• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

midseason list for the Wayman Tisdale

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The USBWA announced its midseason list for the Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year award on Friday afternoon.

The Wayman Tisdale award is selected annually by the United States Basketball Writers Association and given to the best freshman in the country. The award will be announced in March, and handed out in April in Oklahoma City.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article indicated Joel Embiid and Tyler Ennis lead the list. I've watched kansas a couple of times and just don't find Joe Embiid as important to KU as Tyler Ennis has been for the Orange. It may be a homer selection, but I do like my boy TE.

And as I mentioned in other threads, I like Aaron Gordon as well. But the same as Embiid, if Gordon was missing from AZ and Ennis was missing from SU, I think SU would suffer the most.

It's a long season to go so much is yet to be found out.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article indicated Joel Embiid and Tyler Ennis lead the list. I've watched kansas a couple of times and just don't find Joe Embiid as important to KU as Tyler Ennis has been for the Orange. It may be a homer selection, but I do like my boy TE.

And as I mentioned in other threads, I like Aaron Gordon as well. But the same as Embiid, if Gordon was missing from AZ and Ennis was missing from SU, I think SU would suffer the most.

Idk. Embiid changes so much on defense with his presence alone. The way he blocks and alters shots. Then factor in his pts and rebounds too.

Ennis has been great but fair is still the most indispensable player on that team even.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched kansas a couple of times and just don't find Joe Embiid as important to KU as Tyler Ennis has been for the Orange.

Ahhh... the age old debate.... "best" vs. "most valuable"

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk. Embiid changes so much on defense with his presence alone. The way he blocks and alters shots. Then factor in his pts and rebounds too.

Ennis has been great but fair is still the most indispensable player on that team even.

Yes...I agree, Fair is the solid double digit guy every game who requires double teams and other support to keep him from going off. I wouldn't want to play a game this season without CJ

But this is a freshman list and I easily find Ennis an outstanding player. The lack of depth for SU at the guard spot is a real show stopper. Cooney is ok, but he can't run the offense and still shoot the 3. Gbinije is ok for spelling Cooney and Ennis, but he doesn't have the ball skills to run the point. Without Ennis, SU is out of whack.

I don't think there is another team where a freshman means as much.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from an Arizona fan, I just can't see Gordon being a serious finalist for this award.

Its no indictment on Gordon, its just the fact that he plays on a team that plays more balanced than possibly any other team in the country.

One of Arizona's biggest strengths is that they don't rely on any one person at any time. In fact, if I had to chose the last player I would want Arizona to have to play without out, there are at least 2 other players I'm picking before Gordon (Johnson, McConnell)

That said, his impact on the best team in the country goes WAY beyond his stats. Dude is a stud.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:It is a homer selection. I also like Ennis and it's been so long since Syracuse had a legit point guard, you folks fell in love with the first one that came along...LOL...That said, Embiid is a beast. Parker and Wiggins are very talented and the NBA is going to snatch them up early in the first round. All three of those guys get picked before Ennis.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh... the age old debate.... "best" vs. "most valuable"

Yes...I hear you. How did the debate end? :nod: I guess a better response is I have no clue what the Tisdale selection committee looks for in a player. :noidea:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from an Arizona fan, I just can't see Gordon being a serious finalist for this award.

Its no indictment on Gordon, its just the fact that he plays on a team that plays more balanced than possibly any other team in the country.

One of Arizona's biggest strengths is that they don't rely on any one person at any time. In fact, if I had to chose the last player I would want Arizona to have to play without out, there are at least 2 other players I'm picking before Gordon (Johnson, McConnell)

That said, his impact on the best team in the country goes WAY beyond his stats. Dude is a stud.

:agree:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:It is a homer selection. I also like Ennis and it's been so long since Syracuse had a legit point guard, you folks fell in love with the first one that came along...LOL...That said, Embiid is a beast. Parker and Wiggins are very talented and the NBA is going to snatch them up early in the first round. All three of those guys get picked before Ennis.

Hard to say. Who is selected often is a result of need. Look at MCW....Philly needed a guard so he went fourth in the draft last year. I don't think anyone except Philly's head office and MCW's agent knew he was going that early.

But you are for sure right about SU fans and Ennis. After years of Trische and Scoop and MCW....it has been a long time since SU had a true PG.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The USBWA announced its midseason list for the Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year award on Friday afternoon.

The Wayman Tisdale award is selected annually by the United States Basketball Writers Association and given to the best freshman in the country. The award will be announced in March, and handed out in April in Oklahoma City.

I'm going to go completely homer here and mention the 1 freshman who nobody is talking about. Now, in no way am I saying he should win this award (there are better candidates out there). But PG Isaiah Taylor from Texas. Helped lead this team unexpectedly to a 15-4 start.

11/4/4 per game. Compare to:

Embiid: 11/7/1
Wiggins: 15/6/1
Ennis: 12/3/5
Gordon: 12/7/1

Not that far off is all I'm saying. Now to answer the question, it's hard not to vote for Julius Randle:

17/11/2

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just hours after I wrote the above post - Isaiah Taylor goes out, destroys Baylor in Waco:

27pts; 3 assists; 3 steals. The announcers during the game said he is one of the best freshmen in the country that we are not talking about.