• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MIN WR Greg Childs blows out both knees

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You guys probably saw this story, he destroyed both his knees on the same play, torn patella tendons in each. Just such a freakish injury....in one knee he had a bilateral tear, "an injury so rare a 2009 study in the Iowa Orthopaedic Journal found only about 50 reported cases in the general population from English and German medical literature." And probably not many of those 50 did the other knee at the same time.

More interesting stuff about his chances:

The group of players who have returned from two patellar tendon tears -- much less three -- is far more exclusive.

St. Louis Rams halfback Cadillac Williams tore his right patellar tendon in 2007 and the left one 15 months later. He's thought to be the first NFL player to return from the injury in both knees.

Former Philadelphia and Denver halfback Correll Buckhalter played five more seasons after tearing his right patellar tendon in 2004 and again in '05.

The only NFL players believed to have torn both patellar tendons at the same time are former Chicago Bears receiver Wendell Davis in 1993 and former Cleveland Browns cornerback Gary Baxter in 2006. Neither appeared in another regular-season NFL game.

Pelissero: Vikings had good reason to take small chance on Greg Childs | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers)

And came across this, which was a bit more positive:

Minnesota Vikings: Gary Baxter wants injured Greg Childs to know he's been there, and recovery is possible - TwinCities.com

Its almost like a little fraternity.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talented kid. Really sucks for him. Had a great junior year in college and then decided to return for his senior year and it's been all down hill with injuries since.

I doubt he'll play in a meaningful football game ever again.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wikipedia says he tore one of his patellar tendons in college. Do you think the college recovery programs might be slightly responsible for this? Like how Frank Gore injured his knees in college with the 2nd injury coming not too long after the first...

Or is it the players themselves with how they try to get back as soon as possible because they don't want to miss out on a chance to show what they can do and eventually get drafted or invited to a camp? For instance Rice hurried back and ended up getting a related injury too.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talented kid. Really sucks for him. Had a great junior year in college and then decided to return for his senior year and it's been all down hill with injuries since.

I doubt he'll play in a meaningful football game ever again.

Very talented. He was one of my sleeper picks. It's very unfortunate for the Vikings who really need to get Ponder some help.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wikipedia says he tore one of his patellar tendons in college. Do you think the college recovery programs might be slightly responsible for this? Like how Frank Gore injured his knees in college with the 2nd injury coming not too long after the first...

As I was doing some reading to try to add to this, I came across this guy who was way ahead of me:

Where We Attempt to Explain Greg Childs' Injury - Daily Norseman

Likely comes down to naturally weak tendons or tendonitis.