• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matteau dismissed by JR Team in Middle of Playoffs

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's the information that's come out so far:

Note: The team's GM is going to have a conference tomorrow to explain the situation

- Matteau was benched earlier in the season because as we all know, he plays with an edge. (From my personal experience, College and JR are very strict when it comes to calling penalties, substantially more so than the NHL)

- Matteau's team is down 0-2 after losing yesterday's game.

- Apparently Matteau was benched in yesterday's game after he was called for a slashing minor. Matteau's team killed the penalty but the opposition scored about 10-15 seconds after the successful kill (reports differ on the timing).

- After the game Matteau apparently "quit" the team and didn't even travel with them back home. He took a fan bus according to reports.

Personal Observations:

- Matteau was having a pretty good playoff stats wise. Not sure what the deal with the coach was.

- He is only 18, so this was obviously a hot headed reaction.

- Before we crush the kid for this let's remember that Kovy did the exact same thing to JMac. Langenbrunner to Lemaire, and Elias to Sutter. These coach/player things happen at every level. Obviously the Devils players didn't bolt the team for many obvious reasons.

- The articles are already pointing out that the Devils may have made a heinous mistake by drafting this kid because now they'll have to definitely give up a pick in 2014.

- Obviously the speculation is since the Devils were not good this season this trend may continue and they might be even worse in 2014 where they won't get a 1st round pick.

- On a personal note, I think that it's easy to make that call now in hindsight, however, keep in mind that when Lou opted to keep the pick he was obviously still pretty convinced that we were going to be able to keep Parise, and we had just come one crossbar away in game 1 & 2 and one major penalty away from winning the cup. Obviously no foresaw the NJD current predicament even 45 days ago when they started the season with a franchise best 10 game start.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
add this to the list of other players with questionable situations.

i think merrill was susspended for assault?

someone else was arrested for sexual assault

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Merrill was suspended for violating a team rule.

Ben Johnson was/is being charged with a sexual assault. I believe the investigation is ongoing.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
in reading the end of your first post....it was the wrong call to keep the pick once they made the finals. heck even if they won the cup they should've given the pick up. you want to give up the highest possible pick and 29th is the next to last. they should've given it up then considering that only winning the cup would've put them in a better spot to give up the pick. now like you mention this kid has a huge cloud over him and so will lou and conte and the team. if they get off to a 0-5 start next year watch out!

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as how matteau has a contract already I bet his ass is getting traded. Cormier 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you always trade picks for proven players.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seeing as how matteau has a contract already I bet his ass is getting traded. Cormier 2.0

i dont know what to think of this. i thought the devils dont tolerate this kind of childish stuff? then again the scouting department and lou are usually on top of their interviews and character assessments? so what one failed us on here?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is why you always trade picks for proven players.

always what i say.

hey if that pick/prospect turns out to be someone great you can always try to trade for him again or SIGN HIM AS A UFA.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to his agent, he was released. He didn't quit.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
thats still pretty bad being a first round draft pick and your team is in the playoffs. also his dad is the assistant head coach. i know they are trying to do right by him and put a good spin on it but its bad looking all around.

its not going to tarnish him its just going to magnify the spotlight hes going to have on him

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Obviously no one really has the whole story in any of the reports, but I'm seeing things varying from Matteau was speared and retaliated with a slash and the coach benched him for that. Obviously this coach has been rough on him. I wonder if that's one of the reasons why he was kept here so long the the NHL level guys could get some time with him.

As mentioned above, his agent said that he didn't quit but the team released him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I mean I guess this can't be good, but I have no idea what was said, how it all really played out so it's tough to say what to make of this. If he's at training camp next season and playing well then who cares?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i dont think its a big deal but its just really a situation you dont want to be reading about

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree, it's really unfortunate, I'm not entirely sure how this works with him playing next year. I believe you need to be 20 to play in the AHL unless you come from Europe/RUS, so I guess he'll find another JR team.