the year.
d. Brown from SJ to Richmond -- Perez or Stromsmoe are vulnerable.
e. Wheeler/Westcott/Heston to AA -- I'd expect at least two of these guys to move up. Surkamp and Tanner have been consistent in Richmond but Fitzgerald, Maday, and Verdugo are all at risk of being demoted.
f. Kieschnick from AA to AAA -- This would open up a spot for Brown, but there may be no room at the inn in Fresno with Eldred, Graham, Neal, and Ford there. Trades will open something up, I suspect.
g. Surkamp and Tanner from AA to AAA -- the Fresno rotation is in flux with Loux, Yorkin, and Banks inconsistent and Runzler being stretched out.
h. Ford, Pill, Gillaspie, Gonzalez and Neal are candidates for Sept callups.
i. Kroon will be called up as soon as another bullpen arm is needed. However, Bochy has really done a tremendous job of managing the bullpen and we have one too many arms with Zito coming back....should be interesting.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice analysis. I also expect Panik and Willoughby to move up the ladder. Both are at ages that allow for some aggressive promotion.

I do not expect anything with Pill or Gonzo. Neither are on the 40-man, and if the Giants thought they could have done anything, they would have been promoted instead of Hall getting brought in.

I HOPE that Kroon gets a call. He REALLY stood by the org by not exercising his escape clause, so I feel the G's OWE him a cup of coffee this year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice analysis. I also expect Panik and Willoughby to move up the ladder. Both are at ages that allow for some aggressive promotion.

I do not expect anything with Pill or Gonzo. Neither are on the 40-man, and if the Giants thought they could have done anything, they would have been promoted instead of Hall getting brought in.

I HOPE that Kroon gets a call. He REALLY stood by the org by not exercising his escape clause, so I feel the G's OWE him a cup of coffee this year.

Great point on the 40 man consideration...I'd forgotten about that. Right now, that's be Runz, Gillaspie, Neal, Edlefsen, Tanner, Hinshaw, and Adrianza.

You follow short season better than I Cal -- if you think Panik is going to be promoted I'm with you. As for Willoughby, he could be promoted, but then they'd have to sit/demote Cavan and I don't see it. Org depth at 2b is interesting right now. Nothing at AAA, Culberson isn't distinguishing himself at AA...maybe they jump Willoughby up to Richmond? Then what do you do with Charlie?

Also, what are you reading/hearing about Chuckie Jones?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point on the 40 man consideration...I'd forgotten about that. Right now, that's be Runz, Gillaspie, Neal, Edlefsen, Tanner, Hinshaw, and Adrianza.

You follow short season better than I Cal -- if you think Panik is going to be promoted I'm with you. As for Willoughby, he could be promoted, but then they'd have to sit/demote Cavan and I don't see it. Org depth at 2b is interesting right now. Nothing at AAA, Culberson isn't distinguishing himself at AA...maybe they jump Willoughby up to Richmond? Then what do you do with Charlie?

Also, what are you reading/hearing about Chuckie Jones?

You are right about 2B depth in the org. That may end up being a defining issue for Panik, actually. Our two best mid inf prospect (sans Panik) are Craw and Adrianza. Past them, however, we have nothing at SS. At 2B, we have Cavan, Culberson, Willoughby, and Noonan. It comes to a point where some guys need to be demoted, not on their own merit, but purely based on circumstances. Panik, Adrianza and Willoughby, IMHO, are the guys we actually care about in the minors. Everyone else gets to fight for scraps to see if they can put their meal together and get invited to the grown-up table.

As for Chuckles, he is a beast. I have yet to read anything about him that is not absolutely glowing. He is still 18, entering his second season in the org. The power has not shown up yet this season, but his first game of the year he reached base 6 times out of 6 PAs. He is a 5-tool guy as well. Don't get too excited, though. He will take AT LEAST 3 years more before he is even in a discussion for a cup of coffee, and a former 1B prospect of ours will tell you that life can throw some curve balls at you in that time frame...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Request:since this would be a season long thread, is it worthy of a sticky?

Would be kinda cool to follow the progress of the future Giants in one thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Request:since this would be a season long thread, is it worthy of a sticky?

Would be kinda cool to follow the progress of the future Giants in one thread

That's a good call...Filo??

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noonan has been playing SS in Richmond. I think they are trying to fill the SS void there and since he has failed to this point, maybe they feel like "why the hell not?"

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A note on Hector Sanchez. Zito complimented on his game calling and receiving skills after his rehad start. I'm starting to think that he may be the guy we call upon to catch.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A note on Hector Sanchez. Zito complimented on his game calling and receiving skills after his rehad start. I'm starting to think that he may be the guy we call upon to catch.

Krukow talked about that. There's a lot that Chez3 has to learn about catching before handling Timmy, Chez, Cain, Bum, and Song -- they all throw pretty hard with movement. He's probably a month or two away from being ready.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The kid is only 21 and can already handle an 85 MHP FB and a curve with no break??

