• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mel Tucker gets a 1 year reprive

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel will be the DC for the 2014 season. Thoughts....!

:omg:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most figured this would happen at this point.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good and bad I suppose.as long as the notion is he gets fired if the defense isn't average at worst. It shows loyalty to other coaches they may be offered jobs here. The line coach and linebackers coach got the axe. Injuries were the big reason. Not the only one though and should be taken into consderation. Can't wait for free agency and the draft...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get why Mel was even hired in the first place? His game plans were horrible at best. He could not adjust, he could not take away the other teams best players. Sure this year all the in jury's hurt us but when did this guy earn a DC position with our Bears. The combo of in jury's and bad coaching both killed us. Who brought Mel aboard? Tman or Emory. Anyone know?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beats the hell outta me

I still don't get why Mel was even hired in the first place? His game plans were horrible at best. He could not adjust, he could not take away the other teams best players. Sure this year all the in jury's hurt us but when did this guy earn a DC position with our Bears. The combo of in jury's and bad coaching both killed us. Who brought Mel aboard? Tman or Emory. Anyone know?

Im still trying to figure out why Bob Babich and Steve Drake were hired and never fired. Seriously though I hope the HC picked his own staff.....seriously:omg:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody can say why tucker was hired. He was terrible in jacksonville, had decent players here and the defense was still terrible before the injuries happened.

Cant blame the rookies because Joe Anderson was overshooting gaps just like the rookies were so it surely seemed like it was all coaching. A couple guys spoke up for tucker, Jennings was one of them, Peppers, Briggs, Tillman, Conte, Wright, not so much.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am not happy about Tucker, I am one to at least give him a shot with an actual complete roster, not one with so many injured starters. No one would have succeeded with that mess. Let me see what happens next season. He's lucky in a way, because now Emery has a shot of helping him shore up some holes, a luxury he didn't have this past year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody can say why tucker was hired. He was terrible in jacksonville, had decent players here and the defense was still terrible before the injuries happened.

Cant blame the rookies because Joe Anderson was overshooting gaps just like the rookies were so it surely seemed like it was all coaching. A couple guys spoke up for tucker, Jennings was one of them, Peppers, Briggs, Tillman, Conte, Wright, not so much.

Conte and Wright are in no position to tell anyone what they should be doing. So, there's the reason for that.

Tillman and Peppers could very well be on their way out. So I'm sure that's the least of their worries.

And Joe Anderson is a WR and SPT's player, so I'm not sure how he's overshooting gaps on defense.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts. He was brought in to be the DC . He had to learn Lovies terminology . But to my understanding, could run the D as he saw fit. His BS is unacceptable in my book. When our D was somewhat healthy, they were still below our (Chicago Bears ) standard.
Every 1 of the oppositions best players had big days vs our D. Something I'm not accustomed to.
And Fuck the injury excuse. Good coaches get bye w/ what they have.
Mel isn't 1 of them.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conte and Wright are in no position to tell anyone what they should be doing. So, there's the reason for that.

Tillman and Peppers could very well be on their way out. So I'm sure that's the least of their worries.

And Joe Anderson is a WR and SPT's player, so I'm not sure how he's overshooting gaps on defense.

Isnt it funny how Conte and Wright were up and coming safeties in this league before last season? How they were more than servicable under lovies calling of the defense? What happened? They along with the rest of the players got stupid.

And yeah, James Anderson, you know who I meant oh great one.

This is just delaying the inevitable after another bad season with more excuses next year.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger scarier problem, we now have Shea, Bostic and Greene going to camp to challenge for 1 spot. OLB

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger scarier problem, we now have Shea, Bostic and Greene going to camp to challenge for 1 spot. OLB

Shea would be more of a rushing linebacker in this hybrid system and you are counting on Briggs coming back.

You know, maybe these veterans that we all want to stay are the ones that were stubborn to learn the new schemes. Either way, maybe the new linebacker coach will be able to get bostic going in the middle. I dont think we are gonna depend on DJ williams to play all next year if he signs again. He was looking for a year deal to get paid big for his final deal, he has been in the league 8-9 years. He might have that opportunity elsewhere. I still thought Shea would have been able to replace urlacher in the middle if they didnt have this running back 20 yards to cover the middle of the field. That was the help that Conte and Wright did not get this year.

