• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marty trade for Callahan and picks

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very surprised this deal happened. It's sad to see Marty go, good luck in NY but he wanted out so that's the best place for him. I do like the deal overall, I think Cally is a good player perhaps not as good as what he's possibly demanding but still a good player. He brings grit and physicality what we need especially amongst our forward group. He brings a little a bit of everything and plays the game hard is a tremendous leader. I really hope we keep him long term, his physical and gritty elements of his game is something we lack throughout our organization amongst the forward group. We have enough soft skilled players, we need more forwards who have that sandpaper in their game just like Cally.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Danny, Callahan is just what we need I think it improves our team though I hate to see Marty leave. He,s been a part of the Lightning for so long its going to be strange without him.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yzerman did good also got some good draft picks! But the question is can we resign Callahan ?

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, the best of luck to MSL! Man, I am sure going to miss you & I know the Bolts are also! 7 missed games since the start of the 2002-2003 season! Damn Marty, I was sure you would have been the Bolts 1st retired sweater & 2nd statue! Cally has missed 17 games this season alone! True, he is gritty & I do hope he shows our girls how to stick up for Bishop, Fillp (who was knocked on his ass in last night's game - 1st game back since ankle injury), etc. But I'm not expecting much. His quote sounded like he was bitter to leave the Rangers. "I truly thought that we'd work something out that worked for both sides," Callahan said. "I said all along going through this I wanted to stay there and I wanted to get a deal done, and that was the truth.
"But that's part of the business, that unfortunately you have to deal with, and we couldn't find a deal that worked for both sides."
In my opinion SY is the village idiot for not going after a D-Man to shore up our leaky D. Hell, what D? Oh yea, Bishop. He's our D! Anyway Marty, we'll miss you & welcome disgruntled Cally, I'm sure you'll fit in with the rest of our pass-o-matic bunch of underachievers!

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really starting to like this Callahan more and more and I don think he's a guy who the should retain long term. What is Cally worth well, I think he's very similar to Dustin Brown whose cap hit is 5.875. I don't think is as good as Brown but similar so I think Cally should be looking at 5.5 - 5.75, somewhere in that region. These potential UFA's always overprice themselves, look at Bozak in the summer he wanted up towards 5 - 6 mill, he's nowhere near that caliber of player. Callahan has done the same and there were rumors saying he started to lower his price. If we keep Callahan long term this is a good move by Yzerman, if not I still don't mind it because we have relieved some salary and we have the prospects to make a splash.

I just think he's the sort of forward we need. Not the biggest but plays big. Adds that grit we need especially along the boards, kills penalties, again not big with only being 6"0 but gives us a net presence, he's always in and around that net. He also hits, again we need to get more physical in our forward group. plays the game relentlessly, and again he's a leader. Marty's leadership will be missed but Callahan's leadership will be welcomed.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can resign Cally as a D-Man! Because I'm sure the village idiot will spend the picks on forwards!

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can resign Cally as a D-Man! Because I'm sure the village idiot will spend the picks on forwards!
I get the feeling slater koekkoek is going to be that defenseman you want next season

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand your frustration as we do need D but as I said there was no market for D men? How many top 4 dman got shipped at the deadline? 2 or 3. Andy MacDonald, Stephane Robidas and i'd say there was only 2 because I don't rate Meszaros. Ideally MacDonald are Robidas 2nd pair dmen and we need a top 2 dman to play with Hedman and both players would of been rentals unless MacDonald re-signed but that's another question in itself which Yzerman wasn't interested in. I do think Yzerman will be shopping for a top 2 dman in the summer, in fact I guarantee it. He's got a wealth of youngster's/prospects and he's also got some more draft picks at his disposal in what is said to be a deep class in 2015. Yzerman is a smart GM, one of the best in the league in my opinion. He's too smart not to address the D, he will do so in the summer with the cap going up. I really do think Edler or Bieska will be targeted in the summer, I think Edler is most likely considering we has interest in him last summer and leading up to the deadline. I get you point, we need D and we need it now but the market simple wasn't there for what Yzerman is looking for and what we need.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you guys might know I have always been a big fan of MStL, I really hate how this went down. He should've let bygones be bygones and stayed with the Lightning. I have been reading a lot of negative feedback on MStL on Lightning message boards, I hope you Lightning fans will always remember him for what he did for you guys instead of remember him for leaving over a petty disagreement. IDK what to say, I'm really surprised that Yzerman's decision to initially leave him off the Canadian roster hurt him that deeply. Really was shocked when I heard of this trade.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really starting to like this Callahan more and more and I don think he's a guy who the should retain long term. What is Cally worth well, I think he's very similar to Dustin Brown whose cap hit is 5.875. I don't think is as good as Brown but similar so I think Cally should be looking at 5.5 - 5.75, somewhere in that region. These potential UFA's always overprice themselves, look at Bozak in the summer he wanted up towards 5 - 6 mill, he's nowhere near that caliber of player. Callahan has done the same and there were rumors saying he started to lower his price. If we keep Callahan long term this is a good move by Yzerman, if not I still don't mind it because we have relieved some salary and we have the prospects to make a splash.