:charlie:

WINNER!!!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Krukow talked about that. There's a lot that Chez3 has to learn about catching before handling Timmy, Chez, Cain, Bum, and Song -- they all throw pretty hard with movement. He's probably a month or two away from being ready.

I'm thinking if they don't find anyone by the deadline, he'll be up by August 10th. I haven't heard much about his defense but there is hope that if Posey could do it, so can Sanchez. He has caught them in Spring Training the last 2 years.

The kid is only 21 and can already handle an 85 MHP FB and a curve with no break??

:charlie:

WINNER!!!

Alright cal, point taken.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aside from pulling a prospect from a game, does moving a prospect up for a few games increase his value any?

can we interpret any promotions as a sign of a deal cooking?

I'd want to see if Belt can have an impact on the ML team. With Franchez decidedly out, would a Runzler for Hardy deal be something to solidify the infield..then say make a move for a mid tier catcher? The guy I like is Kurt Suzuki from the I's..

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
aside from pulling a prospect from a game, does moving a prospect up for a few games increase his value any?

can we interpret any promotions as a sign of a deal cooking?

I'd want to see if Belt can have an impact on the ML team. With Franchez decidedly out, would a Runzler for Hardy deal be something to solidify the infield..then say make a move for a mid tier catcher? The guy I like is Kurt Suzuki from the I's..

The Orioles and JJ Hardy are already discussing a contract extension, so I don't see BMore suddenly changing its collective mind and trading Hardy.

Orioles hoping to sign J.J. Hardy to contract extension before the All-Star break | HardballTalk

As for Suzuki from the I's, that ain't happening either. The top catcher in the I's chain among prospects is a kid named Max Stassi. He's in Single-A Stockton right now and is hitting a lofty .231 thus far. (He is obviously rated for his defensive skills). Dude is years away from even sniffing the majors and the I's are not the type of team to trade a top catcher and then try to replace him via FA.

So while both would be nice additions for the World Champs, neither is likely to wear the French Vanilla any time soon.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post Cam. Also, I was listening to Bobby Evans this weekend and it seems we've got some org depth at catcher now anyway. Sanchez was jumped from SJ to Fresno so that both he and Joseph could play every day. Richmond was skipped b/c they're pleased with Monell's progress there. Among Chez3, Monell and TJ, we have some good talent working its way up to the majors.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good post Cam. Also, I was listening to Bobby Evans this weekend and it seems we've got some org depth at catcher now anyway. Sanchez was jumped from SJ to Fresno so that both he and Joseph could play every day. Richmond was skipped b/c they're pleased with Monell's progress there. Among Chez3, Monell and TJ, we have some good talent working its way up to the majors.

Thanks. Hopefully at least one of the catchers in our system steps up and forces his way onto the team in the next year or two. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Buster Posey will likely stay a lot healthier if he moves out from behind the dish sooner rather than later. But the only way that happens is if the Giants trade for a C or one of the organizational players demands a call-up with his play.

I am definitely hoping for the latter. Right now, Hector Sanchez looks like he could be the guy, so I am now officially a member of the Hector Sanchez fanclub.

Hector Sanchez >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eli Whiteside.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cautiously optimistic with Sanchez. I suspect Susac will force his way into the mix sooner rather than later as well. I thought we might take him in the first round; I was pleasantly surprised that he fell to us in the second.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another tangent, our 2013 lineup could look something like this:

CF Brown
2B Panik
C Posey
3B Panda
1B Belt
LF Neal
RF Peguero
SS Craw

IF: Adrianza, Gillespie, Pill
OF: Nate, Torres
C: Sanchez

SP: Timmy, Cain, Bum, Surkamp, Wheeler
RP: Weez, Romo, RamRam, Edlefsen, Hinshaw, Hembree, Runzler

Odd thought -- not one African American on the squad. Should make Nolan and Marcus happy.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another tangent, our 2013 lineup could look something like this:

CF Brown
2B Panik
C Posey
3B Panda
1B Belt
LF Neal
RF Peguero
SS Craw

IF: Adrianza, Gillespie, Pill
OF: Nate, Torres
C: Sanchez

SP: Timmy, Cain, Bum, Surkamp, Wheeler
RP: Weez, Romo, RamRam, Edlefsen, Hinshaw, Hembree, Runzler

Odd thought -- not one African American on the squad. Should make Nolan and Marcus happy.

Question. Do you expect Sanchez to walk or do we trade him for nothing? But that is a pretty low cost lineup, all homegrown.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question. Do you expect Sanchez to walk or do we trade him for nothing? But that is a pretty low cost lineup, all homegrown.

I'd expect that we're going to move both Chez and Zito before they become FAs and Surkamp and Wheeler will step in for them.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd expect that we're going to move both Chez and Zito before they become FAs and Surkamp and Wheeler will step in for them.

I agree. Now I know it's hard to predict, but baised on that lineup, where do you think we should make a deal for Sanchez? I say maybe package Peguero and Sanchez for a power outfielder.