• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus Mariota

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember as much speculation around a draft pick as this guy. In the past week, the Eagles, Chargers, Browns and Rams are all rumored to have interest in Mariota. (And some of these same teams have conflicting reports that they are not interested.)

Let's not forget that the Titans still hold the #2 pick. And the Jets were also on the list of suitors. Mariota also visited with the Bears.

The Bucs can throw a huge wrench into this by taking him first overall. That's an 8-team swing!

And then there is Mariota's skillset. I've heard everything from huge "bust" to potentially "elite."

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
intriguing for sure, id still want jameis.......just me though.....

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love my Buc's we need Winston!!! Pure passer and accurate!!!!!

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'd be hilarious if TB takes him first, watch Winston drop like a stone. There's zero need to bring on that kind of risk at that position. Wouldn't touch Winston until the mid rounds, where the risk is mitigated...not to mention the pressure on an obviously immature person is greatly eased

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Mariota himself, I see a probable Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Flacco, type QB...above average, franchise-esque, with the potential to be elite, so long as the franchise around him is also decent.

Winston however, has Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, written all over him, with best possible upside being Vince Young or maybe Jeff George, if he's very lucky

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see know Russell, George or leaf in Winston!!!!! Vince young was a baller have you seen his win lost record . Have you seen this risk of players that come out the Draft. Randy moss, Bruce Irvin,etc

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see know Russell, George or leaf in Winston!!!!! Vince young was a baller have you seen his win lost record . Have you seen this risk of players that come out the Draft. Randy moss, Bruce Irvin,etc
First off, fairly or not, QB'S are given far too much credit, and blame, for a win loss record. And while his percentage is decent, 31-20 isn't exactly bragging material. More int's than TD's in a career, along with a mediocre QBR say he was a borderline baller at best.. Jeff George was twice the QB Young ever was, but was the head of some horrid teams.

All those guys were considered "ballers " coming out, all had issues, all eventually succumbed to those issues. And the only difference that matters between them and guys like Randy Moss or Bruce Irvin..they didn't pkay the most pressure packed position on the field. Winston will fold, just a matter of when

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston Heisman, national champion and 1 loss in 2 years. Jeff George really treff!!!!!!!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: Winston
If I were a GM, the red flag for me is "off field issues" period. Stupid trumps talent almost every time. And most players that have off field issues in college come to have off field issues in the pros. It's tough enough for a player with zero off field issues to be successful in the NFL. Adding off field nonsense can't help their odds.

Found an article on 2014 players with off field issues: of the skill players...
QB Manziel - work ethic and game prep issues became a reality for the Browns.
RB Jeremy Hill - 2 criminal incidents seem to be behind him - so far.
WR Mike Davis - cut by the Raiders.
RB Isaiah Crowell - labeled "difficult to coach" and may be losing touches to Terrance West.

Its similar to fantasy football. You have risky players. Some will take a flier on a Josh Gordon or someone with an injury history. But some will think to themselves, "Let him be someone else's problem."

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston Heisman, national champion and 1 loss in 2 years. Jeff George really treff!!!!!!!
You're starting to make a fool of yourself here Dawg.

Heisman trophy doesn't mean jack, and even if it did, Mariota had one too, but since thes only been 2 winners the past 13 years to ever amount to diddly squat as a pro, not exactly anything to brag about, and proves nothing about how you'll be as a pro. Nor do college wins and losses, just ask Tebow, who may refer you to Danny Wurfel, or any number of college QB's who won nearly every game, it's means nothing.

And please, just stop with the Jeff George..the dude was an amazing QB, with a head case as big as his cannon arm. If he wasn't such a prick and a DB, he very well may have had a HOF career.

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me starting to make a fool of myself, thats your opinion treff!!!! But ain't nothing amazing as about Jeff George!!!!!!!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing as Gurley, but if the Jets get Mariota or Winston, they better do everything they can to make them successful... The first thing is to go offensive line in the 2nd round... If the Jets go for the QB then they also have to go RB in the 3rd round...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me starting to make a fool of myself, thats your opinion treff!!!! But ain't nothing amazing as about Jeff George!!!!!!!!
Your either a little younger than I assumed and didn't see him play early in his career, or you have selective memory, and that's all I can say. Jeff George was a stat monger back in the days where passing wasn't all the rage. Very solid fantasy QB for his time also. But regardless, his being good or bad is irrelevant to the topic at hand other than saying that if Winston can be as good on the field as he was, its a compliment, not an insult.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Mariota news (huge) courtesy of Rotoworld. Three-way trade with the Browns, Eagles and Titans:

NJ.com's Mark Eckel passes along a "rumor making its rounds in NFL personnel meetings" of the Eagles trading Sam Bradford to the Browns for the No. 19 overall pick in the draft.

The Browns already offered No. 19 to the Rams for Bradford, prior to his trade to Philadelphia. St. Louis didn't accept because it wanted a quarterback, and wound up acquiring Nick Foles. The Browns are "still said to have interest" in Bradford. Per Eckel, the rumor has the Eagles then sending Nos. 19 and 20 -- plus Mychal Kendricks and Fletcher Cox -- to the Titans in exchange for No. 2 overall, where Philly would select Marcus Mariota. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported Friday that Bradford currently believes the Eagles may be planning to trade him.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Mariota news (huge) courtesy of Rotoworld. Three-way trade with the Browns, Eagles and Titans:
Seems like a plausible scenario to me, and one we've all assumed would happen for quite some time now. .at least the Philly finding a way to trade up to get him part

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost forgot... heard on Mike & Mike this morning that the Chargers may package Philip Rivers to the Titans so they can get Mariota.

With all of the potential offers on the table for Tennessee, I like the Rivers deal. Instead of getting "a pick" or two, you're getting an established, above-average QB. I just don't trust rookies.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost forgot... heard on Mike & Mike this morning that the Chargers may package Philip Rivers to the Titans so they can get Mariota.

With all of the potential offers on the table for Tennessee, I like the Rivers deal. Instead of getting "a pick" or two, you're getting an established, above-average QB. I just don't trust rookies.

if the rumors of rivers contemplating retirement are true, how long do you get him for

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure that some of that retirement talk is because Rivers probably knows that the Bolts want to move on from him. It could be just talk.

This has already been a wacky free agent off season with plenty of players changing teams. Let's say some of these rumors are true about trading up for Mariota.

• Chargers trade Rivers to TEN. Keenan Allen and Antonio Gates fantasy value gets dinged. Conversly, Delanie Walker and Kendall Wright get bumps.
  • Eagles pull off the 3-way trade. DeMarco Murray and Ryan Mathews may see increased touches. But does Ertz and Jordan Matthews value take a hit? I think so. The other trade partner - the Browns get Sam Bradford. Maybe not a big jump from McCown, but better nonetheless.
  • The Jets? If they win the Mariota sweepstakes, I'm guessing Fitzpatrick still starts in game 1. Maybe. But the stock of Brandon Marshall and Decker have to take a tumble.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe...as to that final scenario. .I'm not sure Marshall and Decker fall much. .I mean, with Fitz, it's not like it was very high to begin with

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Mariota sweepstakes, based on the news reports, it looks now like either the Browns are the front-runners to trade up, or Tennessee will just select him. Chargers are down-playing Rivers trade rumors, and Eagles suddenly seem content with Bradford.