• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Williams to Manage the Washington Nationals

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck and congrats to Matt Williams who will be taking over the Nationals which is a young up and coming good team. He has a shot to jump right into the playoffs next year.

The BIG Marine !

:clap:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matheny
Melvin
Williams
Black

Who am I forgetting?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll always wonder what would have happened in 1994. MW had 43 HR's through 115 games, then the strike hit. He was on pace to threaten Maris's (at the time) single-season HR mark of 61.

We'll never know. I seem to recall, however, that there was little discussion at the time of it.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll always wonder what would have happened in 1994. MW had 43 HR's through 115 games, then the strike hit. He was on pace to threaten Maris's (at the time) single-season HR mark of 61.

We'll never know. I seem to recall, however, that there was little discussion at the time of it.

There were a whole bunch of great stories that got quashed. Frank Thomas had a good shot at the triple crown. The Expos (!) had the best record in baseball. What a disaster.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few months ago, Kuip half-joked that Williams might want Krukow as a pitching coach, if MW landed a managerial job. That is a good, young staff on a quality team with a great ballpark. It's obvious that Kruk loves his current occupation and the West Coast (pretty sure all of his kids are still on this side of the country, too), but do you think he gets the offer or considers it?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was never a record thought to be breakable at that time. Just something fun to track. Matt Williams was awesome that year. All the kids were emulating the rubbing your nose on the shoulder thing he did.

Very underrated defensive player at 3B

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few months ago, Kuip half-joked that Williams might want Krukow as a pitching coach, if MW landed a managerial job. That is a good, young staff on a quality team with a great ballpark. It's obvious that Kruk loves his current occupation and the West Coast (pretty sure all of his kids are still on this side of the country, too), but do you think he gets the offer or considers it?

I would think it would be tough for the Nats to match what the Giants are paying him. I have no idea what he makes, but he is generally considered one of the best local broadcasters in the game, and I doubt the G's would LET him walk (meaning they will respond with an above-competitive offer to retain him).

He also has HOF talent behind the mic, so why mess with that kind of legacy?

While I have no idea what his dreams are, I would be SHOCKED if he were to move to another org and take an on-field position.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think it would be tough for the Nats to match what the Giants are paying him. I have no idea what he makes, but he is generally considered one of the best local broadcasters in the game, and I doubt the G's would LET him walk (meaning they will respond with an above-competitive offer to retain him).

While I have no idea what his dreams are, I would be SHOCKED if he were to move to another org and take an on-field position.

He has the knowledge but his personality is perfect for the broadcast booth.

Even as a just a fan, his rah rah attitude can get worn a bit

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back when Bob Brenly was hired in Arizona I heard he wanted Krukow to be his pitching coach. Brenly and Krukow are good friends and he turned him down. Back then he as making a lot less money to be a Giants color man . It seems like he does not want to change jobs and it would not be the same without him and Kuiper together if he leaves. If he leaves to coach he will probably lose his chance at the Ford Frick Award and HOF down the road someday.

Krukow seems to be locked in to the Orange & Black forever. I hope he stays. He would be a terrific coach though. He has a great feel on how to talk to players and for the game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brenly, Spier, and Thompson for three...

They are not current managers. If we are to include all managers, past and present, then YIKES!!

And Robby never actually had the title, did he? I know he is a bench coach and has filled in for specific games, but he was never "The Guy". Was he?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think that the Giants are paying him a penny. Isn't his employer CSN?