• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL Guillotine

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changed my bids a dozen times. Finally decided I wanted Jefferson, no matter the cost. Since I have Addison figured no other add that I could make, would make more sense.

Kinda my pre draft plan to be light at WR with the hope of adding an elite guy early on.

That’s it for me on elite guys though. Unless I make it till all rosters are elite guys.

Would’ve got Pittman with my bid too. lol

its really a no loss situation... if you really think about it...

if you lose, who cares, you were going to lose no matter what, and its better to lose when you feel like you tried, than to lose and have all your money left...

if you survive, nobody is going to have enough money early on to get 2 elite players... we will only be able to get one every week as an owner goes down... we have 7 weeks before we even get to a 12 team league... and once you spend money on one stud, you wont have money for another...

so there really is no reason NOT to go all out... and now you also set the price for future studs!!!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its really a no loss situation... if you really think about it...

if you lose, who cares, you were going to lose no matter what, and its better to lose when you feel like you tried, than to lose and have all your money left...

if you survive, nobody is going to have enough money early on to get 2 elite players... we will only be able to get one every week as an owner goes down... we have 7 weeks before we even get to a 12 team league... and once you spend money on one stud, you wont have money for another...

so there really is no reason NOT to go all out... and now you also set the price for future studs!!!
Part of me wishes I still had the $47 dollars left from when I made my second to last bid.

But who that makes a difference was going to cost $47?

We’re on the same page here.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me wishes I still had the $47 dollars left from when I made my second to last bid.

But who that makes a difference was going to cost $47?

We’re on the same page here.
Last year I blew a ton of my money early on. For the most part it worked out well for me, finishing 2nd.

To begin this season, I kinda went frugal.

This is not my usual modus operandi. :noidea::noidea::noidea:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the third least money. Damn! I had to snag a RB with CMC out but looks like I could of went cheaper. It appears most folks are saving their pennies early on. Shoot I was hoping for more money spent by other teams.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year I blew a ton of my money early on. For the most part it worked out well for me, finishing 2nd.

Yeah I had you down as most likely to grab Jefferson and damn the cost.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I had you down as most likely to grab Jefferson and damn the cost.
For whatever reason, I didn't bid on Jefferson or Pittman.

Went $301 for Aaron Jones and @SmokingMonkey beat me by two bucks.

Whatever, I needed a QB and kinda liked getting Alec Pierce for nothin'.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a lot... but i get it... he is not confident his team will not get eliminated soon... Jefferson makes it harder, and the longer you survive the easier it will be to add good players...

if he does get kicked out this week, then spending it all doesnt matter!!!

You almost can’t win if you spend all your money right away.

Have to get incredibly lucky.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You almost can’t win if you spend all your money right away.

Have to get incredibly lucky.

huh?? 100% disagree... its really a bad point all together, because if a team that spends does lose, it is not because they spent...

but you do realize early on there is going to only be atleast one stud per week available, and that one stud will be expensive... nobody will be able to pay for multiple ones...

and we do have a 0 minimum, and FCFS afterwards...

once we are down to 10 teams or less, every team is going to be loaded no matter what... as there will be good players always available...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the way i see it there are 2 optimum strategies in this

1. Spend, and get your stud early

2. dont spend anything, odds are you will survive the week anyway... this week everyone has a 17/18 chance of surviving!!! next is 16/17

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the way i see it there are 2 optimum strategies in this

1. Spend, and get your stud early

2. dont spend anything, odds are you will survive the week anyway... this week everyone has a 17/18 chance of surviving!!! next is 16/17

No factoring in injuries or other circumstances?

No cake for you!

giphy - 2024-09-11T151113.076.gif

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No factoring in injuries or other circumstances?

No cake for you!

View attachment 373757

until we get to 12, teams are all going to have holes... no matter what... and minor moves are going to be available at minimum cost or FCFS...

injury replacements are tough to fill because you are going to be tempted to pay, but you really shouldnt... unless the player is out for a LONG time...

yes... this is all my opinion... I just like the strategy behind the game more than the game itself... in no way am i saying other strategies wont work...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I skimmed through the back pages of the thread looking for guidance.

And you dropping a pile early and making it all the way to the end definitely helped sell me on the idea.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
until we get to 12, teams are all going to have holes... no matter what

Miracle On 34Th Street Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huh?? 100% disagree... its really a bad point all together, because if a team that spends does lose, it is not because they spent...

but you do realize early on there is going to only be atleast one stud per week available, and that one stud will be expensive... nobody will be able to pay for multiple ones...

and we do have a 0 minimum, and FCFS afterwards...

once we are down to 10 teams or less, every team is going to be loaded no matter what... as there will be good players always available...
The problem is if you’re down to two teams, the other team, with the exception of a stud you drafted and the one you bought, can outbid you on every remaining player and lock up almost all of the top-12 RBs and top-12 WRs, meaning (from a 12-team league perspective) you’d be fielding a squad of RB2s and WR2s (with a stud or two) against a squad of RB1s and WR1s.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I skimmed through the back pages of the thread looking for guidance.

And you dropping a pile early and making it all the way to the end definitely helped sell me on the idea.
For this you get good cake.

Btw, I know you are beating my ass in the MBBRL Baseball playoffs, just been too busy to acknowledge it yet. ;)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is if you’re down to two teams, the other team, with the exception of a stud you drafted and the one you bought, can outbid you on every remaining player and lock up almost all of the top-12 RBs and top-12 WRs, meaning (from a 12-team league perspective) you’d be fielding a squad of RB2s and WR2s (with a stud or two) against a squad of RB1s and WR1s.

If you are final 2 you are going to be stacked. No matter what. And if you need to manage for the next week you should. So I don’t see this being an issue at all

Also, do we lose the bench??

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are final 2 you are going to be stacked. No matter what. And if you need to manage for the next week you should. So I don’t see this being an issue at all

Also, do we lose the bench??
I was counting on the bench. A wise owner would just bid a buck for every stud and park them.

(Again, this from a novice guillotiner.)