• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Flynn

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy was unable to Groom Brohm because its hard to polish a turd. Flynn shows potential and for a reasonable contract 4-6 mill a year I would make a move for him. That being said his price is will likely be much higher than that. And he has not had enough playing time to warrant the price. Like Cassel's year at New England how much is the system, talent, coaching around him vs how much is the player.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kolb had played in 19 games prior to being traded. We have only really seen Flynn in about 3 games. You think teams will be willing to give him that big of a contract based on that? There are a ton of QB's in this draft. Who do you think would give him that type of deal?

Kolb was also traded. You have to consider that as part of his cost as well. Regardless, Flynn showed more in one game than Kolb did in all of his starts in Philly. I highly doubt Flynn is getting less than what Kolb got. He was already getting a lot of talk BEFORE this game.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Matt Flynn has made very little money being a 7th round QB. Nobody is gonna be clambering for a QB based on 1000yards over a few games over 2 years.

GB is not gonna tag him. Flynn would take that 15mil to the bank. No reason to give a discount to the new team unless you want to guarantee him 25mil.

So to the FA thing. He is gonna go to the team that offers him the most money. Won't be the 49ers. He is gonna be 27, if he flames out he likely won't get that real 2nd chance. It will go to the new hot shot.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kolb was also traded. You have to consider that as part of his cost as well. Regardless, Flynn showed more in one game than Kolb did in all of his starts in Philly. I highly doubt Flynn is getting less than what Kolb got. He was already getting a lot of talk BEFORE this game.

I suppose that's true. I was never a big Kolb fan either way, but Flynn really lit it up today beating Stafford in a shoot out. That's going to get some teams drooling. Still, it is just one game and the Packers have a great offense in place for him to step in.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks like Green Bay is not really missing much on offense with Rodgers on the bench which raises the question. How much of their offense is really Rodgers? Is Matt Flynn just that good or is the entire Green Bay offense because of great play calling and WR's who can make plays?

I doubt this does much to hurt Rodgers chances at the MVP, but it makes me wonder how much of that team is because of him when his backup steps in and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Great points. I posed the question awhile back about why our passing game was so mediocre: wr, o-line, play calling, or qb. Put Flynns game up as showing just how important wr and play calling are. 6 tds and 480 yards. Hall of Fame numbers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great points. I posed the question awhile back about why our passing game was so mediocre: wr, o-line, play calling, or qb. Put Flynns game up as showing just how important wr and play calling are. 6 tds and 480 yards. Hall of Fame numbers.

Harbaugh SHOULD play to the strength of his offense, so "mediocre" is attributed to "all of the above". we might take out 'play calling' but we don't need to go there now.

it STARTS at QB, ie you play to the strength of your QB first.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh SHOULD play to the strength of his offense, so "mediocre" is attributed to "all of the above". we might take out 'play calling' but we don't need to go there now.

it STARTS at QB, ie you play to the strength of your QB first.

This is an interesting concept when you step back a look at it. It almost becomes a chicken & egg riddle.

When we look back at the 49ers of the late '70s, clearly Bill Walsh had his system and looked for a QB to fit and run his system. So in that circumstance, the system came first.

The 49ers of today already had a quarterback that I believe Harbaugh & Roman had to design a system to fit his strengths (or weaknesses depending on your perspective). So, here I believe the QB came first.

When McCarthy arrived in GB Fav-Ree was the starter with Rodgers on the bench; thus, the question is, did Rodgers fit McCarthy's system better or did he simply out perform Fav-Ree in the existing system?

I'll cast a vote that it could go either way depending on circumstance. However, if the system does come first and Kap fits the expectations of our system of the future. Then Harbaugh & Roman have something in mind for our offense that is quite different than what we saw this year. IMO.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy was unable to Groom Brohm because its hard to polish a turd. Flynn shows potential and for a reasonable contract 4-6 mill a year I would make a move for him. That being said his price is will likely be much higher than that. And he has not had enough playing time to warrant the price. Like Cassel's year at New England how much is the system, talent, coaching around him vs how much is the player.

