• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Reynolds DFA'd

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that Reynolds hasn't hit for the past 2 months and his average is crappy, but this still comes as a surprise to me.

My question is this: Do the Sox try and trade for him, or wait until he clears waivers and sign him as a free agent?

We have an opening at 3B, and if we use Reynolds there only against lefties, he could have some value down the stretch. The guy has a swing (and a miss!) tailored for Fenway.

We then don't have to rely on Bogaerts being the savior at 3B down the stretch and the Sox can work him in at both SS and 3B over the final 6 weeks.

His defense is bad too, but I would still take a shot as long as he doesn't play every day. As much as I like him as a utility player, Brock Holt is nobody's answer at 3B.

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, please no....... Can you imagine having to watch him and Napoli strike out all the time?

General3110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me Reynolds from a few years ago and we would be alright. The guy can play both 1B and 3B not well at all and he can only hit for power or strike out but in a worst case scenario maybe and I mean maybe worst case scenario. Like as in Middlebrooks doesn't do anything and they don't bring up Xander. Otherwise let his ass be signed by the Rays or O's or even better the Yanks and let him suck there.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine having to watch him and Napoli strike out all the time?

Good point. The Monster was made to withstand balls bashing against it, but I don't think it could handle that wind.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Middlebrooks at 1B and Bogaerts at 3B?

"What an athlete he is," Middlebrooks said. "He's really young [20 years old] and really raw, but he has some of the best tools I've ever seen. Once he polishes those, he's going to be a really good ballplayer."

Asked if he considered himself to be in competition with Bogaerts for a callup to the Major League club, Middlebrooks was quick to respond.

"Not at all," Middlebrooks said. "I didn't see it as a competition at all. I was there to help him. Whatever position he plays ... he's going to be really good at it."

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to hear that Middlebrooks has a good attitude about it. I don't think the two are in a direct competition just yet. The scouting reports suggest that Bogaerts can play a few seasons at SS before switching positons.

Middlebrooks should be more worried about Garin Cecchini. Cecchini also profiles as a good 3B, and the kid can flat out hit (and run).

In a perfect world, Middlebrooks ends up at 1B, with Cecchini at 3B and Bogaerts at SS in the near term, before making a move to LF long term.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that Reynolds hasn't hit for the past 2 months and his average is crappy, but this still comes as a surprise to me.

My question is this: Do the Sox try and trade for him, or wait until he clears waivers and sign him as a free agent?

We have an opening at 3B, and if we use Reynolds there only against lefties, he could have some value down the stretch. The guy has a swing (and a miss!) tailored for Fenway.

We then don't have to rely on Bogaerts being the savior at 3B down the stretch and the Sox can work him in at both SS and 3B over the final 6 weeks.

His defense is bad too, but I would still take a shot as long as he doesn't play every day. As much as I like him as a utility player, Brock Holt is nobody's answer at 3B.
We do not have any opening in the infield, Middlebrooks will do quite nicely, thank you.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do not have any opening in the infield, Middlebrooks will do quite nicely, thank you.

A little late to the party with that reply. Where were you before Middy was called back up? If you read the posts that followed, the main subject of the thread was long gone.

Thanks for your input, though. Much appreciated.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds signs with the Yankees, just in time for their visit to Fenway. Coincidence? Possibly, but I'm not buying it.

Reynolds terrorized the Sox last year, and at Fenway Park too!