• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Margus Hunt

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sick: I thought you didn't like to draft old guys. Dude is will be 26 next year and will need two solid years to develop because he's so raw. So all pans out and he would already be showing his age by the time he's starting to make any consistent contribution. That's a real bad combination and a hard sell for me to burn a second rounder on.

I don't really want this guy at all, but late 3rd round at the earliest for the inconvenience.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Earth to Sickness... we got the pick 30 picks before that for Alex Smith

30 picks before the Niners' 2nd rounder is the Chiefs' 2nd rounder (33rd overall). You're saying the Niners got the 33rd overall pick for Alex?

I was under the impression it was the 64th overall (1st pick of the 3rd round).

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 picks before the Niners' 2nd rounder is the Chiefs' 2nd rounder (33rd overall). You're saying the Niners got the 33rd overall pick for Alex?

I was under the impression it was the 64th overall (1st pick of the 3rd round).

LOL. Yes, Sick. We are reportedly getting the Chiefs' 2nd rounder (34th overall pick.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the notion that 3rd round is the earliest the Niners should pick Hunt if they want him. Great athlete, but too much of a project and too unproven to pick in the first two rounds. I'm not that worried about his age because I think that wear and tear is as much of a factor as age when projecting how long someone will be productive in the NFL. Hunt doesn't have much wear and tear.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
LOL. Yes, Sick. We are reportedly getting the Chiefs' 2nd rounder (34th overall pick.

I just found this out! I had to lean over when I got up to walk around a bit thinking about the possibility of getting both Jarvis Jones & Jonathan Hankins.

To reiderate what I said in the other thread, I think some team is going to reach for Hunt in the 2nd round. I don't see him developing into a great player, but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him in the 3rd.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just found this out! I had to lean over when I got up to walk around a bit thinking about the possibility of getting both Jarvis Jones & Jonathan Hankins.

To reiderate what I said in the other thread, I think some team is going to reach for Hunt in the 2nd round. I don't see him developing into a great player, but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him in the 3rd.

We also got their 3rd round pick in 2014 that can upgrade to a 2nd based on wins.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We also got their 3rd round pick in 2014 that can upgrade to a 2nd based on wins.

I love the Chiefs!

And I could see them winning 9 or 10 games with Alex. Hello another 2nd rounder??? They actually have a really talented roster.

But they'd get bounced in the playoffs if they made it that far because Alex is there of course.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I like about Hunt is that he's a workout freak, he's strong, has long arms, is fast for his size and he's only been playing football for a few years. I think learning from JSmith and Tomsula, and playing a handful snaps a game to allow him to develop, will do wonders for him.

I'd prefer to use Carolina's #3 or the niners #3 on him. But if Baalke likes him and thinks he'll be gone by the time their next pick comes up, I'm ok with using the niners #2 on him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What I like about Hunt is that he's a workout freak, he's strong, has long arms, is fast for his size and he's only been playing football for a few years. I think learning from JSmith and Tomsula, and playing a handful snaps a game to allow him to develop, will do wonders for him.

I'd prefer to use Carolina's #3 or the niners #3 on him. But if Baalke likes him and thinks he'll be gone by the time their next pick comes up, I'm ok with using the niners #2 on him.

The workout numbers and strength often don't or haven't translated to the field. At least not yet and I have fears it may never come to him even with Tomsula's impact. He's still not real good with his arms, leverage (consistency isn't there), or moves yet either. I'd even go as far to say that based on what I've seen the speed doesn't translate to his game either. I know I've said it a couple times now but I would not take him in the first 3 rounds if it were my call.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be truly upset if they made this pick in the first round.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here are my first impressions of this guy. His strength and speed can overpower college tackles and attack slow stationary QB's. He won't be able to get away with it in the pros unless he greatly improves his overall technique and develops actual pass rush moves to give tackles something to think about. He should be strong against the run with his strength and speed but he is not. That is because of bad technique that will be exposed repeatedly at the next level.

When anything breaks down from a linear play, he's pretty much useless because he can't finish anything in space. Translate this to the NFL and I can't even imagine him actually tackling an athletic QB who sees him with any space. For the most part he'll end up just running fast in straight lines towards a QB/RB like a robot. I hope some team eats a pick on this guy right before one of our picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here are my first impressions of this guy. His strength and speed can overpower college tackles and attack slow stationary QB's. He won't be able to get away with it in the pros unless he greatly improves his overall technique and develops actual pass rush moves to give tackles something to think about. He should be strong against the run with his strength and speed but he is not. That is because of bad technique that will be exposed repeatedly at the next level.

When anything breaks down from a linear play, he's pretty much useless because he can't finish anything in space. Translate this to the NFL and I can't even imagine him actually tackling an athletic QB who sees him with any space. For the most part he'll end up just running fast in straight lines towards a QB/RB like a robot. I hope some team eats a pick on this guy right before one of our picks.

yes, this is a possibility and why GM's live and die by their drafts. what about using the 2nd rounder from KC? our own 2nd rounder?

even if Baalke projects him a "linear" pass rusher his rookie season, we could REALLY use that? bring him in like we used Aldon his rookie season? then you can mix Aldon and Margus along the rush front.

if he isn't a 'fierce' rusher, then of course don't even draft him this high.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This guy is raw but at least he has the athletic potential to replace Justin Smith eventually.

Do you see any other 3-4 DE in the early 2nd round with the same potential?

I'd be ok if we took a chance on this guy in the 2nd. Let him learn and get some reps behind Justin.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is raw but at least he has the athletic potential to replace Justin Smith eventually.

Do you see any other 3-4 DE in the early 2nd round with the same potential?

I'd be ok if we took a chance on this guy in the 2nd. Let him learn and get some reps behind Justin.

The question is, when do you want to cut Smith loose? I think Smith has at least 2 years left in him at a high level. That and considering that this guy is 26 years old, he would be 28 by the time he was ready to start.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What I like about Hunt is that he's a workout freak, he's strong, has long arms

Actually, you'd think by being 6'8 he'd have long arms, but he actually doesn't. They're only 33 5/8. That's shorter than Sam Montgomery's. There are a bunch of DL who have longer arms than he.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hunt is way too light to play defensive end for us. Yes, he's 277 pounds, but he's 6'8" 277 pounds. That's the equivalent of 240 or 250 points to a normal 6'2" or 6'3" guy. I see Hunt being more of a linebacker - like a Mike Vrabel type. Basically, someone we don't need. I'd like to have his field goal blocking ability though.