• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Babcock and now Bill Peters death watch

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wonder if coaching contracts will soon have a clause whereby the newly hired bench boss has to disclose whether he has ever used inflammatory language/tactics during previous head coaching duties.

Then there is a clear way to void a contract in instances like this. That is if the coaching applicant does not disclose something that comes out later.

I agree. This is the world we live in right now.

This is Hockey's version of #metoo and I for one I'm happy for it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wonder if coaching contracts will soon have a clause whereby the newly hired bench boss has to disclose whether he has ever used inflammatory language/tactics during previous head coaching duties.

Then there is a clear way to void a contract in instances like this. That is if the coaching applicant does not disclose something that comes out later.

I am still waiting for coaches' salaries to count against the cap.

I would love TO to be stuck with that bill for Babs.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sid right now on 'Tim and Sid' is making an excellent point. Brad Treliving has made at least 3 appearances on camera discussing the Bill Peters saga yet none of this happened when Bill Peters was employed by the Calgary Flames. Nothing from Gary Bettman, nothing from Bill Daly and nothing from either the Rockford IceHogs or Carolina Hurricanes when Bill Peters was employed by those organizations. Ron Francis has yet to say anything (guess he's too busy getting ready for Seattle).

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hitting the junior ranks as well...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hitting the junior ranks as well...

To be fair, this is where it should hit hardest and most swiftly.

While no one deserves to be belittled and/or abused I think it's far more serious when dealing with 16-20 year olds playing for free than it is when dealing with adult millionaires.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
A trainer/equipment guy? the "rub my hammies and wash my jock" guy?
Wouldn't think he would have authority to abuse the meal-tickets, but I guess to Kenny's point the
young'uns coming into an organization would be the most vulnerable.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't listened to it yet, but Chris Chelios is on the latest edition of Spittin' Chicklets and he basically backs up Franzen's claims regarding how tough Babcock was on Franzen.

Edit: As pointed out by jstew above.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, this is where it should hit hardest and most swiftly.

While no one deserves to be belittled and/or abused I think it's far more serious when dealing with 16-20 year olds playing for free than it is when dealing with adult millionaires.

Where does forcin asking kids to fight when they dont want to fall into the spectrum of abuse in juniors these days ?

I have a friend whos nephew played whl in the past 5 years that was told by one of the throwback coaches that he needed to start fighting guys if he wanted to keep his spot on the team. He was 6’5 but was not a fighter as witnessed by the beatdowns in fights he had that are posted on hockeyfights.com. He ended up being traded to a prairie team because he didnt fight and the teams public statement was that he “didnt use his size”. The team he was traded to also had a throwback coach who upon meeting him basically said you have to fight to stay in the league :ohwell:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does forcin asking kids to fight when they dont want to fall into the spectrum of abuse in juniors these days ?

I have a friend whos nephew played whl in the past 5 years that was told by one of the throwback coaches that he needed to start fighting guys if he wanted to keep his spot on the team. He was 6’5 but was not a fighter as witnessed by the beatdowns in fights he had that are posted on hockeyfights.com. He ended up being traded to a prairie team because he didnt fight and the teams public statement was that he “didnt use his size”. The team he was traded to also had a throwback coach who upon meeting him basically said you have to fight to stay in the league :ohwell:

Yeah. That's some horrific shit. I know a kid who played in the W who was told the same thing. This kid was kind of a fighter but had pretty bad fractures in one of his hands. He was still pressured to "protect his teammates". He hasn't played in 4 years now and his hands (especially one of them) are pretty fucked up. He's 24 years old.