• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Shanahan

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15m Mike Shanahan attempts to explain the clock management at the end of the first half http://wapo.st/15BqGee

Even if this explanation is credible it still doesn't explain the clock mgmt problems that occurred throughout the night. How does RG3 constantly get under center with what appears to be 10-15 seconds + and then struggle to get the ball snapped in time? He needs to stop being so cute with the overall play calling and strategy. He is not Peyton Manning. Just snap the damn ball & run the play.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its Kyle who is the problem. but I do blame Mike for the clock mgt problem at the end of the first half. Mike needs to start calling plays. This happened two years ago. Kyle has to go. RG3 is on thin ice but it looks like the coach will refuse to take him out no matter what he does.

Didn't think so before, but as more of these type of games occur you have to start questioning Mike Shanahan. He hired all of these guys & he sets the general tone for the team. Week after week we see all types of mistakes - penalties, turnovers, special teams gaffs, etc.

Perhaps they are outmanned in certain areas (e.g. O-line) & you just have to accept that & hope for change over the offseason. However - the mistakes mentioned above are preventable & need to be corrected to a large degree or else it falls on the coaches. Perhaps Shanahan should not be such a nice guy in this area. Getting rid of asst coaches or players might set the tone that everyone needs to be accountable.

Something needs to changes since - as they say - you can't keep doing things the same way & expect different results.

HTTR

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you should blame your moronic owner, for mortgaging the teams future for RGIII. It's easy to blame the HC. Look at your talent level over there.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This explanation is typical deflection by Shanahan reminiscent of the explanation he gave after the Seattle game. There was no excuse. He wasted 30 precious seconds on a very critical drive with 3 timeouts in his pocket. Clearly RG3 stepped up to the center and there was confusion in the entire offense. Call time out right then. But RG3 stumbled, everyone was looking around the play clock was dwindling and at the last second we call time out? No excuse. It was complete mismanagement and poor coaching. That's what he needs to say. I'm quickly losing any respect I had for him. Nothing is ever his fault.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you should blame your moronic owner, for mortgaging the teams future for RGIII. It's easy to blame the HC. Look at your talent level over there.

I am no fan of Snyder's but you have no idea what you are talking about. Wise words were once said....it is better to keep you mouth shut and let every one think you might be a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
updates from the Monday Presser

23m[/ame] Nick Sundberg out for season with meniscus tear. Bryan Kehl out for season with ACL according to Shanahan
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389830730186231808[/MEDIA]"]23m[/ame]
Amerson has a concussion and will be monitored day-by-day. [URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389831060957433856[/MEDIA]"]23m[/ame]
Shanahan on special teams fix: "Same thing you always do, try to do the little things the right way."
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389831490529673216[/MEDIA]"]22m[/ame]
Shanahan: Lorenzo Alexander's not gonna show up. Someone has to take control
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389831890267803648[/MEDIA]"]21m[/ame]
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389832207231361024[/MEDIA]"]19m[/ame]
Shanahan said the hit on Amerson was "definitely helmet-to-helmet" and said that if Amerson had more experience, he would make that tackle.
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389833041658773504[/MEDIA]"]17m[/ame]
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389833723362828288[/MEDIA]"]14m[/ame]
Shanahan says "I have a lot of belief in our coaches and players" said he isn't considering any in-season staff changes.
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389833974597824513[/MEDIA]"]14m[/ame]
Shanahan just said that in the 15-second gap where he didn't call timeout before halftime, the refs let the clock run 5 seconds too long. ?
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389834414391193600[/MEDIA]"]12m[/ame]
Shanahan said Jose Gumbs played over Bacarri Rambo because Gumbs is physical on special teams and coaches wanted to give him a look.
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389834641927962624[/MEDIA]"]11m[/ame]
Shanahan says Maurice Hurt is "feeling petty good. Now we have to decide when to bring him up."
[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389837949342613505[/MEDIA]"]2m[/ame]
Shanahan's explanation of his mangling of clock mgt is scary because he doesn't appear to know he messed it up. Can't learn if u don't admit

[URL="[MEDIA=twitter]389836311835987968[/MEDIA]"]5m[/ame]

zizozizozizoskins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Shanahan will be fired either after this season or next season he is done

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Shanahan: "I think Keith Burns is an excellent football coach." He's very capable.

