• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Shanahan

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was somewhat on the fence on this one, but this is really getting ridiculous. For all the Shanahan backers on this board (that perhaps label anyone who suggests getting rid of coaches is an idiot and/or fair weather fan) please just tell me something - anything - that Shanahan has done THIS SEASON to warrant his return. It is as if all the benefits of last season have been negated and then some. I realize he did some good things overall including last season but even there his overall record is not good & you can't blame everything on the cap sanctions.

The star QB has regressed in a major way. He will still probably recover to do go things in the future (I guess), but it will take a lot of work from him and the coaches (perhaps a different set up coaches). There are also huge problems in all areas for this team. They appear to have no control over this team and passion seems to be minimal at best.

There are very, very few positives for this team at this time. Ask yourself - if you were not a Redskins fan & looking on this from the outside how would you handle these coaches. Very, very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Shanahans 4th year of of his 5 year contract and the team royally sucks

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't behind this offensive line. C'mon Shark, quit bashing Griffin. This debacle of a team is not all him.

I have been told for weeks by the board mod that the problem was the defense. Our line was fine and the QB was worth 4 draft picks. The line sucks, and the QB cant hit the broad side of a barn apparently. time for the Art Brilles conversation to start. Mike is gone guys. Cause we cant give up the QB since we are burried in the picks.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was somewhat on the fence on this one, but this is really getting ridiculous. For all the Shanahan backers on this board (that perhaps label anyone who suggests getting rid of coaches is an idiot and/or fair weather fan) please just tell me something - anything - that Shanahan has done THIS SEASON to warrant his return. It is as if all the benefits of last season have been negated and then some. I realize he did some good things overall including last season but even there his overall record is not good & you can't blame everything on the cap sanctions.

The star QB has regressed in a major way. He will still probably recover to do go things in the future (I guess), but it will take a lot of work from him and the coaches (perhaps a different set up coaches). There are also huge problems in all areas for this team. They appear to have no control over this team and passion seems to be minimal at best.

There are very, very few positives for this team at this time. Ask yourself - if you were not a Redskins fan & looking on this from the outside how would you handle these coaches. Very, very frustrating.

This is a fair question. Honestly, nothing has gone right this year and I guess it does eventually fall on the coaches. But is it really bad coaching or just a lack of talent? Or is it both? I have written posts that said Shanahan deserves to come back next year as long as he hasn't lost the locker room. After tonight, I'm not so sure that he has the locker room anymore. This team has quit. Wilson couldn't even cover their 3rd string TE. The Oline is a sieve. The play calling isn't aggressive at all. Honestly, Im not sure Shanahan wants to come back. I think he may have quit.

So the next question is.......who do we get?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been told for weeks by the board mod that the problem was the defense. Our line was fine and the QB was worth 4 draft picks. The line sucks, and the QB cant hit the broad side of a barn apparently. time for the Art Brilles conversation to start. Mike is gone guys. Cause we cant give up the QB since we are burried in the picks.

Yep - the problems were truly exposed tonight since they played against a stellar defense. It is obvious that the O-line cannot pass block very well (including Williams at times). It is also extremely obvious that RG3 still has major holes in his game. This can probably be corrected but realistically might take years. Nobody should assume that any 1st or 2nd year QB has it all figured out (including RG3 and Luck).

The problems are everywhere including offense, defense and most definitely special teams. All of the coaches should now be scared about their future. The one thing that may save Shanahan is that Snyder is in a no-win situation. If he is part of retaining all of the staff many people will criticize him. However - if he cans Shanahan there are many people that will criticize him for not "maintaining continuity". I find that kind of ridiculous since 4 years of primarily poor results is not really worth maintaining unless countered by an overwhelming amt of other facts (which in this case is extremely debatable).

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My problem SoCalFan is that we are actually getting worse. I honestly don't think we will win another game this year. The constant verbal arguements with players and refusing to address issues. Lets look at the problems in all 3 areas of the game:

Special Teams: We are last in punt return average and last in starting field position. It could be said that we literally have the worst special teams units in the NFL. Shanahan brought the knucklehead coach in.

Defense: Once again, we are last of close to it for points scored and yards given up. We literally have one of the worst secondaries in the league. Shanahan refused to fire Haslett in the offseason.

