• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mario Williams won't get tagged?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Williams - LB - Texans

The franchise tag is not believed to be an option for the Texans in retaining free agent Mario Williams.
Williams earned $18 million in 2011. The mandatory franchise-tag raise would push his 2012 salary to a prohibitive $22.9 million, leaving Williams with quite a bit of leverage in contract talks. Williams' preference is to stay in Houston, but his agent surely realizes there's a good chance the best pass rusher on the market will break the bank in free agency. The Chargers and Raiders are two of the many teams sure to be interested if Williams hits the open market.
Related: Chargers, Raiders
Source: Houston Chronicle
Jan 25 - 10:10 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd let Brooks walk and cut Gore in a heartbeat if we brought in Williams.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I want SuperMario so badly. However, why would cutting Gore necessary for that to happen?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuz we need cap space to sign a WR

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Mario just as much, BUT not cutting Gore to get it AND depends on what he's asking for..... we have our own FA to retain along with certain WR to chase....

damn it... cap hell distance!!!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think QBs would be dead by half time if we had SuperMario and Aldon together.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Yeah, but WE'd still have to score, dead opposing QB or not! We need WRs and the dependable RB which we currently have.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't Mario get close to the same deal as Peppers?? Or is his injury (Achilles or ACL?) expected to make his pricetag about 60mil instead of 90mil?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

True. But taking one major weapon away from Alex could cause him to regress in terms of production. His blitz pickup is so phenomenal that I don't think it's irreplaceable. This could also have an adverse affect on our receivers too, especially someone like Vernon Davis.

Someone like Matt Forte would work well in our offense, but there's no way in hell we will be able to sign him to a contract to replace Gore. I am not comfortable in having a rookie and Hunter be our leading backs (in terms of depth chart) next year.

I would select someone like Bryce Brown in the 7th round if not, I would bring him in as an UDFA. He could be in the level of LeGarette Blount in terms of draft steals. Knowing how talented he is, I still wouldn't spend a draft pick on him.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah fuck, you just killed my dream. There is no way we can come close to this:
Julius Peppers Contract, Salaries, and Transactions
2010 cap hit was insane!

That's what I'm here for, I'm in the business of killing dreams.:badmin:

Seriously though, it's too bad the FA rate for a guy like Mario is so high, man that'd be incredible to be rushing Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, and Mario Williams... O-Lines and QBs wouldn't sleep for three days leading up to the game...

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets hurt too often to spend that much dough on him.

Besides, Brooks Reed made him expendable.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious why you would cut Gore?

That was under the unrealistic scenario of adding Mario Williams and a free agent WR. With that in mind I would cut Gore because it would clear up salary space. His replacement would be Hunter and a draft pick/cheaper free agent back. I like Mario/Hunter/? over Gore/Brooks. I also feel Gore is a replaceable talent.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I doubt we would cut Gore. We will probably keep him until his production drops off, and when his production drops off we'll tell him he'll be splitting time with Hunter 50/50 or somebody else and we'll ask him to take a haircut.
That's the way LT was treated, and I believe that's the way a team leader and franchise back and all time leading 49er rusher should be treated. Eventually LT bolted to the Jets (no pun intended).

Plus, Gore was still by far our best RB. Hunter had some good runs but that's when he was spelling Gore. Don't undervalue Gore he's still a top 10 RB in the league.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we would cut Gore. We will probably keep him until his production drops off, and when his production drops off we'll tell him he'll be splitting time with Hunter 50/50 or somebody else and we'll ask him to take a haircut.
That's the way LT was treated, and I believe that's the way a team leader and franchise back and all time leading 49er rusher should be treated. Eventually LT bolted to the Jets (no pun intended).

Plus, Gore was still by far our best RB. Hunter had some good runs but that's when he was spelling Gore. Don't undervalue Gore he's still a top 10 RB in the league.

I'm not. I just realize that he's in his decline years and is already splitting time with a younger back and given the choice of building an all-time great defense Gore would go bye bye to make the numbers work.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha im ar work reading this and see we'll ask him to take a haircut I lost it