• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mathis to Broncos

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least it's not the Hawks.

Yep. I didn't think he would end up there anyway. Mathis wants to get paid and he didn't leave that contract to get paid peanuts and Seattle no longer has the cap space.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I wish we landed him. 1 year 4 mill not bad at all. He would of helped a lot and not hurt our cap because it was for 1 year. Money will be free next year.

Now if someone wants to cut a RT that would be great. LOL

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I wish we landed him. 1 year 4 mill not bad at all. He would of helped a lot and not hurt our cap because it was for 1 year. Money will be free next year.

I understand why the team didn't pursue him. He is getting up there in age and we aren't competing for a title so stick with the young guys.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

We went over this IN DEPTH like three weeks ago. He would affect the amount of cap space we can roll over into next year, so it would hurt our cap. As said in the other thread, we aren't a SB contender unless everything breaks right for us. Mathis isn't going to be the difference maker. I'd just as soon see what we can get out of our young interior OL. OT is a different story, as we don't really have anything there.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went over this IN DEPTH like three weeks ago. He would affect the amount of cap space we can roll over into next year, so it would hurt our cap. As said in the other thread, we aren't a SB contender unless everything breaks right for us. Mathis isn't going to be the difference maker. I'd just as soon see what we can get out of our young interior OL. OT is a different story, as we don't really have anything there.
I know it does because we won't have extended money but overall its not a big deal. Its 4 mill for 1 years.

I just feel he would help this oline.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, in a vacuum, Mathis would help us. But how much? And at what cost? We need to be grooming our future OL. Mathis takes up cap space, he forces us to cut a youngster at a position where we actually do have some talented young players - granted who are struggling so far this year - and he doesn't correct arguably our biggest weakness which is still RT. With very good players at LT, LG, and RG last year, our offense was still a mess because our RT was garbage. Does that change with Pears at the spot?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, in a vacuum, Mathis would help us. But how much? And at what cost? We need to be grooming our future OL. Mathis takes up cap space, he forces us to cut a youngster at a position where we actually do have some talented young players - granted who are struggling so far this year - and he doesn't correct arguably our biggest weakness which is still RT. With very good players at LT, LG, and RG last year, our offense was still a mess because our RT was garbage. Does that change with Pears at the spot?
I think it would help, pears can at least run block. Baalke dropped the ball on this one this year. I don't get how he ignored this situation. he got lucky that the CB position is working out with the young guys because he ignored that to.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it would help, pears can at least run block. Baalke dropped the ball on this one this year. I don't get how he ignored this situation. he got lucky that the CB position is working out with the young guys because he ignored that to.

He didn't ignore the situation. During the opening stanza of FA and the draft, he thought he would have Kilgore back at C for opening day, Boone would hold down one of the OG spots, Thomas and Martin would be rolling and likely in competition for the other OG spot, and he thought RT was locked down by Anthony Davis. He added a backup RT. I can't say that was a terrible decision unless he can see into the future and predict Anthony Davis' retirement.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As for the CB position, he "ignored" it because of the young guys. Now you're faulting him for his draft picks seemingly panning out? Get a grip.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my doubts Mathis would have come here anyways. He claimed to have turned down a $5.5 million offer to play on another team. He probably would view this as a rebulding year for the team and he prefers to play for a contender.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have my doubts Mathis would have come here anyways. He claimed to have turned down a $5.5 million offer to play on another team. He probably would view this as a rebulding year for the team and he prefers to play for a contender.

Yeah, I think I mentioned that in the other thread. It takes two to tango, as they say.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't ignore the situation. During the opening stanza of FA and the draft, he thought he would have Kilgore back at C for opening day, Boone would hold down one of the OG spots, Thomas and Martin would be rolling and likely in competition for the other OG spot, and he thought RT was locked down by Anthony Davis. He added a backup RT. I can't say that was a terrible decision unless he can see into the future and predict Anthony Davis' retirement.
I guess but when it did happen he still had options. I don't know how they can be so wrong about martin and Thomas. They both look like they are another year away. I don't blame him for Kilgore. Everyone thought he would be back. I just think they should of at least signed a better back up tackle just in case AD or Staley went down. AD has a history of injuries coming off a year where he played 7 games. Plus he didn't draft any T in the draft early on 1st 4 rds.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the CB position, he "ignored" it because of the young guys. Now you're faulting him for his draft picks seemingly panning out? Get a grip.
No im just saying we lost a lot at that position and ignored by resigning Cook(who is bad and then cut him), and Wright who was ranked almost as bad. He usually re signs his players because he knows what he has and he let Cox leave for what 1-2 mill more. Come on. Im ok to see the what the young kids can do but lets be honest these weren't high draft picks. Expectations are low. With Cox I feel this team would be in better shape. Again Im not killing him for this because it looks like we will be avg at this position. it just would of been nice to have cox back.

