• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Merril Hodge: Sam is better than Clowney

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is the 99.99 percentile of talent, though. If you use the NFL average and elite levels as your benchmarks, the statement still stands. Elite talent wins out.

Elite talent does not mask lack of effort. But effort can compensate for lack of talent.

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said he said he would draft Sam before Clowney....the guy is an asshole
Yeah that is not saying Sam is better or will be better, he just doesnt like clowney for where he is being drafted.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite talent does not mask lack of effort. But effort can compensate for lack of talent.

No, it can't. It can't even come close.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Merril Hodge: if you had any credibility it's officially gone.

That is... without a doubt... the stupidest thing ANYONE has said about football players since people on the ESPN 49ers' board said Terrell Owens could play in the NBA.

:L

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me put it like this, most players drafted in the first few rounds have tons of talent, what separates them is the drive to succeed.
Now I know you'll disagree that they have the talent, but not the drive and claim just the reverse, so let's agree to disagree.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Michael Sam could have the work ethic of Jerry Rice and he still wouldn't be fit to carry Clowney's jock.

This is like saying Colt McCoy is a better prospect than Andrew Luck. It's so asinine it's insulting to everyone's intelligence.

Also, he's lying through his teeth. There's no way in hell he'd take Sam over Clowney. He's just another dishonest, attention-grabbing hack.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those that put in the hard work magnifies their talent.
Those that rely solely on their talent, usually have a short career.
I am willing to bet coaches would have an easier time game planning against top talent alone, than to game plan against above avg. talent that is driven to succeed.
you need a certain level of talent to be elite is true. But no matter how much talent you have, you wont be elite unless your driven towards it. No one is accidentally an elite player with little effort.

I would take above avg. talent with a very strong work ethic over an uber talented player that thinks he can get by on talent alone everytime.

Amazing how much some underestimate the mental part of football. No player has ever been elite with no work ethic. There have been players that weren't considered top talent that has become elite.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Sam could have the work ethic of Jerry Rice and he still wouldn't be fit to carry Clowney's jock.

This is like saying Colt McCoy is a better prospect than Andrew Luck. It's so asinine it's insulting to everyone's intelligence.

Also, he's lying through his teeth. There's no way in hell he'd take Sam over Clowney. He's just another dishonest, attention-grabbing hack.

Michael Sam should be like a 5th round pick, so yeah no amount of work ethic will make up for that compared to a top 5 pick. I believe in a work ethic counting, but not any where to that degree. That article was just for attention, without a doubt.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to find a picture with both Bayless and Hoge in it, couldn't find one. I guess ESPN couldn't afford to fit so much BS into one segment.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney is going to be a bust. He has all the physical ability in the world, but he's proven to be a loafer on occasion. You cannot be an elite player with sub-par work ethic. Michael Jordan didn't become who he was by half-assing during games. He worked harder than everybody else and he had elite level talent. I agree with, Sonny, and as usual, not with JDM. Work ethic is the difference between being simply good and being elite.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Clowney is going to be a bust. He has all the physical ability in the world, but he's proven to be a loafer on occasion. You cannot be an elite player with sub-par work ethic. Michael Jordan didn't become who he was by half-assing during games. He worked harder than everybody else and he had elite level talent. I agree with, Sonny, and as usual, not with JDM. Work ethic is the difference between being simply good and being elite.

Clowney "loafing" (like when he was "sick" AKA hung over) was still just had his way with whoever was blocking him this season. And offenses game-planned away from him & rarely let anyone block him without help.

Clowney is one of the safest bests you'll ever see in the NFL draft. And people saying Mack is better are clueless (I'm looking at you Mike Mayock). People (well one attention-grabbing tool) saying Sam is better are (is) just lying.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clowney "loafing" (like when he was "sick" AKA hung over) was still just had his way with whoever was blocking him this season. And offenses game-planned away from him & rarely let anyone block him without help.

Clowney is one of the safest bests you'll ever see in the NFL draft. And people saying Mack is better are clueless (I'm looking at you Mike Mayock). People (well one attention-grabbing tool) saying Sam is better are (is) just lying.

Is anyone here saying Mack is better? Without even looking thru this thread I venture the answer is hell no. Folks just have their doubts about Clowney living up to his hype, given that he doesn't appear driven.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, Sickness, I realize you're in love with him. That has been well documented but I on the other-hand, am not sold on him ending up as an elite player. When I say bust, I just mean not the player he is capable of being.

We will both find put in the not to distant future. If he isn't a Reggie White level player he is a bust. The talent is all there. Maybe he wasn't taking plays off and was just tired and a little out of shape. I've been wrong before and I will be again.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Football is just like anything else, maximum effort will take you farther than god given talent.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he isn't a Reggie White level player he is a bust. The talent is all there. Maybe he wasn't taking plays off and was just tired and a little out of shape. I've been wrong before and I will be again.

So if he isn't an all-time great type of player, he is a bust? Some people are delusional & irrational with their standards. If turns into a double digit sack guy year in & year out, that will more than justify his top 5 selection.

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except he didnt say that, at least not in that segment that i saw. He was saying he would not draft clowney where he will go, and would rather have sam at his value in the draft. I dont agree or disagree but some people seem to have heard something different or not heard it at all.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if he isn't an all-time great type of player, he is a bust? Some people are delusional & irrational with their standards. If turns into a double digit sack guy year in & year out, that will more than justify his top 5 selection.

Judging from what some of you people think of the guy, I might even suggest he had better be able to walk on water or I'll consider him a bust.

What you are talking about is pure silliness. Clowney is being touted as the most incredible player in the history of the known universe. I've never seen such hype for a player off of one huge hit. I hope he pans out for you guys.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are talking about is pure silliness. Clowney is being touted as the most incredible player in the history of the known universe. I've never seen such hype for a player off of one huge hit. I hope he pans out for you guys.

Correction, he is being touted as the top college prospect to come out in a long time. Hype is the name of the game. But there is substance behind the hype. There is a track record to go along with the hype. You can use 2013 to define him all you want, but most people admit that 2013 was just a walk-through for him. Because of the circumstances, I won't hold 2013 against or point to it as sign of things to come. He would have been the #1 pick in the 2013 draft.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction, he is being touted as the top college prospect to come out in a long time. Hype is the name of the game. But there is substance behind the hype. There is a track record to go along with the hype. You can use 2013 to define him all you want, but most people admit that 2013 was just a walk-through for him. Because of the circumstances, I won't hold 2013 against or point to it as sign of things to come. He would have been the #1 pick in the 2013 draft.

There is no correction to be made. What I stated was correct. What you do or do not hold against him is irrelevant. If he becomes the greatest human player in the history of the world, he will have lived up to the hype. If not, well then he's a bust.