• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Millsap

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I presume you all see that Paul made it as an all-star this year for the Hawks. In retrospect, was that a bone headed move to not resign him for the kind of money that he got? Then, you have Hayward seeming set on big money for his next contract. Aren't the two players comparable? They have different skill sets obviously, but the tier of player they are are the same. Why anchor yourself to a guy like Hayward when you wouldn't to Paul. As you can tell, I'm just not over the moon on Gordy. He's okay. But, almost as streaky as CJ Miles. The last 2 games (Toronto and GS) he was just flat out bad.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's too early to tell, assuming that we believe the players that are replacing Millsap need the time to play. Also, I'm not sure if he was asking more from us than he was from them?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I presume you all see that Paul made it as an all-star this year for the Hawks. In retrospect, was that a bone headed move to not resign him for the kind of money that he got? Then, you have Hayward seeming set on big money for his next contract. Aren't the two players comparable? They have different skill sets obviously, but the tier of player they are are the same. Why anchor yourself to a guy like Hayward when you wouldn't to Paul. As you can tell, I'm just not over the moon on Gordy. He's okay. But, almost as streaky as CJ Miles. The last 2 games (Toronto and GS) he was just flat out bad.

Hayward's best attribute isn't his shooting, it's his driving and passing IMO. His best games are when he's driving, breaking down the defense, and creating open looks for others.

I agree Hayward's not a great shooter.

As for Millsap, even if he made the All-Star team, what's the point? Atlanta is likely to lose in the 1st round again. If the Jazz made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round again, especially due to an inferior frontcourt, I don't think anyone would be happy.

He's also not in Atlanta's long-term plans. That's why they only signed him to a 2 year deal. If Atlanta doesn't see him as a longterm answer, but rather as a transition player, then they don't see him as a keeper either.

Lastly, Al Horford would have made the All-Star team over Millsap had Horford been healthy. Millsap is shooting 46.7%. That's not good for a big man. Horford is shooting 56.7%, with better rebounding, and much better defense. I'd also have put Jeff Teague or Kyle Lowry ahead of Millsap on the All-Star team. I can live with Millsap, but think those other players were a little better. Especially when you consider wildcard spots that don't require a position.

Andre Drummond also should have made the All-Star team over Millsap.

I didn't like the Noah or Joe Johnson selections. Johnson's good, but hasn't been consistent this year, only over the past month.

It might come down to this. Relative to his position, Millsap doesn't stand out as much. But because of Hayward's ball handling, and the lack of good swingmen, Hayward is better relative to his position.

In the 2012 playoffs, Millsap averaged 12.0 ppg on 37% FG, and didn't provide resistance against the Spurs. (Neither did the Jazz guards.)

Hayward is far below Paul George's level, as well as James, Durant. Probably not as good as Batum either. Nor Joe Johnson.

After that, Evan Turner and Hayward might be next.

Hayward might be the 8th best SG/SF, while Millsap is not the 10th best PF.

We'll see what Hayward's contract is when it's time. That could impact on whom they should have kept.

But Randy Rigby also believed that Favors and Kanter could provide more for the frontcourt. So far, Favors has improved a bit, but doesn't look like he'll be as good of an offensive player. His rebounding is solid, as is his shot blocking. Defense is ok, but could still be better.

Kanter seems to be a little better at his jumper, but has taken a step back in consistency.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's too early to tell, assuming that we believe the players that are replacing Millsap need the time to play. Also, I'm not sure if he was asking more from us than he was from them?

Also, maybe Millsap didn't want to compete for playing time. On Atlanta, there's no one.

On the Jazz, he always had to share with Boozer, Okur, Jefferson, Kanter, Jeremy Evans.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayward is not elite in any one area, but decent to good in several...and a poor shooter. I don't pay him over 10.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an excerpt from the Atlanta Journal-Consititution:

Others saw this coming. All Millsap needed was a chance.

“Before practice, in Utah, he used to work on a lot of things that I’m seeing now, but he never got to use them because we always had to run that system,” said DeMarre Carroll, who spent the past two seasons in Utah with Millsap. “He got here, and he’s doing everything I saw in practice two years ago.”

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an excerpt from the Atlanta Journal-Consititution:

Others saw this coming. All Millsap needed was a chance.

“Before practice, in Utah, he used to work on a lot of things that I’m seeing now, but he never got to use them because we always had to run that system,” said DeMarre Carroll, who spent the past two seasons in Utah with Millsap. “He got here, and he’s doing everything I saw in practice two years ago.”

We'll see if his game has really changed. Somehow I doubt the Jazz were holding him back.

I haven't seen much of Atlanta this year. If I don't catch them in the regular season, I'll definitely see them in the playoffs, so we'll see then, when it counts.

I do want to see Teague at least, and I'll add Millsap to my watch list. I want to see if Teague has more leadership then he did a few years ago. I think he was a decent player, as of a few years ago, but didn't have as much leadership qualities yet.