My main think is the Oline and I think most said it would be bad this year. For him to be blind on this situation is his fault. Oline is one of the most important positions. Lets hope they get better. if not we are in trouble on the offensive side of the ball.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess but when it did happen he still had options. I don't know how they can be so wrong about martin and Thomas. They both look like they are another year away. I don't blame him for Kilgore. Everyone thought he would be back. I just think they should of at least signed a better back up tackle just in case AD or Staley went down. AD has a history of injuries coming off a year where he played 7 games. Plus he didn't draft any T in the draft early on 1st 4 rds.

We probably should have been more aggressive in addressing backup OT, and it's fair to criticize him for that, but it's simply not accurate to say he ignored the OL. And saying he was "so wrong" about Martin and Thomas is completely premature. Martin was one of the youngest rookies in the league, and Thomas was injured. It stands to reason there would have been growing pains from both of them this year.

I'm not saying I'm please with the situation, but adding Mathis was not the right move for this team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No im just saying we lost a lot at that position and ignored by resigning Cook(who is bad and then cut him), and Wright who was ranked almost as bad. He usually re signs his players because he knows what he has and he let Cox leave for what 1-2 mill more. Come on. Im ok to see the what the young kids can do but lets be honest these weren't high draft picks. Expectations are low. With Cox I feel this team would be in better shape. Again Im not killing him for this because it looks like we will be avg at this position. it just would of been nice to have cox back.

My main think is the Oline and I think most said it would be bad this year. For him to be blind on this situation is his fault. Oline is one of the most important positions. Lets hope they get better. if not we are in trouble on the offensive side of the ball.

Yes, Baalke is good at keeping his guys. And he let Cox walk for a pretty reasonable contract. He also cut him the year before. It's just possible that Baalke thinks Cox is pretty replaceable. Whether he was right about that or not remains to be seen. And sure, the young guys aren't high draft picks. Neither is Brock. Neither was Brown. Neither was Cox. Neither was Culliver, though he was higher than others. Rodgers was a high pick, but a low FA acquisition. Baalke has shown a great eye for CB talent. Until these guys fail, it's silly to criticize Baalke for relying on them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We probably should have been more aggressive in addressing backup OT, and it's fair to criticize him for that, but it's simply not accurate to say he ignored the OL. And saying he was "so wrong" about Martin and Thomas is completely premature. Martin was one of the youngest rookies in the league, and Thomas was injured. It stands to reason there would have been growing pains from both of them this year.

I'm not saying I'm please with the situation, but adding Mathis was not the right move for this team.
Ok so lets go with he should of been more aggressive and his vision of Thomas and martin for this year might be off a year.

I just think mathis would of been nice and our oline would actually wouldn't be the biggest weakness. Mathis, Boone and Staley would be strong for us.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Baalke is good at keeping his guys. And he let Cox walk for a pretty reasonable contract. He also cut him the year before. It's just possible that Baalke thinks Cox is pretty replaceable. Whether he was right about that or not remains to be seen. And sure, the young guys aren't high draft picks. Neither is Brock. Neither was Brown. Neither was Cox. Neither was Culliver, though he was higher than others. Rodgers was a high pick, but a low FA acquisition. Baalke has shown a great eye for CB talent. Until these guys fail, it's silly to criticize Baalke for relying on them.
I agree with you on Baalke about eye for talent at secondary. He usually does a great job that is why it was odd what he did this year with Cook and Wright and letting go of Cox. I do trust baalke, I actually like baalke. I think overall he does a nice job I just think he some times over thinks things or his view on some of his players are off.

I just hope every thing works out. This week will be a sign on how we will do this year. starters have to play at least 1 half.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok so lets go with he should of been more aggressive and his vision of Thomas and martin for this year might be off a year.

I just think mathis would of been nice and our oline would actually wouldn't be the biggest weakness. Mathis, Boone and Staley would be strong for us.

Haha. Then our biggest weakness would be Kap.