• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners vs A's in Japan

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right next to the current stadiums. They zoned the entire area off strictly for sporting and concert events. But they chose Key Arena which is the least accessible location in the city for a sporting event. Even with using light rail, it is going to be a nightmare for 20,000 people getting into a (I hope Kraken) game.

I won't lie I'm still confused as to why it was Key Arena that was decided to be the location of the new arena for the reasons you mentioned. If I'm correct, Chris Hansen was also offering a privately funded arena PLUS a renovation of Key Arena to turn it into a more viable concert venue.

Additionally I'd imagine that the expenses (something like $700m-$800m) to renovate a current venue and keep the current roof is probably much more expensive than just building a new damn arena somewhere else.

I'm also a fan of the Kraken name.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't lie I'm still confused as to why it was Key Arena that was decided to be the location of the new arena for the reasons you mentioned. If I'm correct, Chris Hansen was also offering a privately funded arena PLUS a renovation of Key Arena to turn it into a more viable concert venue.

Additionally I'd imagine that the expenses (something like $700m-$800m) to renovate a current venue and keep the current roof is probably much more expensive than just building a new damn arena somewhere else.

I'm also a fan of the Kraken name.

The Key Arena was chosen for political reasons and why I hate the every member of the Seattle Council. They literally just said no thank you to $200 plus million dollars a year in taxes from Hansen instead of only collecting property tax on his land.

Hansen originally had his MOU where the public used public bonds, but still would’ve been the best private/public deal in the country. I will admit I am a fan boy of that whole project because it was going to revitalize the whole west side of the stadiums and would’ve made tailgating even more fun for fans for Seahawks games.

The current Key project was estimated for $600 million but it’s going to end up over a billion but it’s all behind done behind closed doors so unless something gets leaked no one will end up knowing if the city actually did put money into the project because OVG said they will pay for all cost over runs which since it is in the city there is never a project that actually is completed on budget.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Festa and Rosscup showed some potential this morning. Altavilla was straight trash and should be cut yesterday. Finding a valuable pen arm or two would be a nice bonus this year.

Yea I'm not sure how many more chances Altavilla should get. I'd say maybe one more at some point this year but it seems like he is who he is. Stuff is good, mechanics and head is a mess.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Key Arena was chosen for political reasons and why I hate the every member of the Seattle Council. They literally just said no thank you to $200 plus million dollars a year in taxes from Hansen instead of only collecting property tax on his land.

Hansen originally had his MOU where the public used public bonds, but still would’ve been the best private/public deal in the country. I will admit I am a fan boy of that whole project because it was going to revitalize the whole west side of the stadiums and would’ve made tailgating even more fun for fans for Seahawks games.

The current Key project was estimated for $600 million but it’s going to end up over a billion but it’s all behind done behind closed doors so unless something gets leaked no one will end up knowing if the city actually did put money into the project because OVG said they will pay for all cost over runs which since it is in the city there is never a project that actually is completed on budget.

Not to turn this into a politics related conversation, although I doubt that'll happen because I'm sure most will agree with my sentiments.

I'm honestly baffled by the incompetence of the Seattle City Council. It's honestly quite astounding and it extends far beyond just the arena situation.

Additionally, recently resigned Seattle City Council Rob Johnson member is taking a job with NHL Seattle. The idea that there is no conflict of interest there is about as realistic as saying that the Mariners will win the World Series in 2019.

I'm aware of the political views of voters in Seattle, but it's astonishing that people like this are able to get elected. I would trust an alcoholic not to touch my liquor cabinet before I'd trust any of the "leadership" of Seattle to make a prudent decision.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, not a political thread but Seattle City Council is way out of line AND does a VERY POOR (and rude) job of representing it's constituents. AND no, I do not live in Seattle but have relatives that do. I watch the local news channels and see what is going on in Seattle and am damn glad I DO NOT live in Seattle.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to turn this into a politics related conversation, although I doubt that'll happen because I'm sure most will agree with my sentiments.

I'm honestly baffled by the incompetence of the Seattle City Council. It's honestly quite astounding and it extends far beyond just the arena situation.

Additionally, recently resigned Seattle City Council Rob Johnson member is taking a job with NHL Seattle. The idea that there is no conflict of interest there is about as realistic as saying that the Mariners will win the World Series in 2019.

I'm aware of the political views of voters in Seattle, but it's astonishing that people like this are able to get elected. I would trust an alcoholic not to touch my liquor cabinet before I'd trust any of the "leadership" of Seattle to make a prudent decision.

Ya, I saw that video, then the token apology. Johnson taking the job is as corrupt as they come IMO. He was on the committee choosing because OVG and AEG, as well as on the council that refused to take a hearing on Hansen and Wally Walkers proposal of turning Key Arena into an outdoor amphitheater, which now with all that’s going on with the Showbox, it would’ve been nice for Indy bands to play at. But Johnson being with the SHC kind of goes back to my point is I’m guessing the city will be putting money into the project without letting the public know.