Greene, Bostic, Shea and Briggs should be the only linebackers on the roster when free agency starts. Both Shea and Bostic are being called weak side, so that should not have them resigning Anderson.

Noticed Mantei Teo ended up with 4 more tackles than Bostic this year, Bostic had one sack. Still should have moved up to get him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Isnt it funny how Conte and Wright were up and coming safeties in this league before last season? How they were more than servicable under lovies calling of the defense? What happened?

This points to the fact that the problems with the defense are not the secondary. It's the front 7. Conte and Wright are mediocre safeties, but if the front 7 was in decent shape, you wouldn't notice them as much. It's hard to play safety when the linebackers in front of you are screwing everything up.

This is the dilemma for this draft...look, I get it, we really need to draft a cornerback, and it would certainly not hurt to draft a safety as well, but the problem is that it isn't going to fix the defense to do so.

What makes this really interesting is that Emery sure is starting to talk like a guy thinking really hard about a switch to a 3-4. If so, the need to spend on the front 7 gets even greater.

I think he's already leaning in the 3-4 direction. I think he tries out Shea, Briggs, Bostic, and who knows as the other ILB. If we switch to 3-4 I am sure Peppers is gone (he may well be anyway). I'd bet he resigns Wootton, and we have Paea, and Henry Melton becomes a little more expendable even if his recovery is going well. We would virtually HAVE to draft a DT first round, and they would need to draft a prototypical 3-4 left defensive end as well.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This points to the fact that the problems with the defense are not the secondary. It's the front 7. Conte and Wright are mediocre safeties, but if the front 7 was in decent shape, you wouldn't notice them as much. It's hard to play safety when the linebackers in front of you are screwing everything up.

This is the dilemma for this draft...look, I get it, we really need to draft a cornerback, and it would certainly not hurt to draft a safety as well, but the problem is that it isn't going to fix the defense to do so.

What makes this really interesting is that Emery sure is starting to talk like a guy thinking really hard about a switch to a 3-4. If so, the need to spend on the front 7 gets even greater.

I think he's already leaning in the 3-4 direction. I think he tries out Shea, Briggs, Bostic, and who knows as the other ILB. If we switch to 3-4 I am sure Peppers is gone (he may well be anyway). I'd bet he resigns Wootton, and we have Paea, and Henry Melton becomes a little more expendable even if his recovery is going well. We would virtually HAVE to draft a DT first round, and they would need to draft a prototypical 3-4 left defensive end as well.

3-4 or hybrid. Either way. Corey Wooten is having hip surgery. He said he struggled thru the pain and going to the three technique helped mask his issue. We all know, we need bigger ends and a nose tackle to play 3-4. well, does not seem like we have many linemen signed as it is, so its one less position to fill only needing three not four or should I say 6 not 8.

Like I say, these guys did not just forget how to play football and if you dont have an urlacher covering the middle of the field, I doubt you are gonna find one and its time to change.

The thing I agreed with last off season was leave the defense alone since the players knew it and its the style Tucker ran (badly) in jacksonville. After the third game, there needed to be changes made. Now its 3-4 or hybrid, you gotta wonder how qualified the cover two guy Tucker will be running and designing it.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noticed Mantei Teo ended up with 4 more tackles than Bostic this year, Bostic had one sack. Still should have moved up to get him.

REALLY...???? He had 48 tackles to Bostic's 45. Teo started 12 games to Bostic's 9....He had no turnovers....period. Bostic had a int. and a fumble recovery. Plus a sack. Teo sucked and he was drafted too high to begin with.....screw that guy. You would make a bad GM

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this morning our local expert Brad Biggs was on the score and said the bears want to keep tucker and have highlighted the pittsburg game as how they want to play defense, where they blitzed almost half the time. What they didnt mention was that they still gave up 490 yards and 200 to one receiver when the majority of the team was still healthy.

again, why did peppers lose his fire, what happened to these up and coming safeties we had two years ago? Its starting to sound like they need to keep Tucker around to keep the pressure off Emery and Trestman having their heads called for after a similar season.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
REALLY...???? He had 48 tackles to Bostic's 45. Teo started 12 games to Bostic's 9....He had no turnovers....period. Bostic had a int. and a fumble recovery. Plus a sack. Teo sucked and he was drafted too high to begin with.....screw that guy. You would make a bad GM

Too soon?

Does anyone remember laughter?