I just think he's the sort of forward we need. Not the biggest but plays big. Adds that grit we need especially along the boards, kills penalties, again not big with only being 6"0 but gives us a net presence, he's always in and around that net. He also hits, again we need to get more physical in our forward group. plays the game relentlessly, and again he's a leader. Marty's leadership will be missed but Callahan's leadership will be welcomed.
I think tampa's plan is to resign callahan vinik and yzerman said that they intend to try and sign callahan long term. They just shipped out a vet forward so they need a vet forward because drouin is coming in next season. As for the defense it's going to be addressed this summer! thats a fact! yzerman is going to do it via trade. I expect connolly to be apart of the package for edler or something else sent out.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you guys might know I have always been a big fan of MStL, I really hate how this went down. He should've let bygones be bygones and stayed with the Lightning. I have been reading a lot of negative feedback on MStL on Lightning message boards, I hope you Lightning fans will always remember him for what he did for you guys instead of remember him for leaving over a petty disagreement. IDK what to say, I'm really surprised that Yzerman's decision to initially leave him off the Canadian roster hurt him that deeply. Really was shocked when I heard of this trade.
The problem I do have with st.louis is he quit on this team during a playoff run! thats not cool at all! but in time the lightning will retire his jersey he is still a lightning guy forever. But hating yzerman is fine but vinik, the fans in tampa and his teamates had nothing to do with his problems with stevie y. I sure hope the lightning play the rangers in the playoffs and bishop shuts them down and out.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am grateful for all Marty did for Tampa. He and Vinny will be missed and remembered by all Tampa fans. This will be a new era for Tampa. Led by Stamkos, Callahan, Hedman Bishop and Fillpula. Next to go will be Malone.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HheOTE =DoobeeDoobeeDoo;4612745]Some of you guys might know I have always been a big fan of MStL, I really hate how this went down. He should've let bygones be bygones and stayed with the Lightning. I have been reading a lot of negative feedback on MStL on Lightning message boards, I hope you Lightning fans will always remember him for what he did for you guys instead of remember him for leaving over a petty disagreement. IDK what to say, I'm really surprised that Yzerman's decision to initially leave him off the Canadian roster hurt him that deeply. Really was shocked when I heard of this trade.[/QUOTE]

You all can Google this probably but the NBC news local here in Tampa, FL. reported that the 1st time MSL asked for a trade was in 2009. That would have been 1 year before the 1st time he was snubbed by SY to play in the Olympics! With that stated, I now really think that the 2nd snubbing was probably the straw that broke the camels back! He addressed his Tampa fans & still insisted that he didn't want to say anything about why. This kind of points to some sort of rift that may have happened after the Stanley Cup Season. Perhaps his philosophy did not ever mesh with the Bolts front office & coaching? We may never know the reason why he left. I have always loved having him here in Tampa & I'll always love to watch him play this great sport! My best wishes & prayers go out to MSL & his family. Marty, I sure as heck miss you already. I was sad as heck when I saw him being interviewed & he was wearing his new Rangers sweater for the 1st time!

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna come here and give you guys a little more info about Cally, from a perspective of a guy who has watched him for 6+ years. The player you're getting, is one of the hardest workers in all of the NHL. Not many at his size are succesful in this league or can even say they played this long in the game. For his size he plays a big mans game, he is one of the most psyichal forwards in the game. He will literally hit everything on the ice, he is always finishing his checks, he is one of the best penalty killers in the league, and I've never seen somebody use their body as a shield as much as he has in his career.

