• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Barrows Draft Crush 2014

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last season our redzone offense was 15th in the league while our total offense was 24th. If we have enough offense between the 20's then I would say we have more than enough in the redzone. What am I missing?

You sure you're not confusing 2013 with 2011?

I've brought this up in past threads, that the RZ offense has improved a lot under CK (still not where it could be, but a ton better than the AS lead offenses)... I don't know that I ever got a response from anyone other than it "appears" that they could be doing a lot more...

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just want Baalke to get the guy he REALLY wants, whether CB, WR, or other position. Baalke can't be influenced by how the general mocks place the players. if he trades up for Latimer, fine with me.

if no deal happens, then don't force a trade up. cause not worrying about the 30th pick, we'll still get a good player.

Baalke is going to get a guy that he really likes, no doubt about it. General mocks, the opinion of the media and our opinion hold no weight.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
MY 'draft crush' would be a quality pass rusher, closely followed by CB. but there doesn't appear to be a pass rusher we'd trade up for? so that leaves CB and not being a "draft-nik" by any means, don't know who fits us best?

so i'll just go with Gilbert and his long arms.

why CB? we have enough offense between the 20's, so wouldn't worry if we get that 'burner' or not. but we face good passing teams and good passers, who don't rely on quality WR's. as such, my opinion is lean towards pass defense vice pass offense. our pass offense comes down to Kaep really, not a 3rd WR who can stretch the field.

If a pass rusher is the priority, we could certainly consider moving up for Kony Ealy or Dee Ford. I think we'll look at CB or WR first, though, and address a pass rusher later on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke is going to get a guy that he really likes, no doubt about it. General mocks, the opinion of the media and our opinion hold no weight.

good, based on the Aldon Smith and AJ Jenkin picks, I guess so.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crimson, I totally have no idea. It's crazy what's happening right now. McCarron has even been told he'll go somewhere between 16-35. Kony Ealy is being talked about as a fringe 1st rounder when he seem destined to go in anywhere from 10-20. This draft process is so crazy.

McCarron's going that high??? Man, I can only see that if there's going to be another one of those stupid, crazy QB land-rushes that happen on occasion. And inevitably some guys get picked WAAAAAY too early as a result, and are virtually set up to fail.

I should add, it's not that I think McCarron's a bad prospect. But first round, strictly on the merits of talent alone? Just can't see it.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarron's going that high??? Man, I can only see that if there's going to be another one of those stupid, crazy QB land-rushes that happen on occasion. And inevitably some guys get picked WAAAAAY too early as a result, and are virtually set up to fail.

I should add, it's not that I think McCarron's a bad prospect. But first round, strictly on the merits of talent alone? Just can't see it.

Sure enough, just saw an NFL.com mock with McCarron at the top of the 2nd. Go figure.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure enough, just saw an NFL.com mock with McCarron at the top of the 2nd. Go figure.

why isn't McCarron more highly rated, because he isn't athletic? his measurable didn't stack up? he doesn't have a cannon of an arm? he isn't accurate?

if the reasons are specifically passing skills, then it makes sense. but wouldn't be too influenced by his measurable. the good NFL QB's start with good pocket passing, there's no way around it. even if he's a "statue", you can't hit'm high, and you can't hit'm low, rushers can't just lay into QB's anyway.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of the SEC QB's will be more than backups in the NFL. The best of the bunch is probably Murray, but he lacks the size NFL teams look for in their QB. McCarron and Mettenberger have the size, but both lack in athletic ability and never really stood out as elite passers to begin with in college. Manziel is a wild card because like Murry he lacks NFL size, but he has elite athletic ability and can make big plays happen. If any of them have a shot at being successful starter it's Manziel, but if he starts from day 1 it will be a long rollercoaster of ups and downs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think any of the SEC QB's will be more than backups in the NFL. The best of the bunch is probably Murray, but he lacks the size NFL teams look for in their QB. McCarron and Mettenberger have the size, but both lack in athletic ability and never really stood out as elite passers to begin with in college. Manziel is a wild card because like Murry he lacks NFL size, but he has elite athletic ability and can make big plays happen. If any of them have a shot at being successful starter it's Manziel, but if he starts from day 1 it will be a long rollercoaster of ups and downs.

oh ok, so McCarron isn't a quality passer.

yeah, with any QB prospect you have to start with passing ability, then go from there.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope someone not named Trent Baalke makes the mistake of drafting ODB high when they can get a better version of him (Jordan Matthews) lower.

I don't think Baalke should risk adding this guy...
220px-Ol%27_Dirty_Bastard.jpg

...when the team is already having trouble keeping Aldon on the straight & narrow.

(I couldn't resist)