Really? Are we ever going to see even one shred of evidence to prove this? I am getting tired of these quotes from Shanahan, RG3, etc. I liked reading quotes from Raheem Morris last week about his DBs. He basically stated that it was tough & guys needed to improve but nobody wants to hear that - you have to prove it on the field.

Enough already with giving credit to people who don't deserve it, accepting blame, etc, etc. Just prove it already or shut up.

zizozizozizoskins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you SoCal ....I am sick of hearing some BS....this is all messed up to hear I am so sick of losing this is sickening and honestly makes me angry at the team a lot more when I hear bs complements and excuses like losers

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Shanahan: "I think Keith Burns is an excellent football coach." He's very capable.

Really? Are we ever going to see even one shred of evidence to prove this? I am getting tired of these quotes from Shanahan, RG3, etc. I liked reading quotes from Raheem Morris last week about his DBs. He basically stated that it was tough & guys needed to improve but nobody wants to hear that - you have to prove it on the field.

Enough already with giving credit to people who don't deserve it, accepting blame, etc, etc. Just prove it already or shut up.

I'm sure what he shares with the media & fans does not reflect what is REALLY going on behind closed doors.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure what he shares with the media & fans does not reflect what is REALLY going on behind closed doors.

Good - keep it that way. Shanahan & Snyder should pay whatever the fine is & skip these stupid press conferences - nobody wants to hear it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - someone mentioned this on ES - good point. If/when they decide to get rid of Shanahan (in whatever year) please don't suggest that they get someone like Cowher or Gruden. Here is the list of SB winning coaches that subsequently coached another team (or the same team years later in Gibbs' case):

Vince Lombardi
Hank Stram
Joe Gibbs
Mike Ditka
Bill Parcells
George Seifert
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Dick Vermeil

Of that list only Parcells and Vermeil had pretty decent success (hard to tell with Lombardi since his life was cut short). Most of the rest had mediocre to horrible results when they returned (we are kind of learning this with the Skins now unfortunately). Instead - they should focus on up and coming younger asst coaches.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you blame Mike for this season, and not RG3's recovery from injury, then you give him sole credit for our first division title in 12 years last season.

If you can't see the only difference is RG3's inconsistencies this season, then you aren't really paying attention. Let's also see how we do when we don't have 36 million dollars in cap penalties.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you blame Mike for this season, and not RG3's recovery from injury, then you give him sole credit for our first division title in 12 years last season.

If you can't see the only difference is RG3's inconsistencies this season, then you aren't really paying attention. Let's also see how we do when we don't have 36 million dollars in cap penalties.

I am on the fence on this one - probably still leaning more towards retaining Shanahan. I have basically already made both of your points in previous threads. I stated several times that the cap sanctions have limited this team pretty severely. As for RG3 - his issues have certainly had an overall negative effect on this team thus far.

However - I would also assign a major amt of blame to Shanahan. He hired that special teams coach who appears to be in over his head, and the results have been horrendous. There have also been a huge amt of penalties which have hurt this team quite a bit. Just two of several issues that have hurt this team.

I give Shanahan a big amt of credit for several things including last season's NFC-E title, making improvements in the personnel area & keeping Snyder out of football decisions. However - on the negative side - I don't want to see this team in a similar position next season. Five years is much too long to not have a team that is a legit contender regardless of whatever issues he inherited from the previous regime.

I can live with a mediocre (or slightly worse) finish this season, but there have to be some signs of progress & a definite plan to make this team a solid contender next season. Time will tell.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. Mike gets the credit for winning the division, having the guts to make the trade for Griffin & having the ability to find Morris in the 6th.
But he also gets the blame for keeping Griffin in the game too long when it was apparent to everyone watching he was no longer effective.

I havent completely given up hope on Mike's 5 year plan ... just frustrated after seeing other coaches find immediate success such as Andy Reid. However, if he can not pull out 6-8 wins bring on the fire sale.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets 1 more year. He will have 3 of 4 losing seasons. Reid has turned KC around in 6 games. I understand that he had a lot of talent already, but he turned the culture around and went out and got good free agents to fit his system.

