• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Young

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just listened to MLB network and what they had to say about MY. Larry Bowa was gushing about his professionalism and how he's the guy that any manager wants on their team. couldn't have said it better

CoJo

Master of Sarcasm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and to think we were trying to get rid of him in the pre-season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and to think we were trying to get rid of him in the pre-season

and some would have benched or dropped him to the bottom of the order because of a couple of games.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and some would have benched or dropped him to the bottom of the order because of a couple of games.

That didn't take long. Crowing over one game.
And it was more than a couple of games. It was a collective 5 series and over 90 AB's and there but there is still another series to go.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and to think we were trying to get rid of him in the pre-season[/QU

Only after he demanded a trade in Spring Training.

CoJo

Master of Sarcasm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and to think we were trying to get rid of him in the pre-season[/QU

Only after he demanded a trade in Spring Training.

Only after we pushed him out of the lineup with the Beltre signing. DH for him wasn't even a guarantee at the time. He's had a poor postseason thus far no doubt about it, but when it comes down to it he's had a great year and that game Saturday was really clutch. I'll give credit where credit is due.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll always be Mr. Ranger to me, I hope he plays till he's 45 years old.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i said: some on here will never give a man his due. hit .338 (career high), drove in 106 runs (another career high) and had 216 hits ( his 6th season with more than 200 hits) and that means nothing because like a lot of players he struggled some in the playoffs. several "fans" think that they know more than Washington and real baseball people and would have move MY down into the lower part of the batting order or even benched him totally screwing up the team chemistry. thank god that Wash made the decisions

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington said after the game that MY is the spirit of the Rangers and without him they wouldn't have made the Playoffs

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you guys apparently weren't paying attention to the off season. Rangers tried to trade MY and had a deal in place but got cold feet. It went public. The Rangers wisely decided they needed to keep him. Then they signed Beltre. Then they traded for Napoli. At this point, after all the rumors had been swirling and after the Rangers had tried for an extended period to actually trade him, MY demanded a trade.

What I find simply astounding and a very good reflection on the Rangers management is that they really wanted to get out from under his contract and had the deal in place but they actually sat down and rethought their position and decided they were wrong in the first place. And to do this in the face of public scrutiny and media backlash is very impressive. Then when MY decided he needed to move on they stuck to their guns understanding what kind of player the guy really is.

Honestly, this management group is so sharp that it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were just pushing Young's buttons in an attempt to get him to find that next level as a player because they know how professional, hard working and that he takes pride in performing to his utmost abilities.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you guys apparently weren't paying attention to the off season. Rangers tried to trade MY and had a deal in place but got cold feet. It went public. The Rangers wisely decided they needed to keep him. Then they signed Beltre. Then they traded for Napoli. At this point, after all the rumors had been swirling and after the Rangers had tried for an extended period to actually trade him, MY demanded a trade.

What I find simply astounding and a very good reflection on the Rangers management is that they really wanted to get out from under his contract and had the deal in place but they actually sat down and rethought their position and decided they were wrong in the first place. And to do this in the face of public scrutiny and media backlash is very impressive. Then when MY decided he needed to move on they stuck to their guns understanding what kind of player the guy really is.

Honestly, this management group is so sharp that it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were just pushing Young's buttons in an attempt to get him to find that next level as a player because they know how professional, hard working and that he takes pride in performing to his utmost abilities.

i don't believe that they ever seriously considered letting him go and i don't think that he seriously wanted to leave either. a lot of the talking going on was so-called sources claiming the organization was doing this or Michael was saying this.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just impressed that the two sides were able to work it out. This could have been such a big thorn in the side of this thing, but it wasn't.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

He would never admit it, and may not realize it, but this utility role has been the best thing for his career. It's made him so much more valuable, and it's no coincidence that he had a career year at the plate.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would never admit it, and may not realize it, but this utility role has been the best thing for his career. It's made him so much more valuable, and it's no coincidence that he had a career year at the plate.

i don't think he thought he would get the playing time he got this season: 68 games at DH, 36 at 1st, 14 at 2nd, 40 at 3rd & 1 at SS

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i don't think he thought he would get the playing time he got this season: 68 games at DH, 36 at 1st, 14 at 2nd, 40 at 3rd & 1 at SS

Yup. I think that was the major issue he had. He thought the team was telling him one thing while planning for another. Just communication issues. It also didn't help that the national idiot reporters kept saying a deal was being worked on all the time.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i said: some on here will never give a man his due. hit .338 (career high), drove in 106 runs (another career high) and had 216 hits ( his 6th season with more than 200 hits) and that means nothing because like a lot of players he struggled some in the playoffs. several "fans" think that they know more than Washington and real baseball people and would have move MY down into the lower part of the batting order or even benched him totally screwing up the team chemistry. thank god that Wash made the decisions

Everybody has an opinion on a message board so you're 100% right about Wash and real baseball people. I remember somebody suggesting that the Rangers offer to beat any deal by a million for CJ this off season, which I thought was pretty ridiculous. Now he's being refered to as a #2 or 3 rotation guy by baseball people and I'm pretty sure that's based on his playoff numbers.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. I think that was the major issue he had. He thought the team was telling him one thing while planning for another. Just communication issues. It also didn't help that the national idiot reporters kept saying a deal was being worked on all the time.

I think you just nailed it. All the talk about the Rangers shopping Young at the winter meetings or having a trade they backed out of never surfaced in the media until after the Beltre signing/Young demanding a trade/Napoli trade time frame had come into play.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody has an opinion on a message board so you're 100% right about Wash and real baseball people. I remember somebody suggesting that the Rangers offer to beat any deal by a million for CJ this off season, which I thought was pretty ridiculous. Now he's being refered to as a #2 or 3 rotation guy by baseball people and I'm pretty sure that's based on his playoff numbers.

and he is still being talked about as the #2 free agent starter behind a guy who hasn't even opted out of his contract yet (C.C. Sabathia). and most people look at more than playoff stats when they talk about starting pitchers because they realize that there's more to a pitcher than what you see in the playoffs. would i stay with the 1M more a year to him? probably not but i still would actively pursue re-signing him. while you'd let him walk and then what would you do?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what baseball people are referring to him as a #2 or #3? i was just on several baseball sites and they are still calling him the #2 free agent pitcher. Can you direct me to any creditable site that says different? if you are going to base it all on playoff performance, then i assume that you wouldn't be interested in a starting pitcher whose 2011 post-season stats show 8.2 innings pitched, 10 hits allowed, 6 ER's, ERA of 6.23 and an allowed batting average of .323 either.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he is still being talked about as the #2 free agent starter behind a guy who hasn't even opted out of his contract yet (C.C. Sabathia). and most people look at more than playoff stats when they talk about starting pitchers because they realize that there's more to a pitcher than what you see in the playoffs. would i stay with the 1M more a year to him? probably not but i still would actively pursue re-signing him. while you'd let him walk and then what would you do?

I would like to see them sign him, too, but the problem is the pickings are slim in the FA market and it could possibly turn into a bidding war for his services. If somebody pays ace type money for a #2, I hope it's not us.
There's always the possibilty of a trade if he walks.