It’s a whole cluster F and I really feel bad for people in the South Sound, where I live, that are hockey fans because there realistically isn’t a good way of getting to the Seattle Center during a weeknight game and I feel bad for basketball fans because with the deal that was brokered for OVG to operate the new arena I can’t see how any smart businessman would buy a franchise to come be a third tenant, so essentially all of us fans would be stuck with another Howard Schultz type owner.

Sorry for the rant, the arena is one thing that just pisses me off and me and most of Seattle sports fans don’t get to vote on any of the council members.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
City of Spokane - FTW!!! Spokane, Richland and Vancouver among top 41 places to live in the USA...

tenor.gif

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I saw that video, then the token apology. Johnson taking the job is as corrupt as they come IMO. He was on the committee choosing because OVG and AEG, as well as on the council that refused to take a hearing on Hansen and Wally Walkers proposal of turning Key Arena into an outdoor amphitheater, which now with all that’s going on with the Showbox, it would’ve been nice for Indy bands to play at. But Johnson being with the SHC kind of goes back to my point is I’m guessing the city will be putting money into the project without letting the public know.

It’s a whole cluster F and I really feel bad for people in the South Sound, where I live, that are hockey fans because there realistically isn’t a good way of getting to the Seattle Center during a weeknight game and I feel bad for basketball fans because with the deal that was brokered for OVG to operate the new arena I can’t see how any smart businessman would buy a franchise to come be a third tenant, so essentially all of us fans would be stuck with another Howard Schultz type owner.

Sorry for the rant, the arena is one thing that just pisses me off and me and most of Seattle sports fans don’t get to vote on any of the council members.

Yeah the entire situation is incredibly frustrating.

It's a massive pain in the ass even to get to and from SODO if you're in the South Sound, or from anywhere 10+ miles from Seattle for that matter. Having to go to Key Arena probably adds another 30+ minutes to your commute. One time it took me an hour to get from a brewery on The Ave (UW) to Safeco for a game at 5:30pm or 6:00pm.

I pay a premium to live in downtown Seattle so that I don't have to deal with driving in the cluster fuck that has become Seattle traffic. I'd save a decent amount if I lived a bit further away from my work, but I'd probably spend an hour + commuting each way every day which isn't worth the money savings IMO. I'd rather spend more money and have an extra hour to waste each day doing stupid shit like post on here.

I love Seattle and don't think I can ever consider anywhere else home, but with all the issues the city is facing I'm strongly considering re-locating somewhere else. I can rant on and on about the reasons why, but I'll just end here.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, not a political thread but Seattle City Council is way out of line AND does a VERY POOR (and rude) job of representing it's constituents. AND no, I do not live in Seattle but have relatives that do. I watch the local news channels and see what is going on in Seattle and am damn glad I DO NOT live in Seattle.

Traffic aside and cost of living aside, the homeless issue is so embarrassing. It's a giant wart on a beautiful city.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traffic aside and cost of living aside, the homeless issue is so embarrassing. It's a giant wart on a beautiful city.

Yeah, the homeless issue is out of control... I'm amazed when I visit Seattle how many homeless people are camped out along the freeway... I90W leading into I-5N I think it is...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the homeless issue is out of control... I'm amazed when I visit Seattle how many homeless people are camped out along the freeway... I90W leading into I-5N I think it is...

I think a huge issue besides the drugs of course, is the dam cost of rent, it's just staggering how much rent is in Seattle now... really sad...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding. I pay over $2,000 a month for a one bedroom apartment in downtown Seattle.

Dang... My mortgage payment each month is 1700 in Spokane for a 3400 sq foot home... 5 bdr and 4 bath, 3 car garage

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a massive pain in the ass even to get to and from SODO if you're in the South Sound, or from anywhere 10+ miles from Seattle for that matter. Having to go to Key Arena probably adds another 30+ minutes to your commute. One time it took me an hour to get from a brewery on The Ave (UW) to Safeco for a game at 5:30pm or 6:00pm.

I pay a premium to live in downtown Seattle so that I don't have to deal with driving in the cluster fuck that has become Seattle traffic. I'd save a decent amount if I lived a bit further away from my work, but I'd probably spend an hour + commuting each way every day which isn't worth the money savings IMO. I'd rather spend more money and have an extra hour to waste each day doing stupid shit like post on here.

I love Seattle and don't think I can ever consider anywhere else home, but with all the issues the city is facing I'm strongly considering re-locating somewhere else. I can rant on and on about the reasons why, but I'll just end here.

It’s not so much the pain to get into Seattle as to more of the fact the City approved the Key without King County having a say and they were the main bond money behind Hansen’s group. The Seattle Center is a Seattle asset so I can understand it but it is just a terrible location to have an arena. In the 60-90’s it wasn’t terrible because the city wasn’t as crammed as it is now and there was parking. Now you are suppose to rely on shitty light rail that doesn’t have capacity to get people home and to the Seattle Center for a week day game.

