• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marian Hossa is so allergic to his equipment, he has to retire

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chris-pronger-and-chairman-ed-snider-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-both-picture-id98399341

YOU HEAR WHAT HE SAID?

hahahahahaha

dynamic_resize

wait .... what?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People can develop allergies, certainly. But...yeah, I'm thinking there's a lot of BS with this. Hard not to think there's a viable solution.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have in fact heard of this. Here's more about it

The Gunk: a Virulent Oozing Rash

But this allergy came at an awfully perfect time for both sides and this story smells worse than his equipment.

All the stuff it was attributed to in this article doesn't seem like it'd be as big an issue today. I imagine they've had to have tried putting him in different equipment. Hell, they have the resources to have stuff specially made.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, it seems like Friedman is the one who used the term allergic reaction. The statements from Hossa and the team doctor both use the term "progressive skin disorder" which could be a lot of things.

Maybe it's more likely that it's some other type of skin condition but that having the equipment on and the sweat and dampness that comes with it is aggravating the skin condition to an unacceptable level.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing about the timing is that it's happening right after the deadline for the expansion draft. I'm sure if the Hawks were able to trade Hossa to Vegas along with a pick or something in order to not take a younger asset they would have. Now that they know it's not possible, the Hawks come out with this announcement.

Something other than Hossa's hockey gear smells.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure the NHL has all the pictures and history of the puss rash and why lose two picks instead of just accepting the 3.6 cap hit thru 2021.

Circumventing the cap does not sound like something you do the week of the draft, 5 months before the season starts.

Not to mention, there are probably steroids in that medication which is why he got tested so often and for all we know, might have had some effect on his performance just like Mark McGuire being on steroid medication for asthma.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, it seems like Friedman is the one who used the term allergic reaction. The statements from Hossa and the team doctor both use the term "progressive skin disorder" which could be a lot of things.

Maybe it's more likely that it's some other type of skin condition but that having the equipment on and the sweat and dampness that comes with it is aggravating the skin condition to an unacceptable level.

We will know that if he returns for the 2018-2019 season.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure the NHL has all the pictures and history of the puss rash and why lose two picks instead of just accepting the 3.6 cap hit thru 2021.

Circumventing the cap does not sound like something you do the week of the draft, 5 months before the season starts.

Not to mention, there are probably steroids in that medication which is why he got tested so often and for all we know, might have had some effect on his performance just like Mark McGuire being on steroid medication for asthma.

Let's be real, Prednisone and performance enhancers are not one in the same.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kronwall played 57 games last year on one knee.
Methot had his finger chopped off and came back to make a Cup run.
Hossa has a skin rash and he's out for the year? Pft!

This ain't baseball, cupcake! Put your skates on and get your ass out there!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prednisone does have ridiculously unpleasant side effects if taken long term though.

I think this is definitely a factor. My guess is this is something along the lines of contact dermatitis, and in such a case it doesn't matter the material that equipment is, it's merely that the equipment is making continued contact and there's no ventilation. Being on steroids long term can really mess with you, and for an athlete it greatly affects performance too. There's definitely viable excuses here...it's just really, really hard to look past the timing.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im walking back off the ledge of cba shenanigans ... Hossa was productive last season ... the games he played against the canucks he was the best player on the ice :noidea:

/BUT MAYBE (in my best Louis CK voice) ... about the timing ... this announcement came yesterday ... the hawks expansion list came out 3 days ago ... has it been disclosed whether Hossa was deemed to be suffering from a career ending injury and therefore exempt from being protected for the expansion draft ?

... and in light of the Kruger news that he wont be/hasnt been traded ... is this connected ? ie Did Kruger (or another player) end up being protected?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hossa needs to eat moar babies. Or villagers, I can't remember if it's babies or villagers he eats.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im walking back off the ledge of cba shenanigans ... Hossa was productive last season ... the games he played against the canucks he was the best player on the ice :noidea:

/BUT MAYBE (in my best Louis CK voice) ... about the timing ... this announcement came yesterday ... the hawks expansion list came out 3 days ago ... has it been disclosed whether Hossa was deemed to be suffering from a career ending injury and therefore exempt from being protected for the expansion draft ?

... and in light of the Kruger news that he wont be/hasnt been traded ... is this connected ? ie Did Kruger (or another player) end up being protected?

I was wondering if they were able to change that, or if they were stuck with their original list. Hossa was on the list, and they did get a bit screwed if he waited to make this decision a few days too late to not be protected.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if they were able to change that, or if they were stuck with their original list. Hossa was on the list, and they did get a bit screwed if he waited to make this decision a few days too late to not be protected.

yah .. he had an NMC ... and iirc (one of) the rumour was the Hawks were going to trade Kruger in return for Vegas picking Van Riemsdyk instead of someone else (or was it just for the hawks to shed cap space ???)

now there are reports Kruger isnt being traded ??? :think: (and now they dont have to urgently shed cap space per se)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah .. he had an NMC ... and iirc (one of) the rumour was the Hawks were going to trade Kruger in return for Vegas picking Van Riemsdyk instead of someone else

now there are reports Kruger isnt being traded ??? :think:

Though as stated earlier...all those trades were already put through yesterday. But I guess the Hawks/VGK may have been told earlier and put the kabosh on everything.

...I can't freaking believe we have to wait an extra day to hear the trades.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem a bit fishy. Still if this is it for Hossa then what a career he had, quite possibly a Hall of Famer.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem a bit fishy. Still if this is it for Hossa then what a career he had, quite possibly a Hall of Famer.

Not sure if he'll be a first ballot induction, but he's definitely a hall of famer in my opinion.