I loved my Captain and very appreciative of all he has done for us here. We all respect him and what he brought to the ice for us. He was everything that you wanted in a NYR, and represented what it meant to put the blueshirt on your back. He was an excellent leader, it will be very hard to find one person bash him for any of that, for his on and off the ice action. I wish him the best of luck with you guys and i'll be checking in here from time to time, if you guys don't mind, to see how he is playing with you guys. :suds:

Now, as for the deal, we may have given a lot with the picks, but it doesn't bother me. MSL is one of the most well conditioned guys in the league and playing last night with us, you would think he's been playing here for years already. He fit in so well, the chemistry between him and Richards was like the early 2000's all over again. I'm looking forward to the next year and a half with him on my Rangers.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Johnny & thank you, however, by Cally's quote one can see that he is disgruntled about coming here. We'll see how it all plays out. If he isn't disgruntled than he's highly disappointed. I do believe that quote by him is on this thread a bit in the upwards direction. I copied & pasted from nhl.com but it was a quote from a press conference. Only time will tell how he accepts being a Bolt.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Johnny & thank you, however, by Cally's quote one can see that he is disgruntled about coming here. We'll see how it all plays out. If he isn't disgruntled than he's highly disappointed. I do believe that quote by him is on this thread a bit in the upwards direction. I copied & pasted from nhl.com but it was a quote from a press conference. Only time will tell how he accepts being a Bolt.

What happened to him here wont effect his play and effort with you guys, don't worry. You're gonna get a guy who gives it his all and leaves everything on the ice, night in and night out. Trust me.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HheOTE =DoobeeDoobeeDoo;4612745]Some of you guys might know I have always been a big fan of MStL, I really hate how this went down. He should've let bygones be bygones and stayed with the Lightning. I have been reading a lot of negative feedback on MStL on Lightning message boards, I hope you Lightning fans will always remember him for what he did for you guys instead of remember him for leaving over a petty disagreement. IDK what to say, I'm really surprised that Yzerman's decision to initially leave him off the Canadian roster hurt him that deeply. Really was shocked when I heard of this trade.

You all can Google this probably but the NBC news local here in Tampa, FL. reported that the 1st time MSL asked for a trade was in 2009. That would have been 1 year before the 1st time he was snubbed by SY to play in the Olympics! With that stated, I now really think that the 2nd snubbing was probably the straw that broke the camels back! He addressed his Tampa fans & still insisted that he didn't want to say anything about why. This kind of points to some sort of rift that may have happened after the Stanley Cup Season. Perhaps his philosophy did not ever mesh with the Bolts front office & coaching? We may never know the reason why he left. I have always loved having him here in Tampa & I'll always love to watch him play this great sport! My best wishes & prayers go out to MSL & his family. Marty, I sure as heck miss you already. I was sad as heck when I saw him being interviewed & he was wearing his new Rangers sweater for the 1st time![/QUOTE]

That's nuts that this has been an issue for so long. I'm surprised he was able to play at such a high level for so long if this has been running for 5 years now. I don't think it's fair to take sides or judge. I think both management & MSL did what was best for themselves and I could respect that, at the end we all gotta look out for #1.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doobee, the Rangers & their great fans will find this out. Marty is a true professional with a heart greater than his play. He is not only the hardest worker on the ice hands down but a great leader. He totally gives of himself for the better of others & his team. Truly Marty is a future hall of famer & I do hope that he chooses a Bolt uniform in it.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doobee, the Rangers & their great fans will find this out. Marty is a true professional with a heart greater than his play. He is not only the hardest worker on the ice hands down but a great leader. He totally gives of himself for the better of others & his team. Truly Marty is a future hall of famer & I do hope that he chooses a Bolt uniform in it.

And the Lightning fans will soon learn the same for Cally. This was a really good deal, first time two Captains were traded for one another.

Congrats to Stammer on getting the ''C'' well deserved. :suds:

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Lightning fans will soon learn the same for Cally. This was a really good deal, first time two Captains were traded for one another.

Congrats to Stammer on getting the ''C'' well deserved. :suds:

It's only a good deal if the lightning resign Callahan