Shanahan has had 4 drafts and 4 off-seasons to fix this mess. I understand that 36 million disappeared but that has nothing to do with the draft picks. His drafting has been ok and I have been fine with it.

This is a results driven league and 3 of 4 losing seasons is not good. There is a lack of accountability with Shanahan. Our defense and ST is awful this year and I can assure you that he wont do anything about it. The problem is, if we get rid of him, who would be a better coach? At the end of 5 years if we haven't gone to the playoffs again, he should go. 4 of 5 losing seasons cannot be tolerated.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so much overreacting. wheres mitz and skinsdad

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what a bunch of fans do here. They designate a coach to fire after each loss. A couple of weeks ago it was Haslett. Then the defense cleans it's game up after a couple of weeks so now it's the Shanahans. I LMAO when I see bad play calling ... how much do you know about play calling? I'd guess very little.

I agree that Mike didn't manage the clock well. It didn't cost the team the game though. Poor special teams play and Robert holding the ball too long cost the team. Kehl and Paulsen weren't playing STs at that point. Alexander is gone because the team has an 16 million dollar penalty and couldn't afford him. Are you going to blame the coach for Robinson's dropped TD pass?

This team has played at 80% capacity of every other team in the league the past two years. Their starting QB is coming off of major knee reconstruction and trying to find the game he had last year.

Some people say "look what Andy Reid" did but Andy walked into talent and had the money to either keep players or acquire players. In all fairness Mike has not had ONE normal season yet. His first year was the uncapped year which ended up meaning you could only acquire older free agents. Second year was the strike year and the last two he has had to build a team with 16 million dollars less than every other team. One of those years he won the division. But you lose a couple of games because you don't have the resources to go get any better OL or you can't afford to keep guys who would be good ST players and it's FIRE the coach.

In two weeks the team will play Denver and it will be FIRE Haslett time again. :lol:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what a bunch of fans do here.

Yes, it is. We complain about the team & you complain about us.

If you want to blame the lack of salary cap for the O-line getting man handled & plowed over ... or Fred Davis being in the doghouse and making no contribution ... or for the decision to replace Danny Smith with Keith Burns ... go right ahead.

I just had the crazy idea the Head Coach should be held accountable for that kind of stuff.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Krush. It's one thing to have a lack of talent and get beat. We are beating ourselves through penalties, miscommunications, clock management and, yes, bad coaching. Dallas was trying their best to give us that game. We continually stepped on our own crank time and again.

Dallas committed all defensive resources to stoping our stretch running plays. The played 7 and 8 in the box. All game long. At what point does the OC recognize this and call some plays to take advantage of the holes left behind the LBs? Jordan Reed was wide open in the first half and we took advantage of it. Then, inexplicably, we only went to him once in the second half......why? At what point does the OC recognize that 5 and 7 step drops by the QB are probably going to not be there for long as they are bringing 5 and 6 on every pass play, collapsing the pocket. Hey, how about a roll out??? Hey, how about a screen pass to Helu? Then, you're in the red zone on the 15 with 13 seconds left in the half and you have a 3rd and 8 and you call for a QB draw? WTF? RG3 runs it 6 yards with 2 seconds left on the clock. What happens if he runs it 12 yards? While its a first down, the clock would have expired and we would not even have been able to kick a FG. How about taking a shot in the end zone???? THis is a prime example of BAD play calling.

As far as penalties, they have been a problem since Shanahan has been here. At what point does he address them? Clock management has been a continual problem. That fiasco at the end of the half wasted over 20 seconds and he had 3 timeouts in his pocket. That's 2 additional plays in the red zone. It was clear as soon as RG3 went under center that there was confusion. Call time out right then. But Shanahan waited for 17 additional seconds until the play clock was almost expired to call time out. WTF??? Then he defends the actions by saying nothing is wrong? Just man up and admit your mistake. There appears to be no accountability for any mistakes on this team. If you don't know that you've fucked up, how do you begin to correct it?