• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McBath to IR

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Robinson was in much better position to make the team than McBath, Robinson was in both races but McBath was buried on the depth chart.

My question is that with McBath done, does Eric Reid finally get a permanent number and take #28? I just don't like the temporary number thing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought Robinson was in much better position to make the team than McBath, Robinson was in both races but McBath was buried on the depth chart.

My question is that with McBath done, does Eric Reid finally get a permanent number and take #28? I just don't like the temporary number thing.

Yeah, I forgot about Dahl. He's probably Robinson's biggest competition, if we only go with four safeties. McBath probably was outside looking in, anyway.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I forgot about Dahl. He's probably Robinson's biggest competition, if we only go with four safeties. McBath probably was outside looking in, anyway.

Yeah McBath was in a terrible position to begin with, he was in a worse position than Robinson who also is in a poor position. Robinson still has to battle Dahl (who can play both positions) and Spillman who also can play both positions and just happens to be one of our special teams leaders. Reid and Whitner are starters, so unless we keep 5 safeties, he is getting cut.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah McBath was in a terrible position to begin with, he was in a worse position than Robinson who also is in a poor position. Robinson still has to battle Dahl (who can play both positions) and Spillman who also can play both positions and just happens to be one of our special teams leaders. Reid and Whitner are starters, so unless we keep 5 safeties, he is getting cut.

I think there's a decent chance we keep five. Whitner is likely gone next year, and neither Dahl nor Spillman has much long-term starting potential.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a decent chance we keep five. Whitner is likely gone next year, and neither Dahl nor Spillman has much long-term starting potential.

I honestly don't think any of them have starting potential, they are all back ups and I like Dahl best as a back up followed by Spillman. We will be looking for a new starting SS next year.

But do you think we would keep 5 safeties with the chance of us keeping 6 CB's?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That worked out for McBath's wallet. For the final number a lot will depend on how many WR's, OLB's, and CB's are kept. Safeties can be very expendable. Spillman has a ST's spot carved out. If we end up keeping 5 safeties, both backups need to be better than Spillman. I don't see a lot of upside in Robinson to factor into the final decision. Whitner's on his last legs though, and you never really know what you have in a rookie until the season. Maybe they go with one less WR to start the season knowing that Manningham's coming back, and then release the extra safety at that point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I honestly don't think any of them have starting potential, they are all back ups and I like Dahl best as a back up followed by Spillman. We will be looking for a new starting SS next year.

But do you think we would keep 5 safeties with the chance of us keeping 6 CB's?

I'd think five at each position would be more likely. Though six and four might make the most sense. Robinson does have PS eligibility, though I'd think another team might take a shot at him.

In a perfect world, we might see Robinson take over at FS and move Reid into more of a SS role next year, but I've never heard particularly favorable reviews of Robinson's play.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd love it if we draft a FS earlier next year and can move Reid to SS. Ideally someone with similar versatility who can cover better. Culliver could potentially be moved after this year which is another reason for keeping less safeties around. If he's targeted and struggles again I could easily see that happen.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This conversation has reminded me of what a disappointment Reggie Smith was. He should have been one of our starting safeties at this point. Ugh.

As for Robinson, I'm not sold on him as a starter by any means, but on paper he's got some ability. He's on the small side, but he's got very long arms, ran in the 4.4s or low 4.5s, and did pretty well on the jumps. His scouting report coming out had him playing pretty well both in coverage and against the run. I like Spillman a lot on STs - his occasional mental lapses aside - but he doesn't seem to have the instincts for safety.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd love it if we draft a FS earlier next year and can move Reid to SS. Ideally someone with similar versatility who can cover better. Culliver could potentially be moved after this year which is another reason for keeping less safeties around. If he's targeted and struggles again I could easily see that happen.

Yeah, that's probably what will happen. I'd just love to avoid using a high pick on safety again. Especially when we're already going to use one or two on CB. Hopefully we'll have two second rounders and three thirds, though.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This conversation has reminded me of what a disappointment Reggie Smith was. He should have been one of our starting safeties at this point. Ugh.

As for Robinson, I'm not sold on him as a starter by any means, but on paper he's got some ability. He's on the small side, but he's got very long arms, ran in the 4.4s or low 4.5s, and did pretty well on the jumps. His scouting report coming out had him playing pretty well both in coverage and against the run. I like Spillman a lot on STs - his occasional mental lapses aside - but he doesn't seem to have the instincts for safety.

I think if he would have stayed he would have. Not sure why he left but I think if he would have stayed he would be the starter at FS & Reid would start at SS and we would have moved on from Whitner.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spill man always struck me as maybe being a good hard hitting strong safety. I know he is known more for ST work but anybody think spill man has a shot of earning that SS role after Whitner is gone?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. He should have been a starter but just struggled to stay healthy. Once Goldson came back it was pretty much over for him.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reggie Smith at one point had the starting job locked down in training camp following the Mays debacle when Goldson held out, but then Goldson surprisingly returned and he was relegated to obscurity. If circumstances were different he may have turned into a good player but his chance evaporated. I'm surprised he didn't catch on with the Panthers, and now I'd be surprised if he ever recovers. If we draft another safety early, then it's a very similar situation for Robinson who was also a lower draft pick.

Spillman is an awesome ST player. He scares the heck out of me as a safety even with his physical abilities. If he's forced out on the field for an extended period of time, teams will test him heavily and likely have success when he's out of position. I'd be much more comfortable switching a player like Culliver back to S and let Spillman do his thing on ST's.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie Smith at one point had the starting job locked down in training camp following the Mays debacle when Goldson held out, but then Goldson surprisingly returned and he was relegated to obscurity. If circumstances were different he may have turned into a good player but his chance evaporated. I'm surprised he didn't catch on with the Panthers, and now I'd be surprised if he ever recovers. If we draft another safety early, then it's a very similar situation for Robinson who was also a lower draft pick.

Spillman is an awesome ST player. He scares the heck out of me as a safety even with his physical abilities. If he's forced out on the field for an extended period of time, teams will test him heavily and likely have success when he's out of position. I'd be much more comfortable switching a player like Culliver back to S and let Spillman do his thing on ST's.

He had is locked up but Goldson signed a one year deal with us, he wasn't even holding out, he was looking for a contract for someone. We were his best suitor so he returned. But you are right when he returned, that sort of sealed Smith's fate.