• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan offers Harbaugh 6 years/48 million

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised to hear of this. Since Harbs is under contract can a college team try to hire him?

BamaCards1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate to see him leave. He's done such a good job for the 9ers that it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't keep him or want him around.

But if he has to go any where, I'd love it to be Michigan, so they can start stomping OSU into the dirt.

Wonder who the 9ers would be thinking about replacing him with.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised to hear of this. Since Harbs is under contract can a college team try to hire him?
I'm sure he can get out of his current contract. Michigan would be a great opportunity for him.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was another NFL team it would be tampering, but I'm not sure what the rules are if a college team came calling. I think the normal thought process is 9/10 an NFL head coach would turn down a similar job at a college, but this situation is a bit different with all the rumors about Harbs being fired/traded. He just might quit to do it.

Personally I'd prefer he go to college than the NFL so he won't come back with another NFL team and kick our ass since there's a very good chance our next HC won't be as good as Harbaugh. And god help us if he took Fangio with him.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was another NFL team it would be tampering, but I'm not sure what the rules are if a college team came calling. I think the normal thought process is 9/10 an NFL head coach would turn down a similar job at a college, but this situation is a bit different with all the rumors about Harbs being fired/traded. He just might quit to do it.

Personally I'd prefer he go to college than the NFL so he won't come back with another NFL team and kick our ass since there's a very good chance our next HC won't be as good as Harbaugh. And god help us if he took Fangio with him.

Maybe he uses that as a starting point for his negotiations.. Atleast that's what I hope... Followed by Michigan announcing Roman as their head coach

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he uses that as a starting point for his negotiations.. Atleast that's what I hope... Followed by Michigan announcing Roman as their head coach

Hahaa!! I was walking down that road in my post originally but got that update and posted that instead.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I would think Harbs is allowed to resign and go to a college team? This would remove the tension between all parties, and he'd look professional in leaving. he wouldn't 'spite' the 49ers and make himself look bad.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know I'm just talking out of my ass here, but I feel that if we fire him we'll owe him the money because he was honoring the contract and the Niners breached/repudiated/etc.. This is why teams hesitate to extend contracts to coaches, as they are not as cuttable as players are. Sure, they can be fired, but you owe them money.

Not sure if there are any offsetting language where a new teams payment covers anything. I think they could get paid for both - that's why the Niners would be better off paying him, him taking a year off, and they hire a new guy. That would be better than releasing or firing him. I mean, why pay him to leave and coach another team?

If he wants to leave and not coach us when we haven't fired him, he doesn't get our money because we would be honoring the contract and he would be the one breaching/repudiating. This only applies to him leaving for college or another job outside of the NFL, it obviously does not apply to other NFL teams. They would just block that. He would get Michigan's money, obviously. Now, obviously, the team cannot unduly force a coach to not do his duty and therefore not owe him money. Depending on what they did, their actions could be tantamount to firing and those rules would apply.

The contract, in my guess, is for him to coach and for us to pay him for coaching. If one of those two things don't happen, one side would have a claim against the other. (Or by the language of the contract one side doesn't owe the other - either side technically.)

If he does not coach, he can coach Michigan. I'm pretty sure that doesn't have any language excluding that option. It's all about payment. He, of course, cannot go coach another NFL team, but you knew that already.

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh has to be smiling big right now. The bidding starts at 48 million, do I hear 50? Timing is everything. This gets more interesting every day.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Chamoalad as another team even talking with any other NFL team's coaches without permission would be in a rule violation and they would end up looking like dog crap.
I would guess that a college could inquire and hire without permission. If the HC is currently under contract to an NFL team, he walks away from that commitment and might be subject to a fine.

Yet somehow I call BS on this report of the Michigan offer. If it actually happened, it is in someone's best interest to make it public. Who gains the most?

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the Sabin situation while at Miami?

He suddenly ended up at Bama.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm just talking out of my ass here, but I feel that if we fire him we'll owe him the money because he was honoring the contract and the Niners breached/repudiated/etc.. This is why teams hesitate to extend contracts to coaches, as they are not as cuttable as players are. Sure, they can be fired, but you owe them money.

Not sure if there are any offsetting language where a new teams payment covers anything. I think they could get paid for both - that's why the Niners would be better off paying him, him taking a year off, and they hire a new guy. That would be better than releasing or firing him. I mean, why pay him to leave and coach another team?

If he wants to leave and not coach us when we haven't fired him, he doesn't get our money because we would be honoring the contract and he would be the one breaching/repudiating. This only applies to him leaving for college or another job outside of the NFL, it obviously does not apply to other NFL teams. They would just block that. He would get Michigan's money, obviously. Now, obviously, the team cannot unduly force a coach to not do his duty and therefore not owe him money. Depending on what they did, their actions could be tantamount to firing and those rules would apply.

The contract, in my guess, is for him to coach and for us to pay him for coaching. If one of those two things don't happen, one side would have a claim against the other. (Or by the language of the contract one side doesn't owe the other - either side technically.)

If he does not coach, he can coach Michigan. I'm pretty sure that doesn't have any language excluding that option. It's all about payment. He, of course, cannot go coach another NFL team, but you knew that already.
If the niners fire him with a year left on his contract then they would technically be breach of that contract. Harbaugh would have the legal obligation to mitigate his damages though and would have to find a new job. Because his new job would actually be giving him a raise, Harbaugh wouldn't have very minimal damages, if any.
If anything, the niners wouldn't want to fire Harbaugh because they would hope he would breach the contract so they would be the ones to go after damages if they wanted to

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan would pay the breach of contract damages.

6 year/49 million.**

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Chamoalad as another team even talking with any other NFL team's coaches without permission would be in a rule violation and they would end up looking like dog crap.
I would guess that a college could inquire and hire without permission. If the HC is currently under contract to an NFL team, he walks away from that commitment and might be subject to a fine.

Yet somehow I call BS on this report of the Michigan offer. If it actually happened, it is in someone's best interest to make it public. Who gains the most?

I think the offer is legit otherwise Michigan would come out and deny it (they still might). I don't think the school itself would leak it, but an ass or desperate booster could. From all the reports I've seen Harbaugh is getting calls from friends and boosters at Michigan pleading with him to come save them and the University.

One of them could leak the offer to put a final wedge between Harbaugh and the front office. To put that kind of money out for Harbaugh they would need booster support and the school couldn't have just said hey I need money for a coach without saying who. Some boosters had to know of the offer. I don't doubt if Harbaugh wanted more than the 48 mill they would go higher too.