• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marshall's shoulder

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoulder problems are a pretty bad sign, no matter what they tell you.

Reds taking extra-cautious approach with S. Marshall

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Shoulder issues beleaguered Reds lefty reliever Sean Marshall for most of the 2013 season. The club is trying to stave off more problems in 2014.

Marshall has yet to appear in any of Cincinnati's first four games this spring. His throwing program has already been more limited than others so he would not peak too soon and get overworked.

Now the Reds want to slow him down a little more.

"He's just a little stiff," Reds manager Bryan Price said on Saturday. "We're going to be on the front end of this thing. We're going to back him off. He doesn't need a full Spring Training to be ready for Opening Day. He did all of his offseason throwing. Slowing him down a little bit here, hopefully, will pay dividends later in the spring."

Marshall was limited to 16 games last season after he spent May 24-Sept. 15 on the disabled list, first with a left shoulder sprain. While nearing the end of his original rehabilitation in July, he developed tendinitis and was out another two months.

Marshall, 31, isn't expected to see any action the first week of Cactus League games, possibly the first two weeks.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible trade, horrible signing in hindsight. This guy probably won't ever see the field again in a Reds uniform. Chalk one up for the Reds' award winning medical staff.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Broxton almost as unlikely to pitch and Marshall a real puzzle, it begins to make sense now why Price is so insistent about Chapman in the bullpen.

What looks unusual is that Simon evidently is getting prepped to replace Latos early on.

Of course, Simon would go back to the bullpen. Haven't heard about Parra yet.

Gotta wonder if Hoover might become the closer and Chappy the setup guy. I suppose you could mix and match there. Lucky for me, I don't have to understand "roles" since the new manager doesn't seem inclined to believe in that sort of thing.

Which is nice.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He's just a little stiff". It sounds to me like he still has problems. He has had almost a year to work that stiffness out.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall has stiffness in his shoulder, Leake has a abdominal strain, Latos needed knee surgery while coming off elbow surgery, Broxton isn't ready to go, and that's all with none of the above even throwing a pitch in a Cactus League game.

Saw a story where Jack Hannahan had surgery to repair a tear in his right shoulder labrum and isn't ready to go. Apparently he injured it last spring diving for a grounder, seems like he could have had it taken care of last year while he was busy riding the bench. Not that Jack is a deal breaker in either of the last two seasons, but it makes you wonder.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a lot of "medicine" being practiced these days.
The exceptions being Broxton and Latos. Marshall is having that "tired arm" again that sounds strangely like something of a problem. Leake being out is evidently precautionary so I have no problem with that.
Hannahan -- meh ... pay the guy off and let him retire.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He IS a stiff. The dude throws breaking balls into righty hitters and throws fastballs to lefties. Time wasn't on his side anyway. He wasn't good enough to close or start for the freekin Cubs, for chrissake. Walt thought he was worth 3 players and a raise though. Hindsight is 20:20, but I think he missed on Marshall.