And I just hate being talked to like a child when all the guys on the council who voted for Hansen’s project but then voted for this one keep siting ST3 as to helping, well ST1 was in 97 and that BS isn’t complete yet and ST3 is 2040 or some crap. As well as I think it was BS Sound Transit came out voacally against Tacoma and made it clear light rail would not return people from Tacoma to the North after 11. Tacoma/Pierce County put feelers out for when they renovated the Tacoma Dome, one of the offers was $100 plus million to turn it into a viable option for a NBA and NHL arena (which it wouldn’t be but that’s besides the point) Politics are toxic but in the mid 90’s politicians fought illegally and against the will of the citizens of Seattle to keep the Mariners and Seahawks realizing that 99% of Seattle sports fan do not live in city limits. And same with Key Arena, .01% of hockey fans had a say in any type of vote because they do not vote for council members.

I just hate the process but the states politicians and activists hate sports and don’t put sports on a pedestal nor are smart enough to realize the tax revenue from sporting events, concerts, exhibits or anything used at an arena go into the public pool to be used on education, housing, homeless, etc. Essentially all the things they are asking you Seattle voters for more in taxes are solved with an arena owned on private land instead of an arena being remodeled at the Seattle Center which is for the 1% or essentially all the Tech employees who can walk from their high rise condos to the hockey match right after work.

Then on top of that the council, mayor and OVG talk about how it will bring back the NBA when not a single smart business person would own a team at that location. The Storm get to play free, hockey is the main tenant (which I guarantee they won’t pay rent) and OVG per their agreement gets 33% of parking, concessions and tickets sales. So essentially a NBA owner is going to spend two plus billion on a franchise to only make money on the tv contract. Sure they will make money, but making 33% of what they draw plus paying rent to the city puts them around 18% of what they are responsible for making and puts them in the exact situation they were in in 2008 when they left because making 1/4 of the money you are rightfully owed is piss poor business. It’s like on your mortgage, if you are paying your full mortgage to your bank but your HOA is telling you you can’t use any utilities or park your car but you can live just on the equity in your empty house.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s not so much the pain to get into Seattle as to more of the fact the City approved the Key without King County having a say and they were the main bond money behind Hansen’s group. The Seattle Center is a Seattle asset so I can understand it but it is just a terrible location to have an arena. In the 60-90’s it wasn’t terrible because the city wasn’t as crammed as it is now and there was parking. Now you are suppose to rely on shitty light rail that doesn’t have capacity to get people home and to the Seattle Center for a week day game.

And I just hate being talked to like a child when all the guys on the council who voted for Hansen’s project but then voted for this one keep siting ST3 as to helping, well ST1 was in 97 and that BS isn’t complete yet and ST3 is 2040 or some crap. As well as I think it was BS Sound Transit came out voacally against Tacoma and made it clear light rail would not return people from Tacoma to the North after 11. Tacoma/Pierce County put feelers out for when they renovated the Tacoma Dome, one of the offers was $100 plus million to turn it into a viable option for a NBA and NHL arena (which it wouldn’t be but that’s besides the point) Politics are toxic but in the mid 90’s politicians fought illegally and against the will of the citizens of Seattle to keep the Mariners and Seahawks realizing that 99% of Seattle sports fan do not live in city limits. And same with Key Arena, .01% of hockey fans had a say in any type of vote because they do not vote for council members.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding. I pay over $2,000 a month for a one bedroom apartment in downtown Seattle.

That is just crazy, my mortgage on a 4 bedroom town house is 1,200 a month, and it's around 2800 square feet, 3 stories... This is just wrong man, no reason rent should be so high ....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang... My mortgage payment each month is 1700 in Spokane for a 3400 sq foot home... 5 bdr and 4 bath, 3 car garage

You're fortunate.

After I graduated law school I could've probably saved up the money for a down payment on a home, but I was committed to getting all my debt paid off and improving my credit rating (I made some stupid financial decisions in college) before I added another significant piece of debt. Considering how much the housing market has appreciated in Seattle, that was a stupid decision. The value of whatever I would've purchased 4 or so years ago would've almost doubled by now.

That's one of the reasons I'm considering moving. I'm at that point in my life where I should invest in real estate, but considering how expensive it is in Seattle and the fact that I believe that property prices have hit their peak, it could be a prudent decision to relocate if purchasing something is my next big life decision.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just crazy, my mortgage on a 4 bedroom town house is 1,200 a month, and it's around 2800 square feet, 3 stories... This is just wrong man, no reason rent should be so high ....

Yeah it's nuts. Unfortunately housing costs started sky rocketing right around the time I was in a situation to consider buying something. Even if I lived a bit further away from downtown, something comparable would run me probably $1700.