Offense: We might be a top 5 offense in yardage but we sliding toward the end of the year. The glaring lack of talent regarding the OLine and WR position is evident. The playcalling is very questionable during the game at most times.

I understand peoples point about not constantly changing coaches, but its year 4 and we are on pace for the worst year yet and no real inclination of improvement. Unless he fires 2/3 of his coaches and address every single hole in the team, I am not sure he will last past next year. I am not sure why he deserves to keep his job. Everyone points to the cap penatly but I am sure that was Shanahan's idea and he did it to himself. I understand that he had a tremendous amount to clean up and he has made some good decisions.

The bottom line is that we are getting worse and are possibly the worst team in the NFL. We have given the man a ton of excuses but where are the results? What in the world can possibly change this offseason. Shanahan will be resposible for the following this offseason:

1. RG3 progressing as a QB.
2. Overhauling the interior OLine.
3. Getting playmakers on the team at WR and the return game.
4. Fixing the secondary.
5. Bringing in a new DC.
6. Bringing in a new ST coach.

I am not sure he is up to doing all of this, but he must. Its just hard to watch this team get worse and its more evident each day that last year was a fluke and the result of a gimmic offense.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Shanahan is a terrible coach his son is a terrible OC, but I dont think a coach would fire his own son which means they are probably both gone.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a fair question. Honestly, nothing has gone right this year and I guess it does eventually fall on the coaches. But is it really bad coaching or just a lack of talent? Or is it both? I have written posts that said Shanahan deserves to come back next year as long as he hasn't lost the locker room. After tonight, I'm not so sure that he has the locker room anymore. This team has quit. Wilson couldn't even cover their 3rd string TE. The Oline is a sieve. The play calling isn't aggressive at all. Honestly, Im not sure Shanahan wants to come back. I think he may have quit.

So the next question is.......who do we get?

This is the million dollar question. The good news is that the job should be attractive because the team has its franchise QB and basic foundation in place on offense (QB, TE, WR, LT and RB). Defense is a different story. The other good thing is that there is lots of money to spend on talent.

We would need a younger coach with NFL experience. Sumlin would be awesome but I don't think he has the skill set to coach and NFL team. We might be stuck with Shanahan for a while. I guess Grudent would be the only name I would consider.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden could be worth a shot he is still young and has been in the broadcast booth watching every single teams defense and offense play

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden could be worth a shot he is still young and has been in the broadcast booth watching every single teams defense and offense play

He is a players coach and is a very intelligent guy.

mHeady

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's the secret to getting to manning and brady? YOU HIT THEM. how many hits does rg take weekly? WAY TOO MANY TO BE ABLE TO CONFIDENTLY STAND IN THE POCKET. frustrating. if we cant get the running game going early we are just a bad football team. period

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Gruden leaving that cushy job for the grind of coaching. Once you get that gig and all the perks that go with it, you rarely walk away from it.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head coaching options

If and when Shanny is let go who do you think we could bring in.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point does RGIII get heat? He is horrible going through professions. You can blame the coach all you want, but Robert is not a good QB. The pistol/read option has been effectively shut down and he's not adapting.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the million dollar question. The good news is that the job should be attractive because the team has its franchise QB and basic foundation in place on offense (QB, TE, WR, LT and RB). Defense is a different story. The other good thing is that there is lots of money to spend on talent.

We would need a younger coach with NFL experience. Sumlin would be awesome but I don't think he has the skill set to coach and NFL team. We might be stuck with Shanahan for a while. I guess Grudent would be the only name I would consider.

I really like Sumlin & perceive him to be a guy who won't take any crap from anyone including RG3. You could be right about not having the skill set - who knows. Making the transition from college to the NFL is a crapshoot - some have excelled while others have been a disaster (see Spurrier, Steve).

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the issue that needs to be addressed.

Any decision on the contract of a HC & the long term direction of this franchise starts and ends here.

Any thoughts ?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point does RGIII get heat? He is horrible going through professions. You can blame the coach all you want, but Robert is not a good QB. The pistol/read option has been effectively shut down and he's not adapting.

I don't think anyone is denying that RG3 should take a major part of the blame for this season. He also needs a lot of work to get to the point of being a long term consistently effective QB. However - that is just part of the issue & when the problems get this bad you have to start considering coaching changes especially since the current regime has been in place for four years.