Not only Cassel. I think its fair to throw in the 49ers contribution to backups looking better than they actually are thanks to the whole team. Bono and Grbac. Until proven otherwise, I always lean towards these guys being not much better than Bono or Grbac. Until Flynn goes to a team that is fielding WRs as unimpressive as the 49ers and still succeeds, I'm not interested at all.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting concept when you step back a look at it. It almost becomes a chicken & egg riddle.

When we look back at the 49ers of the late '70s, clearly Bill Walsh had his system and looked for a QB to fit and run his system. So in that circumstance, the system came first.

The 49ers of today already had a quarterback that I believe Harbaugh & Roman had to design a system to fit his strengths (or weaknesses depending on your perspective). So, here I believe the QB came first.

When McCarthy arrived in GB Fav-Ree was the starter with Rodgers on the bench; thus, the question is, did Rodgers fit McCarthy's system better or did he simply out perform Fav-Ree in the existing system?

I'll cast a vote that it could go either way depending on circumstance. However, if the system does come first and Kap fits the expectations of our system of the future. Then Harbaugh & Roman have something in mind for our offense that is quite different than what we saw this year. IMO.

anyone can run harbaugh's system. all u need to do is hand the ball off

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yeah, there are circumstances new Head Coaches fall into, Peyton Manning is an extreme example. however, in this case Alex Smith was NOT under contract and free to go? Harbaugh had his system and saw Alex Smith as the QB who fit. the system came first and he pursued the QB.

most find it hard to believe Alex Smith is our future, but we also know Harbaugh sees it otherwise.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, there are circumstances new Head Coaches fall into, Peyton Manning is an extreme example. however, in this case Alex Smith was NOT under contract and free to go? Harbaugh had his system and saw Alex Smith as the QB who fit. the system came first and he pursued the QB.

most find it hard to believe Alex Smith is our future, but we also know Harbaugh sees it otherwise.

I don't know that Harbaugh sees it otherwise. Most of us see Smith as our present. That's what Harbaugh sees.

He decided to pursue Smith because other options were slim, and he still pursued Hasselbeck.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If you are suggesting that Harbaugh believes Smith is our future, then I have to respectfully disagree.

Given the circumstances Harbaugh came into, I'm not sure Harbaugh saw Alex as a QB that 'fit his system' as much as he saw him as a QB he would have to make 'work in his system'.

At some point even Alex has to look around at what is going on with offenses in the NFL and realize that sooner rather than later we are simply going need more than what his current skill-set would suggest he has to offer.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u make it sound like alex smith is ken dorsey

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Flynn - QB - Packers

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests the Packers placing the franchise tag on impending free agent Matt Flynn is a realistic possibility, with the intent being to trade Flynn after he signs the one-year tender.
The one-year tender will be worth over $14 million and is fully guaranteed, so GM Ted Thompson would be taking a salary-cap risk by tagging Flynn. He'd also risk losing fellow impending free agent Jermichael Finley. It's interesting to note that one NFL agent who has represented a franchise player estimated Green Bay "could get a first-round pick at the minimum" and "maybe first- and third-round picks" for Flynn because of the need for quarterbacks around the NFL.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Jan 3 - 8:55 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell, impending free agent Matt Flynn's six-touchdown Week 17 game "generated a lot of buzz and positive chatter" in the Redskins' organization.
The Redskins might be the Packers' ideal target for a sign-and-trade scenario if Flynn is indeed franchise tagged, because Washington has a documented history of making blockbuster-type moves. They've been much more well-run since GM Bruce Allen came into the picture two years ago, however. Flynn does make sense in D.C. because of his familiarity with a West Coast-style system.
Related: Redskins
Source: Chris Russell on Twitter
Jan 3 - 10:36 AM

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, the dude plays one game and gets all that money.... lol...

america...